Community
Search

The Tick DVD....Genius!

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-04, 01:44 AM
AOD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Tick DVD.... SPOOOOON!!!

Picked this up today, and let me say I think it is fantastic. Been thinking about getting this as a blind buy and finally did. I thought it was well worth it. The show is so off the wall that it works. I didn't get a chance to catch this in syndication and now wish it would have continued for a few more seasons. I can see how this wouldn't be for everyone, but I thought it was hilarious. Anyone else get this?

Last edited by AOD; 02-10-04 at 09:43 AM.
Old 02-10-04, 01:48 AM
Suspended

Oh god yes. I was into the Tick long before it became mainstream (Like I bought the first editions of the comics as they were coming out) - so this was a no-brainer buy for me.

Brilliant stuff. Now I just wish the cartoon would hit so I can retire my tapes.
Old 02-10-04, 01:59 AM

BACHMAN TURNER OVERDRIVE! I didn't realize it's genius til I watched it with my friend on DVD. I did catch a few episodes during their original airing, but never gave them the full attention that they deserved. I plan on buying a set for myself here very soon.
Old 02-10-04, 03:17 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I heard bad things from other Tick fans, but is IS Patrick Warburton, so I'll give it a shot.

And yes, PLEASE somebody release the cartoon!
Old 02-10-04, 03:51 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I really wish the cartoon was on dvd already
Old 02-10-04, 04:09 AM

I'm from the UK, so there was NO CHANCE IN HELL this will ever be on TV, but as a fan of the cartoon I thought it was worth getting it.
Loved every episode, very funny lines and Captain Liberty-SMOKING!!!!! and a great Ron Pearlman cameo.
"This is that someones' story........hey a bus"
Old 02-10-04, 04:55 AM

"Well, I judge him, and find him funny"

... and I find the Tick to be funny. Loved the comic, cartoon series, and the live action show. I'll be happy if the cartoon version of the Tick shows up on DVD too.
Old 02-10-04, 07:30 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Shouldn't your thread title read:

The Tick DVD.... SPOOOOON!!!
Old 02-10-04, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I remember doing a search awhile back in the TV Forum and there was a post and link to an announced TICK ANIMATED SERIES DVD RELEASE, but it's been quite awhile. Any news on that? Or was it just shelved?
I'd give my right nut to have the Tick animated and live-action Batman series on DVD.
;(
Old 02-10-04, 10:19 AM
Banned

I also was a fan of the Tick back when the comics first came out.

When I saw the first ep of the live action show, I predicted cancellation in 6 episodes.

Why? Because it was too good.

It was too much like the comic book. In some cases, that's ok. With The Tick, though, it wasn't. The Tick comics were a parody of the superhero genre, and the enjoyment of the comics came from being a comic book fan and understanding the digs made at the mainstream costumed heroes.

Joe Average TV Viewer doesn't know that. So the series made no sense.

I just wish we could have seen Paul the Samurai and Ninja World.

Paul: No quarter asked, no quarter given!

Ninja 1: What'd he say?

Ninja 2: I think he wants a quarter...
Old 02-11-04, 12:06 AM
AOD

Just finished the last episode. Kept hitting the next button hoping there would be another episode. Alas, there wasn't. Ya know, it's amazing the crap that gets chance after chance in primetime and The Tick was not even given close to that chance. The show is ten time better (and FUNNIER) than half that crap. I think it could have found a home on comedy central. Who the heck we gotta talk to, to bring this back? I didn't want the dvd set to end. Speaking of the DVD set, I was quit surprised that having the series pulled so quickly, they decided to bring out this two disc set with full on anamorphic treatment. Or the fact it even came out on DVD at all. Oh, Patrick Warburton as the Tick has enough memorable quotes in the few episodes they released to last ten seasons. We could start a thread with his quotes alone and have it run on for days. Bring back The Tick!!! To all those who are curious about the series, buy the DVD set. You'll laugh until your stomach hurts.

"Hey, there's a snake on your face son"

Last edited by AOD; 02-11-04 at 12:12 AM.
Old 02-11-04, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: In my secret underground lair, plotting to TAKE OVER THE WORLD!!! Bwuaaahahahaha!!
Did Captain Liberty's "Wardrobe Malfunctions" make it in this set?

