How important are DVD Extras to you?

Community
Search

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-04, 01:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Most everyone here is a DVD collector. Some newcomers, some veterans. But when I asked myself this question the other day, after a year or so of casual collecting, I seemed to have changed my views on the subject.

It used to be that the special features were the focal point of the DVD purchase. That doesn't mean I didn't want the movie, obviously I wouldn't pick it up if I didn't, but if there were two versions released -- I'd go for the special edition. I still do that, today. But I find that now I rarely have time for the special features with the amount of discs that I acquire each month, not to mention the 4-6 Netflix rentals per week. So the question is, How important are DVD Extras since you've started collecting? Include how long you've been collecting, as well.

Personally, as stated above, I just don't have as much time as I used to. Not to mention finding a reason to sit down and watch two "Appendecies" discs (per EE) filled with hours and hours of extras seems a bit tough for me (who actually watched all that?). Lately I've realized that if you give me a perfect transfer, great audio and maybe (if I'm lucky) as a bonus: a commentary, I'll be more than overjoyed.
Old 05-05-04, 01:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Important, it makes that DVD a DVD. Without it, it is just a movie.
Old 05-05-04, 01:48 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
While i haven't spent as much time watching extras as before, i know that i will eventually, so i'll opt for a better release, like with Master and Commander. If its a movie i love, i generally don't mind buying the DVD even if it is slim in the extras department.
Old 05-05-04, 02:03 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

to me they are just that "extras"....if they are there that's great, but if they aren't then I dont really worry
Old 05-05-04, 02:14 AM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Trailers and deleted scenes are the important extra's for me. Most of the extra's I don't watch; as a lot of them are just people talking and brown nosing co-stars and the director (boring).
Old 05-05-04, 02:17 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
They are extra. I seldomly watch them so I'm concerned about the movie first.
Old 05-05-04, 04:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
The most important extras to me are director/star commentaries, deleted scenes, interviews, the original trailers and behind the scenes material...I could care less about photo galleries or text biographies/filmographies or DVD-ROM material.

But yes, extras are EXTREMELY important...otherwise, I would just wait for the cable premiere on one of my HDTV channels.
Old 05-05-04, 05:39 AM

The technical features are the most important thing (after the film itself.) 5.1 sound and anamorphic video are a huge selling point for me. I enjoy deleated scenes and commentaries, but a lot of the other features go unwatched. A good making of documentary is alwasy appreciated.
Old 05-05-04, 06:19 AM

Movie quality is paramount - extras are nice, and I would rather have a 2-discer than a barebones disc, but give me quality presentation over all else.
Old 05-05-04, 07:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Nearly 4 years into gathering DVDs, and I still find the extras important - especially commentary tracks. That does not mean, however, that I would buy a DVD because it has a comentary track or lots of bonus materials - even if it were a 3-disc set for $1.99, I'd pass on things like Pluto Nash or From Hustin To Kelly.
Old 05-05-04, 07:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Extra's are nice and I watch whenever I have some time.
Old 05-05-04, 07:51 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Definitely movie first for me. I really enjoy the extras but I just flat don't have time to watch them all, so they aren't a huge factor in my decisions. It's also the reason that I will rarely double-dip (although, the upcoming Lost Boys and Exorcist III rumors will be exceptions to the rule).
Old 05-05-04, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,025 Posts
Not important at all.

I want good quality, good sound, (and maybe some outtakes.) Nothing else is really very important.
Old 05-05-04, 09:19 AM

When I started buying DVDs, I would only buy if it included a commentary. But I've learned that most commentaries are fairly tedious and a waste of time, so it's no big deal to me any more if the disc has one or not. Generally, I'll have a look at the extras after the first time I watch the feature, but I'll rarely go back to the extras again, even if I watch the feature several times over. And now, it's rare that I'll listen to a commentary at all.
Old 05-05-04, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Not important at all. The only "extra" I really want is the trailer for the film on the disc (not forced ones for other movies). I may watch deleted scenes\outtakes if available, depending on how much I liked the movie. I never watch making-of's since IMO they take away from the magic of the movie and are usually just self-promoting fluff pieces anyway. If every disc was movie only with static menus, OAR and digital sound, I wouldn't be crying.
Old 05-05-04, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Not very important.

