Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Was there a Star Wars Original Theatrical release without caption?

Old 05-18-04, 12:47 PM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey all,

With the heated discussion about the recent change on Star Wars trilogy.. today I was over at my friend's place to view the supposedly original theatrical release of Star Wars on DVD that was ported over from the Laserdisc version which many of you said contained the true release before Lucas made any changes that I knew of.

To my amazement I was shocked to see the caption "Episode IV: A New Hope" at the beginning of the movie. Unlike my friend, I was old enough to go see the original Star Wars when it first came out in theatres in the late 1970's (maybe also the release on TV before Empire Strikes Back) and I recalled never seeing that caption whatsoever until later on that I heard word Lucas would add that in and accepted this minor change.

So my point is.. was there ever any VHS copy of the movie without that caption as it was truly intended to be the theatrical cut without any changes? And to those who say the Laserdisc version is the original cut.. it is not really in my eyes!
Old 05-18-04, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Not an official one, no. That change (adding Episode IV) came before the film was released to VHS. There are, however, bootleg copies of the film floating around without the change... but the quality is obviously terrible.
Old 05-18-04, 02:17 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The "Episode IV: A New Hope" was added for a 1979 rerelease that predated the release of Empire.
Old 05-18-04, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
And to those who say the Laserdisc version is the original cut.. it is not really in my eyes!
I'm sorry if you feel that way.

Every official home video version and every theaterical re-release starting in 1979 had the Ep. 4 caption. That is, for all intensive purposes, the original theaterical cut. Besides the caption change and a slight changing of some sound effects (nothing major) the laserdisc version is the original theaterical version.