Community
Search

Alice in Wonderland - Widescreen?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-04, 07:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alice in Wonderland - Widescreen?

Excuse me if this has been discussed (I did search), but I was looking for Alice in Wonderland this weekend, and all I saw at Target and FYE said Full Screen under the technical specifications. Is there a seperate widescreen version? Does it include both even though it only says full screen? Was the movie not widescreen in the first place?
Old 02-09-04, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Alice is in it's proper aspect ratio.
Old 02-09-04, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thank you very much, I just wasn't sure.
Old 02-09-04, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
You aren't the only one! I and many other people here watched as people asked Best Buy CSRs where the WS version was
Old 02-09-04, 08:39 AM
Suspended - needs to provide a working email

This was discussed at length here:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...ighlight=alice
Old 02-09-04, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Not to berate anyone, honestly, but it should be obvious that a 1951 film would be in a 1.33:1 (or rather 1.37:1) ratio. Also, Disney has been releasing their animated classics in OAR always, so this wouldn't be an exception.
Old 02-09-04, 11:20 AM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Originally posted by jmj713
Not to berate anyone, honestly, but it should be obvious that a 1951 film would be in a 1.33:1 (or rather 1.37:1) ratio. Also, Disney has been releasing their animated classics in OAR always, so this wouldn't be an exception.
Why would it be obvious? How can the year that widescreen ratios began being used be obvious? You either know the history of aspect ratios, or you don't. It's not exactly common knowledge, and there's no way to know other than to ask or look it up.

Go easy on the noobs. Sheesh.
Old 02-09-04, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Why the hell would this be obvious? I had absolutely no idea exactly what year the movie came out. Besides, why do I even care when they started using various aspect ratios.

The first response to this thread was plenty. I did not need you to come in hear and crap all over me. I buy movies that I enjoy or that I think my family will enjoy. I buy widescreen because I do respect the director's vision, and enjoy the expanded shots. I have had a dvd player for 5 years now, and do not need to be talked down like a "noob"
Old 02-09-04, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Alice in Wonderland - Widescreen?

Originally posted by ESUguy
Excuse me if this has been discussed (I did search)
Not to treat you like a noob, but this thread would have answered your question.
Old 02-09-04, 01:37 PM

Originally posted by jmj713
it should be obvious that a 1951 film
It's not even obvious to me that this is a 1951 film. I can't recall seeing an original production year on the box of any of my classic Disney titles.

-AC
Old 02-09-04, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Re: Alice in Wonderland - Widescreen?

Originally posted by Gerry P.
Not to treat you like a noob, but this thread would have answered your question.
Yeah, I searched again, and it is halfway down the second search results page. I must have missed it. Shit, most aspect ratio questions are 84 pages long and on the front page.
Old 02-09-04, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Re: Re: Alice in Wonderland - Widescreen?

Originally posted by ESUguy
Yeah, I searched again, and it is halfway down the second search results page. I must have missed it. Shit, most aspect ratio questions are 84 pages long and on the front page.
I only came up with three threads in my search.

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/search....by=&sortorder=

EDIT

And not to be a jerk or anything, but if you collect DVDs, knowing a little something about the history of widescreen can be very helpful when shopping.

Last edited by Gerry P.; 02-09-04 at 02:23 PM.
Old 02-09-04, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Re: Re: Re: Alice in Wonderland - Widescreen?

EDIT

And not to be a jerk or anything, but if you collect DVDs, knowing a little something about the history of widescreen can be very helpful when shopping. [/B][/QUOTE]

