MAGNUM PI ON DVD AUGUST 31st!

Community
Search

MAGNUM PI ON DVD AUGUST 31st!

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-04, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Terrell: so what you trying to say that it ran for 9 seasons ? because it certainly did not look it up, i watched it all those years and there was only 8 seasons. you have the years correct in that it ran during them but there was not 9 seasons
Old 05-12-04, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Regarding the number of the seasons, here is a link to TV Tome an internet TV show database, whose judgement I am prepared to accept, which states that it indeed ran for Eight seasons.

http://www.tvtome.com/MagnumPI/season1.html
Old 05-12-04, 03:57 PM

WOO-FREAKIN'-HOO!!

Easily my most anticipated TV series DVD release. Well... next to Seinfeld I guess.
Old 06-01-04, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

More info accounced today in www.tvshowsondvd.com. Unfortunately, it looks like they pushed back the street date a week to 9/07

A few weeks ago we told you that Magnum P.I. - The Complete 1st Season would arrive on DVD on Aug. 31st. Well, we'll admit it: we were wrong.

Today Universal is announcing a September 7th release date for this show from creator Glen A. Larson, and Executive Produced by Donald P. Bellisario. This thrilling action-adventure series was set in the Hawaiian Islands, starring Tom Selleck in the title role.

That rather small pic of the cover art is all we have so far, but we hope to have a better shot of the package later today. We're expecting this release to contain the double-length pilot show, plus the other 16 episodes that made up the entire first season. Expect a 4-DVD set (probably with double-sided discs) at a list price of $59.98.

Specs and other details (like extras) haven't come to light just yet, but we expect Universal to release more information about this shortly. Stay tuned, and we'll bring you the latest on this exciting release!
Old 06-01-04, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Personally I don't like the cover, looks like a video game.

Otherwise thumbs up.
Old 06-01-04, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Nice to see Universal finally opening their floodgates and releasesing their classic shows

Looks like this new merger with NBC made someone in the dvd department haul ass!!

Let's hope The Rockford Files and Emergency! are next

Looking forward to seeing those opening credits with the chopper nose diving over the ocean and that catchy them song by whom else Mike Post (?)
Old 06-01-04, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

magnum season 1 there are 18 episodes total trust me. but you are right the last season was 13 episodes.

season 1 = 18 (17 if you count the pilot as 1 episode)
season 2 = 22
season 3 = 23
season 4 = 21
season 5 = 22
season 6 = 21
season 7 = 22
season 8 = 13
Old 06-04-04, 10:59 AM
Jim
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Magnum, P.I. - The Complete First Season is now available for pre-order at Amazon. Price is $41.99, should be $37.79 with STL.
Old 06-17-04, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

UPDATE!

Here is an update from www.tvshowsondvd.com

In our release listing for Magnum, P.I. - The Complete 1st Season, we first passed on to our readers that there would be a "Bonus DVD with four additional episodes featuring Magnum's greatest guest stars and more". Yesterday morning Universal Studios Home Video released a new EPK that included this info about those extras:

"Fully Loaded With a Special Bonus Disc: 4 Additional Episodes Featuring Special Guest Stars Sharon Stone, Morgan Fairchild, and Fellow P.I.'s Simon & Simon"

Wow, cool! But for those of us who didn't remember back to the 80's, which episodes were these? Well, TVShowsOnDVD contacted Universal and got the rundown of these bonus episodes for you!

"Ki'I's Don't Lie" (Season 3)
Morgan Fairchild, Gerald McRaney ("Rick Simon"), and Jameson Parker ("A.J. Simon") all appeared in this episode from the third season of Magnum P.I. It was a two-part story that started on Magnum's second airdate of the new season, but the second part wasn't a Magnum episode! Rather, it was concluded in the Simon & Simon episode from the same week, since the crook had gotten away from the private investigators at the airport just before they showed up (we'll avoid the spoilers).

"Emerald's are Not a Girl's Best Friend" (Simon & Simon Season 2)
This episode was the second-season-opener for Simon & Simon: The chase continued in a highly-promoted crossover stunt that concluded the story begun in the Magnum P.I. episode "Ki'I's Don't Lie". Guest stars Tom Selleck, John Hillerman and Morgan Fairchild continued to appear alongside Simon & Simon stars Jameson Parker and Gerald McRaney.

For Magnum's syndication, the Simon & Simon-based second half wasn't available to be shown as part of the Magnum P.I. run, so there was an alternate ending shot for "Ki'I's Don't Lie," which has the bad person being caught at the airport just before they got away. Therefore, for most viewers this will be the first chance to see both episodes as orginally aired since October 1982! Bravo to Universal for doing this...it's sure to be popular with the fans.

"Echoes of the Mind" Parts 1 & 2 (Season 5)
Sharon Stone guest-stars in a 2-parter that opened the fifth season of Magnum P.I. on two consecutive weeks. This 1984 role is a good chance to see Stone early in her career, years before she hit it big in the '90s with parts in films like Total Recall and Basic Instinct.

And don't forget, all of that is ON TOP OF the 18 episodes of Magnum P.I. from its rookie season (17 if you count the double-length pilot as a single "episode"). This is going to be a mighty fine set, and we're looking forward to it when stores get it on Sept. 7th.

Cover Art:

Old 06-17-04, 07:02 PM

The cross-over episodes would have made sense on the season 3 set. (Not to mention a theoretical, Simon & Simon: Season 2 set.)

Likewise, the season 5 epsidoes should be in the season 5 set.

Call me incredibly cynical, but since Universal is dumping some season 3 & season 5 episdoes on the Season 1 set as "bonus materials," this does not bode well for them to finish off the full series.

fitprod
Old 06-17-04, 10:34 PM

Hmmm.... why would you add later season episodes as season 1 extras? Trying not to panic but sounds to me like all 8 seasons might not be released...
Old 06-17-04, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The front of the cover could be better, but it'll look pretty sweet sitting on my shelf.
Old 06-17-04, 11:20 PM
Banned

I loved the show when I was a kid, I would be getting it but the problem is that all the TV shows I want is keeping coming out and it's hurting my wallet!
Old 06-18-04, 04:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 325 Likes on 243 Posts
Originally posted by covenant
Personally I don't like the cover, looks like a video game.

That's EXACTLY what I said when I saw the box cover
Old 06-18-04, 04:31 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Dual Sided ?

I assume so. 22 episodes. 4 dvds.

Any confirmation?
Old 06-18-04, 05:20 PM
Jim
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'd guess 5 DVDs. The 4 extra episodes are on a bonus disc. To me it sounded like the original 18 episodes were on 4 DVDs plus 1 bonus disc for the extra 4 episodes.
Old 06-25-04, 04:35 PM
Jim
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Costco now has Magnum up on their website for $34.99. So it looks like there will be some good prices on this one.