Every once in a while, I'll buy a DVD (at least partly) for the extras (HST Commentary on Fear and Loathing, anything with Joe Bob Briggs on it) but usually, I never even get around to the extras. When I was just starting out, they were a bigger deal (if I was thinking of two, I'd choose the one with better extras) but I have so many unwatched extras nowadays they just don't really matter anymore.
Old 05-05-04, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts
extras are great, and I like having movies that have solid extras. wish I had more time to watch all of them though (the extras).
Old 05-05-04, 10:15 AM

All dvds should be superbit?
Old 05-05-04, 10:21 AM
ruk
DVD Talk Special Edition

i like the deleted scenes, but i just prefer to buy a dvd that's loaded rather than being bare
Old 05-05-04, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Extras are important to me.

I wont get ANY movie that is bare-bones, because well, I know they are going to make a special edition 1-2 years down the road..and it usually the cost (if got on sale), is not that great different.
Old 05-05-04, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Depends on the movie.

For Happy Gilmore, do I really need extras? No. Commentary on what? who cares. Tommy Boy/movies that fall into this category, I dont care about extras.

On the other Hand!!!

Movies like a Bugs Life or Pirates of the Caribean I think are very important to include extras. Theres a lot that went into the making of that movie.

Monster is the same way. I want some behind the scenes stuff, talk to charleze (sp) about getting into character, etc.

So I think it depends on the movie if I care about extras.

Kill Bill v1 I did not buy so I can wait for the bonus material.
Old 05-05-04, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 854 Posts
Extras are very important to me. Bare bones = No Sale. I do have a few bare bones (Shawshank Redemption pops to mind) because the SEs have been long delayed, but they will quickly be replaced when the SE arrives.

Now that I have stated that extras are crucial, let me say that I rarely sit down and watch them. I pop the documentaries and commentries in while working around the house (laundary, dishes, etc.) and more so now that I am working out of the house. This is one of the reasons that one of my major pet peeves is 3-5 minute segments with no "play all" option. If it is a "feature" documentary (i.e., longer than 30 minutes) I will treat it as such and sit to watch it.

Trailers I ususally watch before the movie (though I still hate forced ones); deleted scenes right after.

I actually like having actor bios -- many times I will recognize an actor but won't be able to place them. It also gives me other film suggestions.

Oh yeah, been collecting for . . . wow, 5 years. Didn't realize it had been that long!

Old 05-05-04, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
I personally prefer DVDs with a lot of extras and I'm willing to pay extra for the movies that I like.

However, I also realize that for some unforeseen reason, extras may not be available therefore I have known to purchase movies that are in their OAR just to have it in my collection.
Old 05-05-04, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 113 Likes on 81 Posts
I look forward to hearing a commentary on older films that I've really enjoyed over the years. I realize that many times there just isn't the extra material out there for old films but a commentary with the surviving director/writer/actors is always a treat and gives me the chance to learn more about my favorite movies. With new films, there's a likelihood it will be revisited down the road in a special anniversay collectors edition or whatever, but with a movie thats over 30 years old and not something of stature like Casablanca, I doubt there will be another opportunity to record the participants' thoughts. I'm glad to have a print that looks and sounds great and the lack of extras hasn't prevented me from buying a disc if its a favorite movie of mine, but hearing from the actual people who were involved with the movie so many years ago is a huge kick.
Old 05-05-04, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I dig the extas (most of them, fluff pieces won't get my time). Especially on well done DVD's (Panic Room, Boogie Nights come to mind). Fincher/PT Anderson releases will ALWAYS get my money because the extras are of the highest quality.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.