I do generally know exactly what I'm buying if out looking for a movie. I didn't know/care that this came out, my wife just mentioned it after seeing the commercial. I started the thread after visiting a couple of places. Also, I don't buy movies to collect, I only buy movies I really enjoy, or think I'll watch time and time again. I could care less is someone else likes my "collection"
Old 02-09-04, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
I would think that barring some sort of knowledge that osmosed into the OP's head, or that was implanted at birth via some sort of cybernetic linkup, he may not be aware of the yearly changes that occur with regards to Aspect Ratios of the silver screen. Failing that, he came and asked a question the one place where he KNEW he could get an answer, and HOPED he wouldn't get jumped on. One out of two ain't bad, I guess.
Not everyone was born with massive amounts of movie trivia in their heads, and not everyone has had an interest or a need to answer specific questions about 'What happened to Cinemascope in 1951?'
Old 02-09-04, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

FYI - there was a previous thread about it here
Old 02-09-04, 03:53 PM
AOD

Holy cow. I can't believe the way you guys are treating this long-time member. All he wanted to do was ask a simple question and get a simple answer. This thread should have ended with DVD Josh's answer, but no, some of you had to add your 2 cents to pad your thread count up. Next time why don't you help a fellow member out instead of belittling him (her). If they did a search and happened to miss the thread they were looking for (yes, some threads are VERY long), point them in the right direction (without adding "not to treat you like a NOOB"). I see this time and time again in numerous threads and its dis-heartening. To think, he even apologized in advance! And no, not everyone knows when the different aspect ratios started being used.

Last edited by AOD; 02-09-04 at 03:55 PM.
Old 02-09-04, 03:58 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Come on guys. 1951 is right on the cusp of widescreen films. I think it's a reasonable question.
Old 02-09-04, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Gerry P.
And not to be a jerk or anything, but if you collect DVDs, knowing a little something about the history of widescreen can be very helpful when shopping.
And the first step towards "knowing a little something" is asking questions.

Which is exactly what he did. Now he knows.

Dear Lord, some people here act like they were BORN knowing everything there is to know about film.
Old 02-09-04, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Jesus, you act like it's a tragedy that I didn't know something about a film about which I don't even care. Get over it.
Old 02-09-04, 04:44 PM
AOD

Actually, ESUguy, the last couple of us are sticking up for you.
Old 02-09-04, 05:50 PM

Lady and the Tramp was the first w/s release.
Old 02-09-04, 08:57 PM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Originally posted by Bagheera
Lady and the Tramp was the first w/s release.
Not true. The first widescreen release was "The Robe" (1954).

L&tT was the first WS from Disney, though.
Old 02-09-04, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: In my secret underground lair, plotting to TAKE OVER THE WORLD!!! Bwuaaahahahaha!!
Here is my post from the original thread, which I thought was courteous & helpful (to toot my own horn ) and pointed out some of the problems determining OAR on Disney DVDs...
Originally posted by littlefuzzy
Going back to the original reason for this thread...

Looking at the back of my Alice in Wonderland 2-disc set, all I see is "Fullscreen (1.33:1)" and given Disney's track record, I might be concerned that they DID chop it up into a P&S version, if not for this thread and other information.

Unfortunately, Disney seems to be one of the few companies that don't print detailed aspect ratio information on their cases, or even the year the film was made, which could show whether a film was made before widescreen became standard.

For instance, the Singin' in the Rain 2-disc set from Warner Bros has this (probably referring to the movie and a documentary): "Standard Version presented in a format preserving the aspect ratio of their original theatrical/television exhibitions."

While Warner Bros doesn't list a year on the case for this title, they DO have a copyright date (Singin' in the Rain © 1951 Turner Entertainment Co.) which, even in the absence of aspect ratio information, would tell me that this film was probably NOT filmed in widescreen.
Old 02-10-04, 04:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by bboisvert
And the first step towards "knowing a little something" is asking questions.

Which is exactly what he did. Now he knows.

Dear Lord, some people here act like they were BORN knowing everything there is to know about film.
When I wrote "if you collect DVDs, knowing a little something about the history of widescreen can be very helpful when shopping" I was merely responding to the statement "Why the hell would this be obvious? I had absolutely no idea exactly what year the movie came out. Besides, why do I even care when they started using various aspect ratios." -- A reasonable response, if I say so myself.

Sorry I raised your ire. Moving along.