Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

The Return of the Pink Panther

Old 04-13-04, 05:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just bought the Pink Panther collection box set, Why was "The Return of the Pink Panther", not included?? I would have prefered this movie to trail of the pink panther( made 2 years after p. sellers death)

Is there any plans to rerelease this with 16 X 9 transfer??

Thanks.
Jezza
Old 04-13-04, 06:01 AM

From what I understand, the rights to the film did not belong to the studio doing the box set. You may be able to purchase it separately, however. I know, it's a bummer.
Old 04-13-04, 06:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
It's sort of the Never Say Never Again of Pantherdom.
Old 04-13-04, 07:18 AM

As stated above, the studio that put out the recent Pink Panther set does not have the rights to The Return of the Pink Panther. A DVD of this film is available, in case you didn't know, from Artisan. This film is presented in non-anamorphic widescreen with a less than impressive transfer. Still, it can be picked up for $5.50 in the Wal-Mart bargain bin if interested. I stuck my copy of Return in a sleeve and stuck it in the new Pink Panther set. It would be nice if Return could some day get a new, clean anamorphic transfer, however.
Old 04-13-04, 07:34 AM

'Return' can also be found at several online retailers for under $6 post-paid.

The analogy to Never Say Never Again is not really valid, as this film was made by most of the same creative team that did the others, including director Blake Edwards.

MGM should have tried a little harder to make their set definitive.
Old 04-13-04, 09:41 AM
Banned

I have read that a definitive set is planned for release when The Mask Of The Pink Panther is released next year.
Old 04-13-04, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have read that a definitive set is planned for release when The Mask Of The Pink Panther is released next year.
There are rumors, yes, that a more definitive set is on the way, but many of the rumors say it still won't have 'Return'. Several more say it won't be until the new one -- "Birth", not "Mask" -- is released on DVD (and, supposedly, 'Birth' would be part of the new definitive set), but I tend to doubt that, myself.

But it does seem likely that 'Curse', 'Inspector Closeau', and 'Son' will be on it.
Old 04-13-04, 01:45 PM
Banned

Originally posted by ThatGuamGuy
There are rumors, yes, that a more definitive set is on the way, but many of the rumors say it still won't have 'Return'. Several more say it won't be until the new one -- "Birth", not "Mask" -- is released on DVD (and, supposedly, 'Birth' would be part of the new definitive set), but I tend to doubt that, myself.

But it does seem likely that 'Curse', 'Inspector Closeau', and 'Son' will be on it.
You are correct. It is only a rumor at this point. You are also correct about the title. I had read about it as Mask Of The Pink Panther at one point. It was changed to Birth Of The Pink Panther, and now, apparantly will be called just The Pink Panther according to IMDB. I certainly will be watching for more information on this.
Old 04-14-04, 04:15 AM

So how good is the Artisan version??
Old 04-14-04, 06:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by jezza01
I just watched it this last weekend and it was just about one of the worst transfers I've seen on my (less than a year old) widescreen HDTV. The audio is a decent sounding mono.
Old 04-14-04, 07:28 AM

FYI:

The Return of the Pink Panther is being aired on AMC next Monday 4/19. Yes it will be in 4:3 format, but considering the bad Artisan DVD out at the moment....check your tv schedule for times.

I will be putting this on TIVO to enjoy with my boxset till another DVD is released with a big improvement in picture, sound and any special features.
Old 04-14-04, 07:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by jezza01
It's worth $5.50.
Old 04-14-04, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Chew
I just watched it this last weekend and it was just about one of the worst transfers I've seen on my (less than a year old) widescreen HDTV. The audio is a decent sounding mono.
i, also, just watched it and i concur. it's worth the $6 so that you can see it.

the movie itself, i wasn't too thrilled about (although i read someone said it may be the best panther movie).
Old 04-14-04, 03:39 PM

although i read someone said it may be the best panther movie
Nah, that would be A Shot in the Dark, although the best thing about all these movies is Peter Sellers. You don't watch them for intriguing plot lines or special effects.
Old 04-14-04, 03:52 PM

worth six bucks just to see kato jump out of the fridge...and i agree with the dr. shot in the dark is the best
Old 04-14-04, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

the movie itself, i wasn't too thrilled about (although i read someone said it may be the best panther movie).
That may have been me, as it's my favorite of the series, but I always say that with the qualifier that the film has way, way, waaaaaay too much filler stuff with Chris Plummer. Luckily, I have it on DVD and can fast forward to the Sellers stuff.

