Search this Thread

Old 04-29-04, 06:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fistful of Dynamite anywhere?

where is it...even an international release...squints into sun
Old 04-29-04, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

MGM released it in France. There's an Italian version but it has neither English audio or English subtitles; the French version has both. Don't know if it's the restored version though.
Old 04-29-04, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just recently picked up the MGM UK release, and it looks pretty great. Sounds is Mono, but considering MGM's Leone releases in the US that's not too suprising. I'm not sure if it's completely uncut or not, but it runs 147 minutes I think and that's PAL. It has all the f-bombs intact that I know were cut from some versions.
Old 04-29-04, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Dan Average
MGM released it in France. There's an Italian version but it has neither English audio or English subtitles; the French version has both. Don't know if it's the restored version though.
HERE is the one you need.

but I think the pal2 dvd is anamorphic.

Last edited by gutwrencher; 04-29-04 at 08:42 PM.
Old 04-29-04, 08:41 PM

A question will this play in region 1 players, I sure hope so this movie is one of my favorites as well?
Old 04-29-04, 08:42 PM

Originally posted by ICE-9
A question will this play in region 1 players, I sure hope so this movie is one of my favorites as well?
the Korean release will...yes.

Last edited by gutwrencher; 04-29-04 at 08:48 PM.
Old 04-29-04, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by gutwrencher
the Korean release will...yes.

Are you sure?

This is a Region 3 NTSC DVD. Before ordering please make sure your DVD player supports this format. We cannot accept a return due to player incompatibility. Please read this page if you have any DVD player playback questions.
Old 04-29-04, 08:57 PM

forgive me...I must have lost my mind for a moment.

I was thinking of something else in another forum while trying to respond to this one here. big mistake...and thanks for that slapping.
Old 04-29-04, 09:00 PM

...and I didnt have this film in my library at all...until the thread. thanks...just ordered the Korean release.

btw...xploited.com will give you great service and fast shipping. check out the other western titles as well.
Old 04-29-04, 09:18 PM

So its a thumbs up on the korean region 3 stuff to play on my trusty region 1 player?
Old 04-29-04, 09:21 PM

So its a thumbs up on the korean region 3 stuff to play on my trusty region 1 player?
no...I was mistaken. unless you hack it, I guess.

go buy a cheap Cyberhome player at radioshack.
Old 04-29-04, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

...and I didnt have this film in my library at all...until the thread. thanks...just ordered the Korean release.

btw...xploited.com will give you great service and fast shipping. check out the other western titles as well.
I've never ordered from them, but they have a few other Spaghetti Westerns I wouldn't mind picking up.
Old 04-30-04, 01:04 AM

I have the Korean disc and can confirm that it is coded for region 3 only. Some discs are sometimes marked for a certain region but are actually all-region, but Fistful of Dynamite is definitely R3 only.
Old 04-30-04, 09:02 AM

Received 107 Likes on 89 Posts
Damn, I'd love to see this movie get a quality R1 release.
Old 04-30-04, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Two things:

There's an amazingly cool, fantastically rare Japanese version. I believe it was limited to 3000 copies. Furthermore, I don't think they're supposed to (legally) be sold to anybody outside of Japan, that was part of the stipulation of the American company that licensed it to them (or somesuch; I don't know all the details). I've seen pictures of the box, 'cause it pops up on E-bay every once in a while (starting price $100, buy it now $250), and it looks awesome. It's two discs, one of each cut, similar to several others mentioned, and it's R2 (but it shouldn't be PAL).

#2 - They just last year put out a restored version of this in theaters, briefly, subsequent to the 'Good, the Bad, and the Ugly' one, so I imagine the DVD will be along by the end of the year.
Old 04-30-04, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

A little off-topic here, but I second gut's recommendation of xploited. Great service with reasonable shipping. And if you're a Peckinpah fan, they have a beautiful R3 Korean MGM DVD of Bring Me The Head of Alfredo Garcia - Peckinpah's best, IMO - for only $19.99.
Old 05-03-04, 01:40 PM

you guys are great
Old 05-17-04, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

gotta order this. just wish it would make its way to american shores fast
Old 05-18-04, 11:06 AM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
With the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly coming out this week, I hope its sales are strong enough to show MGM that there's money to be made with Leone films.
Old 05-18-04, 02:34 PM

Supposedly they're working on a restored DUCK YOU SUCKER/FISTFUL OF DYNAMITE disc. However, it could take as long to arrive as ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST did...
Old 05-18-04, 04:01 PM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
If it looks as good as ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST, it'll be worth the wait.
Old 05-19-04, 08:51 AM

Agreed. But I wonder how many versions of the film it will include? There are at least three -- the short FISTFUL version, the longer DUCK YOU SUCKER and a DUCK YOU SUCER "director's cut" with still more footage. I'd LOVE to see a boxed set with all three versions, a la the upcoming DAWN OF THE DEAD SE. But that's probably just a pipe dream.

I hope at the minimum we get the full DUCK YOU SUCKER version and not the truncated FISTFUL edit.
Old 05-19-04, 10:12 AM

David Kirk (who headed the restoration of The Good, the Bad & the Ugly), introduced a showing in Houston recently, and confirmed that they were hard at work on it, and that it would be released on DVD (R1, that is) ASAP. The rest of the trilogy will be revisited as well, with stereo audio, etc.
Old 05-19-04, 02:32 PM
Suspended

Good news, if true. I'd imagine they're still waiting to see how GBU sells to see how much money to budget for the restoration of the other two films (as well as FoD).

Leone directed what? Seven films? It's a damn shame that they're not all represented well on DVD.

Well, three are, so far.
Old 05-19-04, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The restored 'Giu la Testa' played Film Forum either really late last year or really early this year ...

To put it in perspective, the restored 'Good, the Bad, and the Ugly' played Film Forum last year the first two weeks of June (I remember precisely, as it was my birthday).

But I wonder how many versions of the film it will include?
Two of the regions 2s (and the region 3, I believe) have two cuts, but they're not extensively different. It's a question of whether or not the 3-min flashback is restored to the longest 154 minute.

According to the IMDB, there are four versions.
120 minute - inital American release "Duck, You Sucker"
138 minute - UK Release/ American re-release, "Fistful of Dynamite" [some cuts were for rating, not just length]
154 minute - "restored" version*
157 minute - complete restored version, with 3 minute flashback

* = by my math, the IMDB also implies the existence of a 148 minute cut, restored prior to the 154 one, but I assume they were just being sloppy

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.