More Star Wars News (4 Disk Set, SE Only) Part 2

Community
Search

More Star Wars News (4 Disk Set, SE Only) Part 2

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-04, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've upgraded several times already. I have widescreen versions of the SE from 97. At this point I could wait many years to upgrade again. The only thing I would consider buying is a set that included the original trilogy.

The only way I would buy a new set is if they included AMAZING extras.
Old 02-07-04, 03:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'll buy them all as well. The only thing that I missed from the original three is the song change in ROTJ.
Old 02-07-04, 04:26 PM

I'll also be buying them.. I'll buy them again when Super DVD comes out, and once again when Super Duper DVD comes out and when each platform has a new special extra fancy version. They will all look great on my shelf, next to my multiple Beta, VHS, and Laser Disk versions..
Old 02-07-04, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I'll buy whatever Lucas wants to sell us. Like so many people who originally signed that petition in 1999 asking for the Star Wars films to be released on DVD, I said I was more than willing to buy both a "no-thrills" version first, and then a more substantial version later.

I'm sure Lucas is taking our word for that.
Old 02-07-04, 08:30 PM
Banned

Originally posted by TLamm
I'll also be buying them.. I'll buy them again when Super DVD comes out, and once again when Super Duper DVD comes out and when each platform has a new special extra fancy version. They will all look great on my shelf, next to my multiple Beta, VHS, and Laser Disk versions..
Super Duper DVD?

I thought it's technical name was going to be "Triple Dog Dare DVD."

U sure bout that?

Old 02-08-04, 07:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Must have STAR WARS now!!! Hell yeah I'll buy this... I'm like the others here, I just need star wars... if they want to do a few double dips, I'm there as well. We're all a marketing person's wet dream... oh well... give me star wars!

MATT
Old 02-08-04, 12:28 PM

If they do with the OT SE what they did with the Indy trilogy then I'll buy the package. I'm happy about the Indy package that I bought... very well restored films and fun behind the scenes documentary on the 4th disc. Add to that commentaries on all three films and I'm happy.
Unless Episode 3 put things right I'm not even that sure I want the new trilogy to be part of my collection anyways...
Old 02-08-04, 12:57 PM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Oh, man, YES - COMMENTARY by Lucas and crew would be great on these. I've really enjoyed the commentary tracks on Eps. 1 & 2.

"Oh, and here's where I started to ruin Star Wars. I remember sitting in my beach house thinking 'If Greedo shot first, that would really make the scene incomprehensible, and flatten-out Solo's character arc - he'd just go from hero to hero!' and that's why Greedo shoots first. He was actually meant to always shoot first, but we didn't have the technology back then. Why does he shoot first and miss? You know, because I hate Harrison and I really wanted his already thankless character to have even less to do - we just got him suited up and told him to go from point A to point A. Ha ha!"
Old 02-08-04, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

HERE'S A PHONY REVIEW OF THE STAR WARS BONUS DISC THAT I HOBBLED TOGETHER FROM A THE DIGITALBITS.COM REVIEW OF INDIAN JONES:

Star War Original Trilogy Bonus Material

All of the extras in this box set are found on the fourth disc. Unfortunately, Lucas nixed the idea of including such things as deleted scenes on this set.. So what does that leave extras-wise? Well... you get a documentary, four featurettes, trailers for all three films and a DVD-ROM weblink.

The Making of a Trilogy runs over two hours in length It's been culled together from hundreds of hours of never-before-seen film and video material found in the Lucasfilm archives. You'll see George screwing around on the set with Hamill, Ford, and Fisher. You'll even get a look at production artwork and a bit of deleted material. There's just a lot of fun on set footage that you've never seen before, married with great stories and recollections from the cast and crew.

The documentary is presented chronologically, and is broken into three sections - one for each film. You can elect to view these separately, or all together. The sum is similar in quality, if not in style, to the documentary on the Episode I DVD. It's well worth at least one, and probably multiple, viewings.

In addition to this main documentary, there are also four separate featurettes. While The Making of a Trilogy looks at the on-set goings-on, these separate pieces highlight other, specific aspects of the production and post-production, including the stunt work, the sound design, the music and the special effects. The best of these is The Music of Star Wars, which will give you a taste of how John Williams approached the score for these films. You'll learn how he labored over the Star Wars theme, you'll see him directing his orchestra on the scoring stage and much more. This is all good stuff. Each of these separate featurettes are worth your time as well.

