Community
Search

Is Sanford & Son - Season 4 - worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-04, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is Sanford & Son - Season 4 - worth it?

The first three seasons were funny. However, after watching some of the episodes on TV Land, it's clear they started to lose their humor. How is Season 4? Is this when the 'downfall' started?
Old 04-12-04, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Actually, I think that Season 4 is better than Season 3. The first half of Season 3 is good, but the Grady episodes are terrible, IMO and while Season 4 definitely was the first major sign that the show had begun to lost its flair, I think it had some excellent episodes. I'll pick it up eventually and probably even Seasons 5 and 6 when they're released. Gotta collect 'em all, right?
Old 04-12-04, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Season 4 is when they brought in new producer/writers, probably at Redd Foxx's insistence. Turtletaub & Orenstein (watch for his cameo as the hapless comedian whose legs are threatened to be broken by the nightclub owner) did bring in some nice moments to the show, although these latter seasons didn't have the same charm. Some were really funny, some OK, and some not-so-great. After Julio was phased out (maybe the antics with Chico grew old) and Ah-Chew brought it, it just wasn't the same. And Fred's viciousness towards Ester wasn't as much.

I thought some of the weaker stuff included the Redd Foxx lookalike contest, in which Fred wins, but the payoff at the end was awful. So was the episode where Fred sues the creators of "Steinberg and Son." These "inside joke' episodes were bland. It also had too many minor subplots that were never really developed (i.e., Ester adopting a son, Lamont trying to get married, etc.).

Getting all the seasons (and there are just two more besides four) might be best suited if you're a longtime fan, like me. But also remember, you're getting the uncut episodes. They're about 3 minutes longer than what you see in syndication.
Old 04-13-04, 12:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts
S4 is worth it, just for the season opener.
That episode is a classic!
Old 04-13-04, 01:28 PM

C'mon! Where's the love for Grady! Those season three episodes were great! Some of my favorites. Mayo was no Redd Foxx, but held his own without trying to mimic Foxx!
Old 04-13-04, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Eplicon
But also remember, you're getting the uncut episodes. They're about 3 minutes longer than what you see in syndication.
I'm still very surprised whenever the characters drop the N-word... don't remember ever hearing that on TBS!
Old 04-13-04, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

How many *good* episodes are on Season 4?
Old 04-13-04, 07:50 PM
Banned

Questions, questions:

Is Season 4 the season with that episode where Lamont goes to court for a speeding ticket and Fred's his attorney?

Also, does it have the Grady episode where he pulls a gun on Lamont who tries to break into his own house because he's locked out?

What season were Julio and his goat introduced in?

Did Richard Pryor help write any shows in Season 4 or after?

Thanks in advance.

This show rules!
Old 04-13-04, 08:33 PM
Mok
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Rivero
[B]Questions, questions:

Is Season 4 the season with that episode where Lamont goes to court for a speeding ticket and Fred's his attorney?

That was season 3 and the N word is dropped.

Also, does it have the Grady episode where he pulls a gun on Lamont who tries to break into his own house because he's locked out?

Also season 3

What season were Julio and his goat introduced in?

Julio and Chico were introduced in season
Old 04-14-04, 02:22 PM

Which episode was the one where Fred had some salad (or something) with pot in it and the two buddy cops come by and they (unknowingly) get high on whatever it was that Fred was having around the house?
Old 04-14-04, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally posted by mythmaker18
Which episode was the one where Fred had some salad (or something) with pot in it and the two buddy cops come by and they (unknowingly) get high on whatever it was that Fred was having around the house?
Episode 73 - Fred's Treasure Garden

With Fred in St. Louis, Grady has been put in charge of taking care of his garden. Grady quickly notices a strange plant growing and assumes that it's wild parsley. However, Rollo is convinced it's marijuana and Lamont decides to turn it into the police. However, when Smitty and Hoppy arrive, the plants are gone but Grady has made dinner for everyone, a nice big salad for everyone.

Last edited by clappj; 04-14-04 at 02:37 PM.
Old 04-14-04, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
My favorite episodes from season four are "The Stand-In," (Fred wants to show his undying gratitude to an old friend for introducing him to his wife Elizabeth), "The Stung," (Fred's card playing friend cons Lamont and his friends out of their money) "Julio and Sister and Nephew," (Fred deals with Julio's nephew) and "Home Sweet Home" (Fred botches a lucrative offer from a Japanese development company).

I miss reading the Spanish subtitles that were included on seasons one & two. "¡Eres un gran tonto!" as Fred would tell Lamont.

As for the "n" word, I guess it was OK to use since it was used in context among the show's characters, and that it was the variation of the word that ended in "a" rather than "er."