"Widescreen is for intellectuals"

Community
Search

"Widescreen is for intellectuals"

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-04, 05:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by digitalfreaknyc
Actually I'm allergic to cats, thanks. And stereotypically it's the lesbians that are into them. Dogs are for gays.

And watch the usage of the word, bub.
Sorry, I didnt mean to offend anyone, just poking fun at this thread. But if dogs are for gays, and dogs are a mans best friend. Does that mean all men are gay, and the women should be jealous?
Old 04-28-04, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 503 Likes on 255 Posts
I ain't no intellecshuall, and I'll tell ya why I hate them black bars. I was in one the other night, and the jukebox had nothin but rap music in it!
Old 04-28-04, 06:10 PM
Banned

Originally posted by PopcornTreeCt
I think its funny how everyone wants widescreen because it preserves the aspect ratio that was seen when it was run theatrically yet so many people don't even go to the theatres anymore.
I don't. I haven't been to the theater since Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers. I don't like a large range of genres, and so only a few movies come out per year that interest me, so now since DVDs usually come out within 4-6 months after theatrical release, I just wait for the DVD. What's another couple months to get a guaranteed anamorphic widescreen DD 5.1 copy of the movie, when I don't know the quality of the theater I'm going to go to. (My local theater doesn't have very good sound -- cheap bastards.)

Now as for those who still "mock" widescreen, just ask them what they're going to do when they're forced to buy a 16x9 widescreen TV in the next couple of years and their Fullscreen DVDs will have black/grey bars on the sides.
Old 04-28-04, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by GmoneyOwnsYou
But if dogs are for gays, and dogs are a mans best friend. Does that mean all men are gay
The fallacy of affirming the consequence.
Old 04-28-04, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Black bars are dumb. So are black high schools, black clubs, black movie theaters, and so on. Segregation in any way should be discouraged! I think whites should have just as much equal opportunity to go to bars as blacks!
Old 04-28-04, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
that man should be shot. any one who works in a video store and dosnt understand or perfer widescreen(OAR) should not be allowed to live
Old 04-28-04, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

What I say is this:

"Are you ever going to buy a widescreen tv?

Most of the time they say yes then I say:

"Well you know those black bars you complain about are soon going to be gray bars because those fullscreen dvds aren't future proof"

They say "Really?"

I say "Yes. Really."

They then say "Wow, you are smart I never thought of that"
Old 04-28-04, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Me007gold
that man should be shot. any one who works in a video store and dosnt understand or perfer widescreen(OAR) should not be allowed to live
See my signature...
Old 04-28-04, 10:30 PM
Banned

I watch movies the way I want(preferably widescreen), and don't care how other people watch them.

Same with religion/politics/other crap.
Old 04-28-04, 10:33 PM
Banned

Originally posted by GmoneyOwnsYou
Does that mean all men are gay, and the women should be jealous?
Welcome to my reality.
Old 04-28-04, 10:36 PM
Banned

Originally posted by jiggawhat
What I say is this:

"Are you ever going to buy a widescreen tv?

Most of the time they say yes then I say:

"Well you know those black bars you complain about are soon going to be gray bars because those fullscreen dvds aren't future proof"

They say "Really?"

I say "Yes. Really."

They then say "Wow, you are smart I never thought of that"
And then you say, "I am white but I call myself jiggawhat on a dvd message board."

And then they laugh at you.
Old 04-28-04, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Don't forget, though... Even if you get a 16x9 TV, you still should watch 4x3 material windowboxed.
Old 04-28-04, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by CUBuffsMike41
And then you say, "I am white but I call myself jiggawhat on a dvd message board."

