Reload this Page >

ROBOCOP SE is coming!!!

ROBOCOP SE is coming!!!

Old 02-23-04, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ROBOCOP SE is coming!!!

according to DVD Angle:

From MGM, look for a special edition of Robocop to arrive as part of the Robocop Trilogy on 06/08 for $39.96. Robocop (the 102-minute theatrical cut) will be presented by way of a new hi-def anamorphic widescreen transfer with DD 5.1 audio. There will also be a commentary (with Paul Verhoeven, producer Jon Davidson, and writer Edward Neumeier), a new 36-minute documentary Flesh And Steel: The Making of RoboCop, 4 deleted scenes, a 6-minute film-to-storyboard comparison with optional commentary by Phil Tippett, 2 vintage featurettes, 101 stills, 2 trailers, and a TV spot. Also included with this set will be MGM's debut of Robocop 2 and Robocop 3. Both will be movie-only discs with anamorphic widescreen transfers and DD 5.1 audio (Note: the old, out-of-print, Image releases were letterbox with 2-channel audio). Robocop 2 and Robocop 3 will be available individually for $14.98 each, but Robocop: Special Edition will be exclusive to this box set.

well....
Old 02-23-04, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts
My day has been made.
Old 02-23-04, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I wonder if the commentary will be the same from the CC edition. Not sure whether to get this one or not, being I am happy with my CC release. Anamorphic and DD 5.1 would be nice, but having the Director's unrated version is nice. Hmmmmmmm......
Old 02-23-04, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

So, basically, there's still no reason to unload the Criterion... Figures.
Old 02-23-04, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i also wish that the Director's Cut was included in the SE

but for MSRP $39.99 ($25 on release day?) i'd be happy to grab this puppy

or maybe i should go to other region? hmmmm... the plot thicken
Old 02-23-04, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Me wonders if the colors will be FUBAREd like previous MGM Robocop releases.
Old 02-23-04, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'll get the boxset and hang on to my Criterion.
Old 02-23-04, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wow, I just reread that press release.

So, let me get this straight... it will NOT include the director's cut? And, in order to get the first movie, we have to buy the crappy (IMHO) sequels?

No thanks. I'll stick w/my Criterion and/or get the Region 2 edition for the supplements.

EDIT: The more I think about this, the less sense it makes. The sequels are available separately, but the original isn't??????
Old 02-23-04, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by bboisvert
Wow, I just reread that press release.

So, let me get this straight... it will NOT include the director's cut? And, in order to get the first movie, we have to buy the crappy (IMHO) sequels?

No thanks. I'll stick w/my Criterion and/or get the Region 2 edition for the supplements.

EDIT: The more I think about this, the less sense it makes. The sequels are available separately, but the original isn't??????
I'm with you. I recant my first statement. My day has NOT been made .
Old 02-23-04, 05:51 PM

I'll have to think about this one. You have to buy the set in order to get the Robocop SE. The 2nd movie was OK and if I remember the 3rd one sucked. Since I have the Criterion, the only real reason to get this version is for the anamorphic theatricial version and the documentary.

Only chance is if I can get it real cheap around the $20-23 range.
Old 02-23-04, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

You can get other region's SE for like $6.
Old 02-23-04, 06:02 PM

Originally posted by BlackBeauty92
i also wish that the Director's Cut was included in the SE

but for MSRP $39.99 ($25 on release day?) i'd be happy to grab this puppy

or maybe i should go to other region? hmmmm... the plot thicken
Didn't the article from DVD Angle say it would be the 102 minute version? My Criterion disc runs for 102 minutes so I'm guessing its the same cut as the Criterion in anamorphic widescreen.

I'm quite satisfied with my Criterion disc but I have been holding out for a better version of Robocop 2 so I guess I'll be plumping for the box set since R2 will be in anamorphic widescreen with a DD 5.1 track. Plus the additional material on the Robocop SE disc means that I might be picking this set up.

