Community
Search

Any history of problems with ER set?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-04, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Any history of problems with ER set?

Slowly moving through ER season one and the last episode on the second disc entitled Feb 5, '95, freezes/pixelates at the very end of the episode. Is there a history of problems or did I just get lucky AGAIN? Quality control on these box sets, if it even exists, is really shit.

Last edited by Easy; 04-03-04 at 03:11 PM.
Old 04-03-04, 03:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had "freeze-up" problems with Chapters 2 and 3 of another episode on that very same disc side that "Easy" mentions above. My disc won't play about 7 minutes near the beginning of "Long Day's Journey".

Wonder if it's just that 2nd disc being affected.

Anyone else had trouble with it?

Darn good episodes on this ER set too. I hate to miss even a couple minutes due to mechanical difficulties.
Old 04-03-04, 09:17 PM

No problems here.
Old 04-03-04, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

All my E.R. discs played fine too.
Old 04-03-04, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

All episodes played fine for me as well, including all commentaries and extras, and that is rare considering my older DVD player skips on the slightest flaw or speck of dust or scratch.
Old 04-03-04, 10:57 PM

Yes, we had one of the discs pixelate and ultimately freeze on us. I can't recall which one it was but I emailed WB and they took care of things. Sorry I don't have their address handy but rest easy, they'll make it right.
Old 04-04-04, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Damage
Yes, we had one of the discs pixelate and ultimately freeze on us. I can't recall which one it was but I emailed WB and they took care of things. Sorry I don't have their address handy but rest easy, they'll make it right.
Good to know. Thanks all for your replies.
Old 04-06-04, 02:18 AM
Cool New Member

Glad to see this thread -- My ER set froze/pixelated, wouldn't play the first five minutes of "Long Day's Journey" -- so now I know the problem wasn't isolated.

Even though it's only five minutes out of 25 hours, it bothered me to no end (I'm neurotic that way). Luckily, my local Best Buy let me swap Disc Two for another, and the new one plays fine.

The only other time this has happened to me was with the Battlestar Galactica box-set, which makes me wonder if there's something dodgy about double-sided discs -- besides the fact that they're difficult to handle, and prone to dust and dirt in that packaging.

Before the DVDs, I'd never seen an episode of ER (yeah yeah, I know). I bought it on a recommendation, and was hooked after the first few episodes. I wish they'd speed up release of the subsequent seasons: #2 on 4/27, and #3 before the end of the year. What, like seven more to go after that? From what I've heard, the series loses steam around Season 4, but I can't wait.

Just wish they'd lose those double-sided discs.
Old 04-06-04, 03:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

No problems with my DVDs, that I know of. However, I've only really gone through the first two discs thouroughly and have not yet watched any of the episodes on the latter discs. I'll have to sample some of the last two discs tomorrow.
Old 04-06-04, 07:43 AM

I didn't have any problems with my set.
Old 04-07-04, 01:38 AM

I've actually gotten two defective "E.R." sets in a row. In both cases, it was indeed disc 2 that was problematic ... but the pixelation/freezing occurred at different locations on the two discs.

I'm still awaiting my second replacement set. (I wish it were easier to get a single disc swapped instead of having to watch the whole set over and over.) Maybe the third time will be the charm.
Old 04-07-04, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I never had a problem with my ER set and I've watched all my discs and most extras. Looks like I was lucky.
Old 04-08-04, 01:52 PM
Emeritus Reviewer

I had a slight skip on the episode where Bradley Whitford guest stars, and though it really annoyed me, since it was an inessential moment, I ended up sticking with it rather than risk getting another set and potentially having another problem on one of the episodes I'd already watched.