Community
Search

Replacement disc for DS9 set..

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-04, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Replacement disc for DS9 set..

I'm having trouble with one particular episode on my DS9 Season 5 set. At the beginning of the episode is freezes, has pixelization and then when I try to hit play again it goes 10 minutes ahead and continues, so I'm not seeing the entire episode. The actual disc looks fine with no smudges or scratches. I got the DVD set brand new from eBay from a reputable merchant and he states that a CD-cleaner would work. However, the disc looks to be superficially fine. Should I buy the cleaner and hope it fixes it or is there a way to get just the replacement disc from Paramount?

TIA
Old 04-30-04, 03:12 PM

The number to call is 1-888-895-1355. This is a number set up by Paramount for defective DS9 discs. A lot of people had trouble playing the episode "Let He Who Is Without Sin" (season 5, disc 2). I called the number and the Fed Exed a replacement at no charge.
Old 04-30-04, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Upper pylon,

Thanks! I called the number and they said they will send me out a replacement disc. Thanks so much for the help!

Last edited by NaturalMystic79; 04-30-04 at 03:34 PM.
Old 04-30-04, 07:22 PM
Banned

Thanks, I had a defective episode too. I don't think it's the one you state above, but on the one that I had a problem with, the pic/sound just freezes. I hit the FF button and it moves forward fine. However it does this about 3 times through-out the episode.

I need to go back through and see which one it was.

I remember the story line. It's the one where Sisko and Dukat were in a cave setting where Sisko was Dukat's prisoner and Dukat was manipulating a beacon device to where it wouldn't send out the beacon signal.

EDIT: Ahh, found it. It's the 6th Season episode, "Waltz". Disc 3.

Last edited by Mike Lowrey; 04-30-04 at 07:47 PM.
Old 04-30-04, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Mike Lowrey

I remember the story line. It's the one where Sisko and Dukat were in a cave setting where Sisko was Dukat's prisoner and Dukat was manipulating a beacon device to where it wouldn't send out the beacon signal.
That episode is "Waltz" from Season 6. An excellent episode, I might add.
Old 04-30-04, 07:51 PM
Banned

Originally posted by NaturalMystic79
That episode is "Waltz" from Season 6. An excellent episode, I might add.
Yep, found it by going through the Startrek.com episode guide.

Yeah, it freezes right after the end of the opening credits, once again at another chapter break, and then somewhere else I can't remember.

So if I call that number, I can get a replacement disc, no questions asked type of thing?
Old 04-30-04, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Mike Lowrey

So if I call that number, I can get a replacement disc, no questions asked type of thing?
All they ask for is your name, address, zip code, and phone number. The said it would take 2-3 weeks for delivery. As simple as that, took me a whole 2 minutes to do.
Old 05-01-04, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Upper pylon 3
The number to call is 1-888-895-1355. This is a number set up by Paramount for defective DS9 discs. A lot of people had trouble playing the episode "Let He Who Is Without Sin" (season 5, disc 2). I called the number and the Fed Exed a replacement at no charge.
I also had trouble with this episode, number 505. Got the replacement via DHL express in just a few days. Kudos to Paramount.

By contrast, when I called Warner Brothers about a scratched Babylon 5 disc they just transferred me to a canned reply that said to return it to the store. In my case it means that Columbia House is going to eat the loss (they just replaced the set, didn't have me ship it back) and I would rather that WB take the hit for their defective packaging.
Old 05-01-04, 02:23 PM

How long do you think they'll be running that number? I'm only half way through season 3 and probably won't have the cash to get season 4 for a while. I should probably just pop it in or call for a replacement.

That's bad news about WB lizard. Just last night I found out my True Romance won't play at all after chapter 16. Another one for the junk heap.
Old 05-02-04, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by thawtz
How long do you think they'll be running that number? I'm only half way through season 3 and probably won't have the cash to get season 4 for a while. I should probably just pop it in or call for a replacement...
I can't see Paramount pulling the DS-9 replacement number anytime soon. There are still many people buying the sets with defective DVDs in them. Seems cheaper to replace one bad DVD than to have whole sets come back to stores. I really appreciate Paramount owning up to the problem and taking care of the customers.
Old 05-03-04, 01:18 AM

Any idea if it's the same number for defective Next Generation discs?
Old 05-03-04, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by TheHistorian
Any idea if it's the same number for defective Next Generation discs?
I don't think so, they were quite specific in saying DS-9 when giving me the number. You can call:

Paramount Home Video DVD Consumer Hotline
323-956-8070

from this thread.

When I did, they gave me an 800 number to call (didn't keep it). That person then referred me to the DS-9 number. I would guess that they have a TNG number also.
Old 05-04-04, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

WOW! My replacement disc for Season 5 came in a matter of days. Thank you so much Upper Pylon 3.
Old 05-04-04, 06:27 PM

Thanks for the info.