I noticed on some of the early episodes that her uniform was definitely "see thru."
Old 02-11-04, 10:56 AM

I loved this show when it was on FOX. It was just too smart for the typical audience, kinda like Family Guy.
Old 02-11-04, 06:15 PM

"It's seeping through the pipes and making the water taste funky!"

"You're on a first name basis with lucidity, little friend. I have to call it 'mister' lucidity... and that's no good in a pinch."

Just thought I'd share.
Old 02-11-04, 07:19 PM
AOD

"Give up that bitter black urine men call coffee. Ahh. Java devil, you are now my bitch."

"Stop saying the D word. Your making the head baby kick"

"Everything dies.......even potatoes"

Last edited by AOD; 02-11-04 at 07:42 PM.
Old 02-11-04, 08:55 PM

"Another urban myth dispelled... ninjas don't bounce"
Old 02-12-04, 11:42 AM

Agreed, this show was genious. It just aired at a poor time.
Old 02-12-04, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Well, I was thrilled when I heard this was coming to DVD, and the fact that I recieved an advance copy to review for DVD Talk made me even happier. I originally bought the 'Omnibus' trade paperbacks (collecting the earlier issues of the comic) about 10 years ago, and loved the cartoon too. I think the show is about as good a live-action version as you're going to get, and the DVD delivers a great technical presentation too. Too bad about the lack of meaty extras, but the widescreen transfer really makes up for it.
Old 02-16-04, 10:17 AM
Suspended

Too good for TV!

I absolutely knew nothing about "The Tick" until I chanced on the episode where Arthur comes out to his family as a superhero and has to be deprogrammed. I found it profoundly weird and did not know what to think of it as if it were some joke I wasn't in on.

Unfortunately, so many people had the same initial reaction the show got cancelled pronto by those illuminati of the zeitgeist at Fox (I think it was Fox). I remember scanning my TV Guide week after week after that in the hope of getting another jolt of the same weirdness but eventually gave up looking.

Then I chanced on the DVD in the no-rental bin of my uppity chi-chi DVD store and instantly recognized Patrick Warburton's mug, bought it, brought it home and BAM! Instant evelation. This is the most brilliantly written and acted American comedy series of all time. It makes any other TV comedy you can name look belaboured and obvious. It's sad watching those nine episodes knowing that there will never be any other.

I think Patrick Warburton - a very original actor - deserves some kind of national Congressional Medal of Honour for capturing something vital in the American psyche and the whole cast should have a monument dedicated to them for all-round coolness. I wonder if it could ever be turned into a film...

Last edited by baracine; 02-16-04 at 02:33 PM.
Old 02-16-04, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts
It's a shame there's no place on all these damn channels for 1/2 hour a week of superhero parody comedy. All the hundreds of hours of crappy edited movies, and no room for the Tick. Sad, really. The Sci-fi channel should have been the perfect home for this once fox canned it.
Old 02-16-04, 01:34 PM

SPOOOOOOOOOOOOOOON!

The failure of this show had absolutely nothing to do with the air time. It was doomed before anyone had even seen the first episode. I was working at Paramount when they were shooting this at the studio across the street from Warner Bros (Fox ranch?). It was more than a year after that when it finally made it to air and by then, the cast and crew had long since dispersed and Warburton was into other projects.
Old 02-16-04, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Finally got around to opening this DVD & watching the first couple of episodes this weekend. It's been in my unopened pile since it first came out & YES the show is pure genius. However the genius comes from the source material, rather than the adaptation of it.

What I love the most about the show is the obsurdity that some network execs actually thought that this show had a chance in hell of making it on basic cable. The show is WAY too out there, unique, & clever to ever be excepted by mainstream viewers.

Putty, I don't know his name, is perfect as the Tick, & I love the addiction of Bat-Manuel.

Truly a must own DVD IMO.
Old 02-16-04, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts
I don't know about going as far as to say it's genius.
I did enjoy it and would love to see the animated series.
I do think that Patrick W. was the perfect choice for the tick.
Old 02-16-04, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by rexinnih
I don't know about going as far as to say it's genius.
In terms of comparing it to everything else on basic cable. Yes, I would go as far as saying it's genius. It's not reality TV, it's not a boring sitcom with laugh tracks & the same lame punchlines, etc etc. The show is compltely unique, & extremely creative.
Old 02-16-04, 06:58 PM

Had to be pulled to make room for fat fiances, midget lovers, and all manner of nature attacking.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.