Question: about Ghostbusters

Community
Search

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-04, 06:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone know if there going to be a re-released of Ghostbusters 1 and 2 DVD ? because both films need to be remastered the picture and sound and in Ghostbusters they are more deleted scenes that are not include in the current dvd, in Ghostbusters 2 dvd they should have deleted scene, audio commentary, and behind the scenes documentary.
Old 03-15-04, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I haven't heard anything about rereleases.

As an aside, you might want to clean up your grammar, or folks around here will start calling you Danol...which is an honor, really.
Old 03-15-04, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
I think you are completely off base on the picture and sound. They are very nice looking indeed. I could hardly believe I was watching the same movie I had seen so many times before.

I have heard nothing about the deleted scenes you are talking about. Can you provide some confirmation of this?
Old 03-15-04, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Irrelevant sidenote: I really liked the MST3K-style silhouettes on the commentary on Ghostbusters.
Old 03-15-04, 06:32 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Picture and audio on Ghostbusters is fine...Ghostbusters 2 on the other hand is

In reguard to deleted scenes, I'm not aware of any more deleted scenes than what are included.
Old 03-15-04, 06:51 PM

When people talk about how a disputed movie's picture quality is fine, I'd be very curious to know what they're watching the movie on. Could someone enlighten me? Pants? Josh?
Old 03-15-04, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm watching it on a television. Pants wasn't in the room with me, but I'll go with television for him too

Seriously, it's NOT disputed. Taking a look at DVDTalk's own review:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=96

Video is rated 4/5 and stated to be "the best Ghostbusters has ever looked".
Old 03-15-04, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The collectors edition of the original was so packed that I seriously doubt that a new one will come.

Since a lot of the same people worked on 2, I was quite surprised that there was no CE for it, but beggars can't be choosers.

I was, and am still, very imrpessed with the overall treatment of part one, even though it is not anamorphic.
Old 03-15-04, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by LasVegasMichael
The collectors edition of the original was so packed that I seriously doubt that a new one will come.

Since a lot of the same people worked on 2, I was quite surprised that there was no CE for it, but beggars can't be choosers.

I was, and am still, very imrpessed with the overall treatment of part one, even though it is not anamorphic.
Yes, it is anamorphic.

2.35:1 Anamorphic NTSC
Old 03-15-04, 07:06 PM

What KIND of television are you watching it on, Josh? Is it a widescreen HDTV display? And what size is it? If not, then picture quality is pretty much a moot point anyway, since a person watching an a standard 4x3 display can't really judge picture quality anyway.
Old 03-15-04, 07:15 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

For anyone intersted, the deleted scenes that weren't included are:

The complete Fort scene (a clip of it can be seen in at the end of the montage sequence)

A sequence where a cop gives the ghostbusters a ticket due to the Ecto 1 being illegally parked. The ticket burns up as the cop is writing it (this scene hints that the Ecto 1 had paranormal capabilties)

A scene where Egon is investigating at the hotel. He enters one of the rooms and finds a beautiful woman inside (I'm not sure if this was ever shot)

A second scene with the bums

A scene where Vinz Clortho is confronted by some muggers on the way to meeting Zuul (this scene was shot but the special effects were never completed)

The scene where the ghostbusters are thrown out of the university has even more stuff in it than the deleted scene on the DVD shows.

A scene where the ghostbusters are interviewed by the press after catching slimer at the hotel.

An alternate version of the Ghostbusters theme song (you can actually hear part of it in the movie. It's the song that's played when the ghostbusters are on the bridge, minus lyrics.). The ghostbusters sing it when they're getting interviewed, which leads into the montage.

The Criterion LD from a few years ago contains some of the deleted scenes mentioned above, as well as some more that I'm probably forgetting.

That said, I think that the current DVD is fine. It'd be neat if they updated it with some more features (such as the above deleated scenes) and maybe a commentary track with either Dan Aykroyd or Bill Murray. I agree that the current DVD looks fantastic.

