Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Did I just buy a bootleg?!? (Confidence DTS)

Community
Search

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-04, 04:39 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, so I was in a local store today (Newbury Comics for those in the Boston area) checking out the used DVD shelves. I found a copy of Confidence that had a DTS soundtrack. It was cheap, so I bought it. The thing is, I just popped it in to check it out and the picture looks very soft. I've never seen any other editions of Confidence, so I really have no idea if this transfer is just like that. Also, I can't find any info on a DTS edition of Confidence anywhere. If anyone has any info, please let me know. I've kept the receipt so I can return the disc if I want to. TIA.
Old 02-08-04, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

That is a bootleg. The region 1 release that I bought only has Dolby Digital on it.
Old 02-08-04, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
They ought to take it back without giving you any trouble too. If they don't, they could be facing criminal charges for selling it, if they have any idea what it is.
Old 02-08-04, 06:50 PM

yea , they prob did not know, i have seen some stuff that i am sure is a bootleg but do not grab it. I stick to the standard titles i know are good. Grabbed Seven Samurai and Versus Special edition there the other day. Got The Rock CC the other day from them and it did not work (froze on chapter 18) and had no problem returning it.
Old 02-08-04, 07:18 PM

I had the same problem with The Rock CC, it seems to freeze on layer change. Deep Discount DVD took it back without any problem although it took over 1 month for them to do so.
With the problems with defective disks and Floaties (dvds that fall out of the center ring) I very rarely mail order disks now and purchase them all locally.
Old 02-08-04, 08:32 PM
Cool New Member

Ok, here's an update. I'd closely inspected the back cover when I was in the store, and everything seemed legit, down to a Region 1 coding symbol. No typos or anything like that in the synopsis. The cover art is different from the regular Confidence DVD, but I put that down to the fact that this was the "DTS Version". It is also a barebones edition without any commentary. On the menu screens, everything seems good too.

Here's where it got weird...As I mentioned before, the picture looked very soft. But perhaps the weirdest thing is that when I selected DTS as the audio option, most of the dialog was coming out of my right rear surround speaker! The DD5.1 track sounds fine, and in fact sounds pretty good. For a bootleg, this is actually quite good. I think that consumers without a very revealing display or without surround sound set-ups would likely not notice. That said, it's pretty stupid to sell a bootleg with a flawed DTS soundtrack when advertising it as the "DTS Version". For reference, my display is a Hitachi 57TWX20B which has been tweaked to death. I think smaller, lower resolution sets will not show the softness as much, especially direct-view CRT TVs.

Thanks for all the replies everyone!
Old 02-08-04, 08:42 PM

Sounds like that Freaky Friday counterfeit disc I got online. Same deal--It had DTS and a different case than the one in the stores, and I couldn't access anything on the menu except "play movie", AND the transfer was dark.

The world is cruel!
Old 02-09-04, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts
Confidence does have a DTS 5.1 soundtrack on the HK DVD. But the HK DVD is coded from Region 3. On top of that, the R3 disc is a DVD-5 with just DTS 5.1 and DD 5.1 soundtracks and Chinese subtitles.