My thing is, every moment that Clouseau is on screen in that film is comic gold, and among the best slapstick ever filmed. But the Chris Plummer stuff, while competently done and well acted and all, doesn't belong in a comedy. It's done as a light-hearted adventure with Plummer as the rogue hero, and it doesn't work.

I love 'Shot in the Dark', and I wish they'd brought Hercule back into the other ones, but I think 'Return' uses the elements (which is to say, Cato and Dreyfuss) best.

I had read about it as Mask Of The Pink Panther at one point. It was changed to Birth Of The Pink Panther, and now, apparantly will be called just The Pink Panther according to IMDB.
Well ... I guess that's better. I dunno, I thought 'Birth' was bad, but if it's not gonna *be* a remake of the original (which it isn't supposed to be), why confuse matters? if they don't acknowledge that it's related to an old franchise, won't modern audiences just wind up confused that it's not about the cartoon panther?
Old 04-15-04, 05:31 PM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
I've never seen this in my Walmart bargain bin, but DDD has it for $5.99 (free shipping).

Can't beat it with a stick:

http://www.deepdiscountdvd.com/dvd.cfm?itemid=LVD060741
Old 04-15-04, 05:53 PM

if they don't acknowledge that it's related to an old franchise, won't modern audiences just wind up confused that it's not about the cartoon panther?
Isn't this just the latest example of a movie that has no relation to its forebears and is instead just a generic movie with a well-known brand name?
Old 04-15-04, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

IMDB lists this movie's aspect ratio at 2.35:1 while the back of the case claims it's "matted" to 1.85:1 (which they claim is its original theatrical ratio). Which is correct, since it is my understanding that a movie shot in the 70's can't possibly be both (although, neither can one shot today, technically)? If it's just a fake "matted" where they pan and scanned the widescreen image to fit a 1.85:1 frame, then I'll probably just return my copy (which is still unopened). Anyone have any idea what the ratio is supposed to be and how the DVD presents it?

K

Last edited by Cornelius1047; 04-15-04 at 06:48 PM.
Old 04-15-04, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 244 Likes on 198 Posts
the dvd is 2.35 not 1.85.
it is a misprint.
i just watched it.
bad looking dvd, just awful.
but the movie is classic.
well worth $6.
Old 04-16-04, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If it's just a fake "matted" where they pan and scanned the widescreen image to fit a 1.85:1 frame, then I'll probably just return my copy (which is still unopened).
It's not fake matted in any way; I've seen the pan-and-scan version (obviously; that's what played TV for years), and it looks horrible, just awful, it's one of the worst pan-and-scannings I've ever seen.

Isn't this just the latest example of a movie that has no relation to its forebears and is instead just a generic movie with a well-known brand name?
Well, yes and no ... I mean, no Peter Sellers, and Blake Edwards is only involved to the extent that he owns some of the rights to the original cartoon, but, fact is, Steve Martin is playing Inspector Closeau, and the story is being described as the prequel to the original 'Pink Panther'. I remember there was a rumor that Jackie Chan was gonna play Cato, and they shot back that not only was it not true, but that Cato wouldn't even be in this one, because it was a prequel. Now, we could debate the question of "Why couldn't Cato be in it if it's a prequel? It's not like he's hired in 'Shot in the Dark'," and then say, "Well, why bother having Cato if he's not gonna attack Closeau all the time?", but the point would still remain, it's supposed to be a prequel.

Whether it will remain one or not is questionable; 'Soul Plane' is no longer a remake of 'Airplane!', but they still paid money for the rights to remake 'Airplane!'