Ghostbusters II could use an SE, but as far as picture and sound go, the current release is fine. This year is the first film's 20th anniversary and the second film's 15th anniversary, so if Columbia is working on an SE of either movie, this year would be a good year to release them.
Old 03-15-04, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Admiral7
What KIND of television are you watching it on, Josh? Is it a widescreen HDTV display? And what size is it? If not, then picture quality is pretty much a moot point anyway, since a person watching an a standard 4x3 display can't really judge picture quality anyway.
Anyone with eyes can judge picture quality Admiral. Just for argument's sake, the picture would look WORSE on a 4x3 display.
Old 03-16-04, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Not that my opinion carries any more weight but GB1 looks fine on my 55" widescreen.
Old 03-16-04, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2019 TOTY Winner

Received 160 Likes on 122 Posts
thse discs are fine, besides do we really want Columbia to touch these films again??
Old 03-16-04, 09:18 AM

No Josh, it wouldn't look worse on a 4x3 display. While it certainly looks much better on a widescreen TV, a standard definition 4x3 monitor is much more forgiving of flaws. But nevermind. Obviously you're just immature and unable to answer a simple question or carry on a mature conversation. Case closed.
Old 03-16-04, 09:21 AM

Actually a well-produced DVD would look better on a widescreen TV, whereas a poorly produced one will find little or no forgiveness there. 4x3 displays aren't as revealing of little artifacting problems.
Old 03-16-04, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally posted by evitagen
As an aside, you might want to clean up your grammar, or folks around here will start calling you Danol...which is an honor, really.
What matter with persons grammer? Me understanding ok.
Old 03-16-04, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Although I think the current disc is fine, I was disappointed to find that they didn't include Ray Parker Jr.'s music video. I remember that being hilarious, featuring all four of the ghostbusters and some other cameos. Anyone know why it wasn't on the disc?
Old 03-16-04, 12:41 PM

No Josh, it wouldn't look worse on a 4x3 display. While it certainly looks much better on a widescreen TV, a standard definition 4x3 monitor is much more forgiving of flaws. But nevermind. Obviously you're just immature and unable to answer a simple question or carry on a mature conversation. Case closed.

Whoa...! Even my father out in the middle of NOWHERE (the midwest ) can tell when a transfer looks better on a TV - 4x3 or otherwise! It doesn't take a genius to see that the transfer is better than what was available before - especially considering the handling of the original filmstock for the previous ump-teem years.
It doesn't REALLY matter what people in this forum are viewing their DVDs on. The statement was made that the picture quailty was "very nice looking indeed". If you feel it was not, then state your opinion rather than opine about Josh's maturity and generally attempt to make yourself seem more knowledgeable.

That being said, I agree that the picture quality is a definite improvement on what was previously available. The color was corrected well and the black points are pretty much spot-on for my viewing pleasure.

Old 03-16-04, 01:00 PM

I hope so. Since Columbia is releasing 3-disc SEs of such inane titles as Panic Room and Spider-Man, I can' see why they don't revisit one of their bona fide classics.
GB 2 with some features might be nice too...
Old 03-16-04, 01:03 PM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Where the heck did that come from? Your perception of his maturity has nothing to do with this topic. If you disagree, fine... state your reasons and leave it at that. But there's no need to turn it personal.
Old 03-16-04, 01:03 PM

Ghostbusters really should have been a two disc set. While the movie does look amazing I'm sure it could be better if it had the whole disc to its self. If they were to make it a two disc set, add the deleted scenes and music video, include Akyroyd's original draft and maybe a commentray from him I'd buy it right away.

Ghostbusters 2 really needs a special edition. It may not have been as well recieved as the original but its still a great movie. A commentary would be nice (how about Ernie Hudson on this one?) and the deleted scenes would make me very happy.
Old 03-16-04, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Actually, I wish they'd make a 20th anniversary edition with the Ghostbuster logo on the front. I remember when the movie ad first appeared with just the words "Coming to save the world this summer".
Old 03-16-04, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Vega, that's a dream set. I would love to see a Superbit GB myself.
Old 03-16-04, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by RockyMtnBri
Actually, I wish they'd make a 20th anniversary edition with the Ghostbuster logo on the front. I remember when the movie ad first appeared with just the words "Coming to save the world this summer".
There's a great custom on DCA you should check out. It's pretty much just that.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.