And then they laugh at you.
It's too bad that I ain't white.
Old 04-29-04, 02:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by PatrickMcCart
Don't forget, though... Even if you get a 16x9 TV, you still should watch 4x3 material windowboxed.
Also even after buying a 16:9 TV you'll still have them "dumb black bars" on the top and bottom of certain OAR movies. What really amazes me is people who don't understand OAR and buy a widescreen TV thinking they'll never have to look at black bars again. Then they pop in their Matrix or Indiana Jones DVD and and say what the hell is this crap.
Old 04-29-04, 03:13 AM
Banned

I got mixed up in the widescreen crazy mad dash too. But I do not think widescreen movies are better per se. It depends on other things. Most pan and scan full screen movies have lower quality on purpose. Anyone ever see Animal House full screen? The studio purposfully made the reds bleed and the picture was not clear. It was still a DVD, so why not the high quality? Then they release it widescreen and it is much clearer and no bleeding of colors. Is it coincidence studios release the same movie multiple times?

I think the people who argue for widescreen per se are not intellectuals. They are just repeating some argument like a parrot. And they are paying for the re-releases of movies and buying new 16:9 TV's. And I bet the studios love them. Give it 10 years, and 4:3 will be back, and there will be a new generation of "intellectuals". LOL.

I have a friend who brings over wine from time to time. And every time he does it he brings over a photocopy of some "wine spectator" magazine which shows some subjective rating. But yet, if you put a wine in a decanter, he wouldn't know what to say. Sometimes, those are the kinds of people who advocate widescreen to the smarter folks who realize it's a parrot talking.

Edit: I just realized what I wrote above could sound harsh if read the wrong way. I guess what I am trying to say is personal preference is paramount when it comes to entertainment.

Last edited by JohnSeminal; 04-29-04 at 03:32 AM.
Old 04-29-04, 05:43 AM
JM1

If ever Fooscreen movies and their advocates get their way, remember the words of the great Basil Fawlty...

"This is just how Nazi Germany started!"
Old 04-29-04, 06:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 503 Likes on 255 Posts
Originally posted by JohnSeminal
Give it 10 years, and 4:3 will be back, and there will be a new generation of "intellectuals". LOL.
That's why I've held out buying a new car. I'm sure Ford will have a new Edsel convertable on the market any day now.
Old 04-29-04, 06:49 AM

Originally posted by JohnSeminal
Give it 10 years, and 4:3 will be back, and there will be a new generation of "intellectuals". LOL.
Along with 8 track and 78s I guess?
Old 04-29-04, 07:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by PixyJunket
These threads are like a circle jerk.
And what is wrong with a good old-fashioned circle jerk?
Old 04-29-04, 07:41 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by PopcornTreeCt
I think its funny how everyone wants widescreen because it preserves the aspect ratio that was seen when it was run theatrically yet so many people don't even go to the theatres anymore.
I still go to the theater, but not as much as I used to. I prefer to see the movie as the director intended, with no cell phones, babies, laserpointers, candy crinklers, bottle rollers, loud talkers, change throwers etc. I also prefer to spend the $20 that my fiancee and I would part with for 2 tickets on a DVD which we can watch as many times as we want for roughly the same price (99.99% of the time less).
Old 04-29-04, 07:45 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by Joshua Clinard
I haven't seen ANYONE here or at any other forum advocating cutting the top off of fullscreen programs to make it fit on their widescreen televisions.
Search for threads on Kung Fu and Alice in Wonderland, and there was even one with a Poll about this topic. They DO exist...
Old 04-29-04, 08:50 AM

People don't get pissed,,,at the people who don't like WS, sooner or later thats all is going to be available...just look at the TV trends give another 5 years there will be no Square TV to purchase new, all the new RPT are WS, Plasmas, DLPs and soon all the Tubes....

So the black bars will be on the side if these clowns still want FS that way Frank won't get a Head Ache with a WS tv and WS dvd...
Old 04-29-04, 09:05 AM

Location: on the warhead of a Topol-M ready for a long journey
Originally posted by Me007gold
Yep!
Old 04-29-04, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

This is sad.
Old 04-29-04, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Abob Teff
Nah, nah . . . I don't need to shower after these threads.
Speak for yourself.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.