The Godfather Part II...NOT COMING?!

Community
Search

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-04, 08:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I see on the upcoming release schedule that The Godfather is coming May 11th...What about Godfather II?
Old 03-15-04, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Later in the year.
Old 03-15-04, 08:34 AM

*wipes sweat off brow*

Whew.
Old 03-15-04, 10:51 AM
JM1

Errrrrr...is anyone else confused by this post?

Because a certain film is not announced for release you assume it is not coming?

Why would you assume such a thing?

This reminds me of posts where people enquire after certain movies, and the DVD companies release the standard "there are no plans to release this movie at this time", and people go apesh*t and assume that means never!

Don't get me wrong, I'm not threadcrapping here, I am just confused at this kind of reasoning.

DVD companies often play things close to their chest, and will decide for themselves when they decide to make things public.

Look how long we waited for announcements about Indiana Jones and BTTF - it felt like we would never see them.

My theory is that it is always just a matter of time - everything (with perhaps the odd exception) will come to DVD eventually.
Old 03-15-04, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by JM1
Errrrrr...is anyone else confused by this post?

Because a certain film is not announced for release you assume it is not coming?

The original rumor was that only GF1 was being re-released. I don't see anything odd about assuming what he did, since the studios are known to do stupid things.

From the Digital Bits:
11/18/03
We have word from studio sources on that Godfather DVD re-issue rumor that's been going around. There will be another Godfather DVD out next year, but it will ONLY be the first film, as a single-disc release. This will be basically the same disc that's currently in The Godfather DVD Collection, with the Coppola audio commentary. The only difference will be that the film's digital video file is being given an additional clean-up pass by Lowrey Digital. Watch for it in May 2004.
Old 03-15-04, 11:49 AM
JM1

Well, ok.

But I have 3 points to make about that -

1. The original post made no mention of this "rumour". And before I get the "you should already be aware of it" response, like most people here, I am hardly likely to read every single thread on he board.

2. It's a rumour, it's unconfirmed, it may not be true etc. Which as it turns out is the case. A lot of people seem to like jumping on these rumours and splashing "Shock" Horror" They cannot do this etc"type posts that everyone else jumps all over and adds their "Yeah dude, that sucks" replies to. I just find all that extremeley redundant and pointless for an unsubstantiated rumour.

3. Did anyone in their right mind actually believe for one second they would not release the second movie? Come ooooonnnnn!

Perhaps they are hanging back with the announcenments to make sure people buy the existing versions? What better way to sell the existing versions than to start these rumours?

D'ja ever thing about that?
Old 03-15-04, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

JM1, give it a rest, man.
Old 03-15-04, 01:20 PM
Retired

So no boxed set this time?
Old 03-16-04, 08:45 AM

Originally posted by JM1

This reminds me of posts where people enquire after certain movies, and the DVD companies release the standard "there are no plans to release this movie at this time", and people go apesh*t and assume that means never!

Don't get me wrong, I'm not threadcrapping here, I am just confused at this kind of reasoning.

DVD companies often play things close to their chest, and will decide for themselves when they decide to make things public.

Look how long we waited for announcements about Indiana Jones and BTTF - it felt like we would never see them.

My theory is that it is always just a matter of time - everything (with perhaps the odd exception) will come to DVD eventually.
Don't be a dick, dick. Thanks.
Old 03-16-04, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Who cares, if you don't have the boxset already then whats the point? You obviously didn't enjoy the movie.
Old 03-16-04, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by actyper
Who cares, if you don't have the boxset already then whats the point? You obviously didn't enjoy the movie.
The logic train is off the tracks yet again.
Old 03-16-04, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Maybe you just love the first two so much that you can't stand the idea of ever even owning #3? I mean, granted, it's a nice box set, and i've been meaning to replace my stolen copy, but #3 is bad enough that I could fully understand that logic.
Old 03-16-04, 02:56 PM

Maybe I don't have a money tree outside of my house. But since you know so much about me, please, tell me what I think of the Godfather series. I'm dying to know.
Old 03-16-04, 03:18 PM

I "obviously" didn't get sucked in to buying the box set. And if I only liked the first movie (for me II beats I, III is a lousy money grab) why would I spend $60-70$ for it?

Waiting is a virtue especially since there are many other films (DVD's) to enjoy, besides can just rent the thing for a few bucks anyway.

My point is..we all don't have deep pockets.

cheers
Old 03-16-04, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by ThatGuamGuy
Maybe you just love the first two so much that you can't stand the idea of ever even owning #3? I mean, granted, it's a nice box set, and i've been meaning to replace my stolen copy, but #3 is bad enough that I could fully understand that logic.
Sorry for the hijack, but I'm just wondering how many times you've seen 3? As much flak as it's given, it is a good movie when held up to an average movie. When compared to two of the best films of the past 50 years, it doesn't compete, but come on, you can't say if you loved 1 and 2 that the fact that 3 was included made you not buy it...I mean the set has been $50 for the past year if you're willing to look, and $25 a piece for 1 and 2 plus a free bonus disc is pretty nice, and that's totally forgetting about 3, which is still a good movie, and has some great commentary as well.
Old 03-16-04, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts
You know what I like? Nia Long.
Old 03-16-04, 10:17 PM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Godfather Part II's been available for over two years now. It's not even out of print.
Old 03-16-04, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by jough
Godfather Part II's been available for over two years now. It's not even out of print.
There was one?
Old 03-16-04, 10:55 PM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Yes - released October 9, 2001:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...03CXAA/dvdtalk
Old 03-16-04, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I meant:

CRUISER: I joined the army cause my father and my brother were in the army. I thought I better join before I get drafted.

SGT. HULKA: Son there ain't no draft no more.

CRUISER: There was one?