Community
Search

Belle De Jour questions...

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-04, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Belle De Jour questions...

I was about to order Bunuel's Belle De Jour but somehow I have this nagging feeling that it was rumoured to be on the future release list for Criterion....and I recall some not-so-savory opinions of the transfer - which is not anamorphic as the cover says....and the promised interview with Deneuve is also absent if I recall...

So basically i'm curious to hear some opinions about the disc itself and rumoured rereleases, if any....does Criterion plan to release this in the future?
Old 02-29-04, 04:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have been hopeful that Criterion would release this, my favorite Buñuel film, but I think it's a long shot. (At one point the BV edition went OOP, which fueled the specualtion, but it was merely re-released at a lower price point.) The current BV edition is non-anamorphic. The transfer is soft, but serviceable. The commentary track is quite good. I'm happy to own it, but I'd upgrade to an new anamorphic transfer in a heartbeat.

Personally, I wouldn't hold out for a CC release. They have at least 2 or 3 unreleased Buñuel films (The Milky Way, The Phantom of Liberty, Tristana) that I expect to see long before they'd attack Belle de jour.
Old 02-29-04, 09:40 PM

According to the specs on the amazon.com site the DVD is anamorphic?

what gives?
Old 02-29-04, 10:52 PM

Originally posted by billy9215
According to the specs on the amazon.com site the DVD is anamorphic?
Nope. They've also listed a Catherine Deneuve interview on this DVD on certain sites, but it ain't there (I think BV is guilty of false advertising on both counts--but I could be wrong.).

Review from DVD Beaver
Old 03-01-04, 02:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by FilmFanSea
The transfer is soft, but serviceable. The commentary track is quite good. I'm happy to own it, but I'd upgrade to an new anamorphic transfer in a heartbeat.
Pretty much my opinion, also.
Old 03-01-04, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Transfer's not very good. If I remember right, it is quite dirty as well. Wouldn't hold my breath on a Criterion edition.

Dan
Old 03-01-04, 07:36 PM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
It's unlikely that BV would license this to Criterion - they did let them put out Rushmore and The Royal Tenenbaums, as well as Chasing Amy - but those titles are few and far between.

It's possible, but even if it happens it won't happen for a long long time.

In the meantime, the current disc is less than $10. May as well pick it up - you could sell it for close to that on Half.com once the new one comes out (IF a new one comes out).
Old 03-01-04, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by jough

In the meantime, the current disc is less than $10. May as well pick it up - you could sell it for close to that on Half.com once the new one comes out (IF a new one comes out).
it's not less than $10 anywhere i can find...$15 is the cheapest price on line....
Old 03-01-04, 11:51 PM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Huh. Weird. I got it for $9.46 at DDD. It's $13.80 there now (still not a bad price, though, and less than $15).