Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Child's Play S.E. or widescreen sometime soon?

Old 05-04-04, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Considering "Seed of Chucky" is coming out this Halloween (is this MGM?) I was hoping that there may be some chance for a Child's Play S.E. I would settle for a just a new transfer on the dvd, even if its barebones, as long as its an anamorphic remastered widescreen presentation. Does anyone know any info on a future release around Halloween to coincide with the next chapter?
Old 05-04-04, 10:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Region 4 Australia is the only current version that I know of that is Anamorphic Widescreen, but is only Dolby Digital 2.0.
Region 3 Korea at koreandvds.com shows the picture to be anamorphic widescreen, but it does not list this on the dvd information.
Old 05-04-04, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Since 2.0 was the original audio. There is no problem with that

I hope a WS version is released someday. I want the Chuck on dvd properly!!
Old 05-05-04, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I havent purchased any of the films because the first one isnt an SE or at least WS. Until then, no purchase from me.
Old 05-05-04, 12:42 AM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I hope they release a decent version of the first one, its way overdue.
Old 05-05-04, 01:10 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Agreed.
Old 05-05-04, 01:15 AM

I'd also like to see a new, digitally remastered widescreen presentation of Child's Play. Special Features would be nice too. Chucky commentary would be great. MGM has been revisiting their older releases as of late, so there is a glimmer of hope.
Old 05-05-04, 07:29 AM
Suspended

=(

Teh world needs another Chucky movie as much as it needs a 'Baby Geniuses' sequel. But we have both now. Oh well.
Old 05-05-04, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
Re: =(

Originally posted by Forum Troll
Teh world needs another Chucky movie as much as it needs a 'Baby Geniuses' sequel. But we have both now. Oh well.
Thanks
I for one though could go for a nice boxset of all the movies (remastered, SE's, etc.) once Seed of CHucky is released to DVD.
Old 05-05-04, 11:31 AM

If I remember correctly MGM claimed they couldn't locate a widescreen print for the original, so the P&S release is the best they could do.

I think it's a load of crap, but I got it anyway just to complete the set.

-Jason
Old 05-05-04, 01:37 PM
Banned

If I remember correctly mgm said that the widescreen print was burnt up in some film storage house. Not sure if they have found another copy of it since.
Old 05-05-04, 02:00 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by puddytay
If I remember correctly mgm said that the widescreen print was burnt up in some film storage house. Not sure if they have found another copy of it since.
that's pretty bad for MGM. If that's the case, guess I'll never get this on DVD
Old 05-05-04, 02:15 PM

If indeed the only widescreen print was detroyed in a fire, then Ill go ahead and buy the current disc to complete the series. It's better than no Child's Play at all. Sometimes you have to make sacrifices, this is one of those times. If MGM ever finds a widescreen print and releases it, Ill be glad to double dip. But not buying it because there isnt a widescreen available, is it worth it? You might as well get the current disc because there isnt a widescreen print out there as far as MGM knows, like I said. It's better than just have 2-4 without the original.
Old 05-05-04, 04:53 PM

I am gonna call BS on that whole child's play "urban legend". Let's say is was burned in a fire. That still would not prevent an anamorphic print from another region who's prints have already been released. Look at TGTBATU and the upcoming Robocop for example. They were first released in R2 first and now they are coming here in identical or near identical prints. I'm sure it is not that big of a deal to get a print from a sister company in another region.
Old 05-05-04, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't agree with any of Ignorant's logic, yet I agree with his conclusion, that it sounds like an urban legend. Primarily because it seems really, really, really unlikely that this would be the only movie affected by such a fire. Unless somebody specifically targetted "Child's Play". (In which case, they'd probably burn one of the later ones first.)

That said, I don't see how it could have been released anamorphic in other countries if the print was destroyed, but I'm probably just misunderstanding something which was said.
Old 05-05-04, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I have actually been hearing rumblings about a 3 pack of the first 3 movies in a box set for halloween, supposedly the discs will have uncut versions of the movies, commentaries, and trailers.
Old 05-05-04, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
I have actually been hearing rumblings about a 3 pack of the first 3 movies in a box set for halloween, supposedly the discs will have uncut versions of the movies, commentaries, and trailers.
That'd be nice, but I don't think it'll happen, as the first is MGM and the others are Universal. If it did, why wouldn't they put in Bride of Chucky as well?
Old 05-05-04, 11:54 PM

Originally posted by critterdvd
Impossible.

As Will says, they are owned by a different studio.

I dont believe anything was cut from the first movie. If so, I have never heard of anything before.

I would buy a special edition of the first movie with a good transfer.

The fire stuff makes no sense. MGM owns the first movie in every single region. I couldnt imagine it would be too difficult to obtain a print even if one did burn up.

Last edited by ClownFace666; 05-06-04 at 12:05 AM.