Community
Search

How far away is HD-DVD?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-04, 05:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by hoyalawya
Not only does HD significantly improve the image quality over DVD, sound quality will most likely improve. I would take dolby digital on HBO-HD or D-VHS over the best DTS track on DVD any day. Higher bitrate provides much fuller sound.
That may be. Feinschmecker might upgrade to HD-DVD, but I donīt think itīs enough for the average user to upgrade... the price factor taken into account. The DVD media is relatively cheap and 2003 has shown the best sales statistic all around the globe. Donīt just think US. Strategically, it wouldnīt be wise to heavily launch HD-DVD before the DVD sales begins to even out. This is common knowledge in marketing.

Do not underestimate the power of firewire. The FCC mandates that cable providers must have an active firewire out from their HD boxes by April 1st. Firewire connection will deliver HD quality image and sound to a recording devices including D-VHS decks.
Sure, but this will only serve as an alternative. Not a substitute. Again, the average person still prefere to buy a given film title physically, which are much nicer packaged and have it sit on ones shelf.

The CD media, on the other hand, has had a dramatically blow in sales. This might also happen the film industry when broadband becomes fast enough, meaning it wonīt take longer than 10 minutes to download a whole movie in a quality equal to a DVD
Old 03-18-04, 10:25 AM
Cool New Member

Originally posted by chipmac
Not that I'm looking forward to them but let's not forget that players with WM9 support will be released within the year. So if studios decide to add WM9 to current DVD titles we could see HD on DVDs real soon.
KiSS Technologies just announced a player for the European market to be released in May. It uses Sigma Designs chipset, so I'm assuming it will output 720p/1080i. Looks like Apex will have one on the American market soon also.

From what I've been reading, WM9 is the front-runner for the HD-DVD standard, so the few titles available now in WMV-HD may be a pretty accurate representation of what HD-DVD is going to look like.

You can download a few clips or order titles from www.wmvhd.com

I for one plan to upgrade as soon as HD-DVD players break the sub-$500 mark. I'm betting 2006 or 2007. I can't say how many DVD titles I'll replace, but probably some.

Last edited by Brad Hood; 03-18-04 at 10:33 AM.
Old 03-18-04, 10:33 AM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts
Those WM9 players don't handle any of the commerically available WM9 DVDs like Coral Reef. The DRM issues haven't been ironed out yet, so unless you make your own WM9 DVDs, it's useless.

Long thread on AVSForum about this.

I don't think we'll ever see red laser WM9 HD players with DRM support, because it's been included in the HD-DVD spec. There's no need for it now.
Old 03-18-04, 11:40 AM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
DVD is not even seven full years old yet and we're already looking for another format. Given that HD-DVD's definition is only "high" by some standards (it's still lower-res than some computer screens) I have little doubt we'll be talking about SUPER-HI-DEF about five years after HD-DVD hits its stride.

And price has never been a factor in a technology's success. Nor has quality. Betamax was both cheaper and of superiour quality to VHS, but VHS won out because it was supported by more manufacturers, and had better pre-recorded "software" at first.

Man, I remember when Erol's Video used to carry both Beta and VHS...
Old 03-18-04, 02:40 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts
We won't be talking about "super-hi def" anytime near HD-DVDs release, simply because HD-DVD has so much headroom.

HD-DVD will support up to 1080p, and it's a long time off before it becomes the defacto standard. 1080i/720p will be the norm for quite a while.
Old 03-18-04, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Admiral7
I watched "Training Day" as my first movie on HD-HBO. When it was over, I popped in my DVD to do a comparison. I was sooooo unbelievably disappointed with my previously high praised demo DVD that I have not viewed "Training Day" on DVD since then.

HD-DVD will be huge, and all the people in these very forums who swear they will not bother replacing any movies in their collection with HD-DVD will change their minds once they've seen it.
Agreed, HD-DVD will be awesome. Have compared HD and DVD, HD wins hands down.

I will buy all new movies on HD win it comes out, I am not sure if I will spend the money to replace all my old DVDs. The ones I would really like to replace are my Star Trek OS DVDs.