But then again I am a fan, and double dipped for the Alien saga so this will be no problem.
Old 02-23-04, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm probably just going to stick with my Criterion edition for the moment. I'm not a big fan of the other 2 films, and from the sound of it the contents of the first film are mostly from the Criterion edition anyway.
Old 02-23-04, 06:03 PM

Btw, if the commenatry is the same as the Region 2 disc then its a different commentary track than the Criterion.
Old 02-23-04, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by BananaMan
Didn't the article from DVD Angle say it would be the 102 minute version? My Criterion disc runs for 102 minutes so I'm guessing its the same cut as the Criterion in anamorphic widescreen.
reeeeeeaaally.....

i don't have the CC... so i have no clue what's the running time difference between theater & director's cut

BUT... if it's true 102 is the director's cut running time, then...

then...

*pass out*
Old 02-23-04, 06:12 PM

For once R1 is two years late .......
Old 02-23-04, 06:13 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 369 Likes on 327 Posts
i'm pretty sure the original MGM and Image releases were 102/3 minutes, same as Criterion, but included altered scenes, like swerving around toxic avenger man and stuff like that to make it less gruesome and more tv/ r-rated friendly, thus same running time, but different content. criterion will be the only one with the x-rated scenes.
Old 02-23-04, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The director's cut adds only a mtter of a few seconds of much more gory parts. Altogether, it doesn't total a minute of added footage, so the length for both cuts is about 102 minutes.

It may not sound like much, but the effect when watched is much more harsh.
Old 02-23-04, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I hope it is a misprint. The uncut version had better be included otherwise no reason whatsoever to updrage! What happened to the seamless branching news?

So I hope this is all a misprint & will be corrected soon. It does not make sense for MGM to release Verhoevens Flesh + Blood fully uncut,then schizo around & release a Robocop SE that is censored!

Also it would be nice if Robocop 2 were the uncut verson. It is supposed to be extremely violent & more gruesome than the original! But I bet it will be the R rated cut. So keep us informed on that one please!
Old 02-23-04, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by DonnachaOne
The director's cut adds only a mtter of a few seconds of much more gory parts. Altogether, it doesn't total a minute of added footage, so the length for both cuts is about 102 minutes.

It may not sound like much, but the effect when watched is much more harsh.
Correct. So, again, I - personally - still see no reason to "upgrade" from the CC for the anamorphic transfer... And that's a real pisser.
Old 02-23-04, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I like the scene in Robocop II where the prototype robots go crazy.

Last edited by DVD Josh; 02-23-04 at 06:35 PM.
Old 02-23-04, 06:23 PM

Originally posted by Julie Walker
I hope it is a misprint. The uncut version had better be included otherwise no reason whatsoever to updrage! What happened to the seamless branching news?

So I hope this is all a misprint & will be corrected soon. It does not make sense for MGM to release Verhoevens Flesh + Blood fully uncut,then schizo around & release a Robocop SE that is censored!

Also it would be nice if Robocop 2 were the uncut verson. It is supposed to be extremely violent & more gruesome than the original! But I bet it will be the R rated cut. So keep us informed on that one please!
I've actually seen a workprint version of Robocop 2 and it makes the Criterion cut look like an episode of Sesame Street...

I doubt we'll see it on DVD for some time...probably not at all.
Old 02-23-04, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I used to have the old Image version of Robo2 and lost it... I am glad they are finally releasing 2 again. I could care less about 3.
Old 02-23-04, 06:36 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

I say awesome!

I am one of the few who like 2, I find it darkly comic with some great action scenes to boot. I'll be glad to finally have it. I probably won't watch 3 more than once, however, once I remember how crappy it was. But thatt's okay, since I'll be able to get two movies I want for ~$20 street, minus my old version sold.

I honestly don't care about the X-cut, I find the theatrical awesome as is. So I'll mainly be doing this for the extras on 1, since the transfer will likely be similar to my current bare-bones edition.

Anyway, I say thanks MGM, we finally get a proper release of this classic!
Old 02-23-04, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Why is Robocop SE only being released in the box set and the sequels released individually? Shouldn't it be the other way around?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.