The trailers on this DVD are, thankfully, all presented in anamorphic widescreen. These are vintage trailers for all three films, a couple of which haven't been seen in years. Rounding out the extras are a few pages of DVD credits, and a DVD-ROM weblink that will allow you to access an exclusive page at the Star Wars website. Word is, this will be the first place you'll learn about what's happening with Episode III, which is currently in post-production.

Last edited by Wannabe; 02-08-04 at 02:00 PM.
Old 02-08-04, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Excellent post Wannabe, but you forgot to replace "The Music of Indiana Jones" with "The Music of Star Wars."
Old 02-08-04, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Cartload
Excellent post Wannabe, but you forgot to replace "The Music of Indiana Jones" with "The Music of Star Wars."
Done.
Old 02-08-04, 02:03 PM
Banned

Excuse my ignorance but what's the point of a post such as the one above.

The Indiana Jones box set is CERTAINLY not the best way to present a trilogy of films as lusted after as that or Star Wars.

Come back when you replace the Alien Quadrilogy specs with Star Wars specs.

Aside from the presentation of the films, the IJ box set was one huge disappointment.
Old 02-08-04, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by digitalfreaknyc
Excuse my ignorance but what's the point of a post such as the one above.

The Indiana Jones box set is CERTAINLY not the best way to present a trilogy of films as lusted after as that or Star Wars.

Come back when you replace the Alien Quadrilogy specs with Star Wars specs.

Aside from the presentation of the films, the IJ box set was one huge disappointment.
The point is that you'll get an Indy-like box and that will be sad. It's not my fantasy wish list...it's just my prediction of another mediocre treatment of these films by George Lucas. He'll sell you this now, and in two or three more years he'll sell you something more exhaustive, but not definitive. The definitive release will happen when he revamps all the films for the HD-DVD release in 2010.
Old 02-08-04, 03:25 PM
Banned

How is the Indy Trilogy Boxset a disappointment? All 3 films beautifully remastered and restored with wonderful picture and sound...3 hours of doc's on the Trilogy...teasers...trailers...helluva nice lookin box...it doesnt really compare to the Alien Quadrilogy...but so what...its still a magnificant set!
Old 02-08-04, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How is the Indy Trilogy Boxset a disappointment? All 3 films beautifully remastered and restored with wonderful picture and sound...3 hours of doc's on the Trilogy...teasers...trailers...helluva nice lookin box...it doesnt really compare to the Alien Quadrilogy...but so what...its still a magnificant set!
I agree. Just because a set doesn't have 20 hours of extras doesn't mean it's a disappointment.
Old 02-08-04, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by DavidH
I agree. Just because a set doesn't have 20 hours of extras doesn't mean it's a disappointment.
Fans have an insatiable appetite for anything Star Wars. That's why Lucas can charge people to view the "Premium" section of his Star Wars website. Alien Quadrilogy raised the bar for the gold standard of box sets, anything less for Star Wars will be a disappointment. Lucasfilm has a huge archive of behind-the-scenes material, but I'll wager we won't see very much of it in the 2004 release. He'll hold back because he's greedy.
Old 02-08-04, 04:58 PM
Banned

Originally posted by QuiGonJosh
See a very old posting of what could have and should have been. Aside from the presentation of the films, the extras were severely lacking in substance. Sure, they had trailers but they DESERVED to have trailers (as does every release)...and even then they didn't include all them. They showed some great glimpses into the making of the films via footage from the sets but beyond that, all the retrospective interviews were pretty much garbage. They glossed over all of the material and revealed VERY little that wasn't told before. No new stories. 30 seconds worth of audition footage. No deleted scenes. No commentaries. None of the original documentaries were included. There's very little to write home about on this set besides the features themselves. In short, nothing special. And nothing worth making the public wait for.

And the Star Wars trilogy seems to be no different if they follow this same 4 disc formula.

And PLEASE don't give me that worn excuse that there's not enough documentary footage because that's complete bullshit.

Regardless, I bought Indy and I'll buy Star Wars. But it's really crappy to release something second-rate after all of this time. I'll take it because I take what I can get (as long as it's widescreen/5.1---sorry Warners...no police academy for me). But it doesn't mean that this was a half-assed attempt at something that deserves much much more.

Last edited by digitalfreaknyc; 02-08-04 at 05:00 PM.