Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Stupid things you have heard while shopping?

Community
Search

Stupid things you have heard while shopping?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-04, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When I was manager of a grocery store, this guy comes up with a few 1/2 gallons of teh then-new Sealtest Free Ice Cream. This was when the fat-free craze was just starting. This customer told me that he would have all these 1/2 gallons for free or he would get a lawyer to sue me since the packages said free on them. I sent him packing.
Old 02-06-04, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

the point i was trying to make is that i fail to see this connection :

Originally posted by pro-bassoonist

The reason his actions had such an impact on me was that I would expect that if someone is trying to help you at leats you listen to him and if you happen to disagree then politely thank the person and leave.

and this:

ok...here's my little "experience".... location (this is VERY important)-Bloomington, Indiana= a college town with a HUGE university!

For the record- THIS HAPPENED IN A COLLEGE TOWN!!
STUNNING!!

the location of this story seems to be very important to you, as you have pointed at, i just wasn't getting it.

seems like anyone should expect not to have their helpfulness returned with rudeness redgardless of what city, town (with or without a college) you are shopping in, or on the other hand expect that from any town you shop at, depending on your view of humanity

Last edited by Venom; 02-06-04 at 07:16 PM.
Old 02-07-04, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by bouncingsoul
Not really stupid, more like annoying: I put off buying the Indiana Jones set when it first came out, so when Fry's had it for 39.99 (again) a few weeks later, I decided to pick it up on my way home from work.

The cashier takes a look at the box:

Cashier (Bill Lumbergh-like) : "Ooooh, yeah...uh...you should've bought this when it first came out."

Me: "Oh yeah, why's that?"

Cashier: "It was cheaper. A lot cheaper."

Me: "Where? Here? Oh well."

Cashier: "Uh, no...at Costco. I got an extra disc, too."

Me: "Well, I don't have a Costco membership, so I'm in YOUR store trying to buy THIS right NOW."

Cashier: "Uh, well....next time try to buy movies when they first come out."

Me (about to choke him):........

Okay, you might say he was just trying to be helpful, but his attitude and tone of voice certainly didn't convey that. You had to be there.
Ok, that's just asinine, and I didn't have to be there. It sounded to me that he was being critical of YOU and your spending habits. His job is to check you out and get you on your way, and help you find something in the store if the need arises. His job is not to tell you or suggest how or when you should buy anything. I also hate it when I hear clerks tell customers that something they are trying to buy isn't a good movie. Unless the customer asks, it's not the clerk's place to throw in their personal opinion on the movie. If I go to buy Adaptation, what two rat's cracks do I give if the kid ringing me up hated it? Just check me out and shut up. I would be tempted to complain to the manager about that, especially in your case, if he's sending business to other stores and telling people when and when not to buy DVDs.
Old 02-07-04, 06:41 PM

Originally posted by MEJHarrison
I once had someone tell me what a movie fan he was and that I should check out some Albert Hitchcock films.
Yeah man, he's a genius. He's, like, the Alfred Einstein of movies.
Old 02-07-04, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

"did you get the full-screen?" teenage son says to mom

"yes" she replied

"good" was his response

i wanted to scream!
Old 02-07-04, 08:08 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
"did you get the full-screen?" teenage son says to mom

"yes" she replied

"good" was his response

i wanted to scream!
I have heard that so many friggin' times and still won't stand it if I ever hear it again!!
Old 02-08-04, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I was at the Jockey Lot today and heard someone say something so stupid, that I laughed outloud right in his face. I was at one section, where the dealers are an actual DVD/video game store. They just come to the Jockey Lot to make extra money besides what is at their actual store. Anyway, here we go.

My cousin was trading in a few DVDs, one of which was the older version of National Lampoon's Vacation, with Chevy Chase. I didn't know my cousin had that DVD, and since I only heard the dealer call out the name of it as he was writing everything down, I asked my cousin outloud "Hey Josh, is that the new version of that DVD or the old one?" and before my cousin could even tell me, the dealer goes "No man, this film is a classic, it came out back when I was a younger guy myself, back in the 80's. There isn't a new version of this film, THIS IS IT!"

Now I don't know if he was just confused, or a moron, but I had a good laugh over that.
Old 02-08-04, 12:46 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Old 02-08-04, 12:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I was at Suncoast one time and these guys were trying to explain the difference between widescreen and fullscreen using a picture of Dragonheart in pan-and-scan and widescreen and the one guy that worked there started to go down the path of insanity when he said:

Clerk 1: Yeah, I really like it when a DVD has anamorphic widescreen.
Clerk 2: What's that when it's anamorphic?
Clerk 1: When it's anamorphic, the scene will zoom in when the action gets really thick and become fullscreen.

WTF? Usually the guys at Suncoast are smart.
Old 02-08-04, 01:31 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I was in sears oneday and the clerk was explaing to a woman what widescreen was, she asked very loudly, "why would anyone spend all that money for a widescreen tv because widescreen is a fad that will be out in a year and all those people will feel really stupid." the clerk was so stupified he didn't know what to say...
Old 02-08-04, 01:40 AM

Originally posted by StrTrkker
Oh man...

Im heading to work tonight so I stop by to get some chicken at Browns (a Chicagoland franchise) and as im waiting for my order someone goes to the drive thru and asks the worker there if he knew where the nearest KFC was...
my friends and I backed through a drive through once, and when the passenger paid, the girl gave us a wierd look. we told her drive didn't work, and she said said' "oh ok," and gave us the food...
Old 02-08-04, 01:49 AM

Originally posted by calhoun07

One of the stupidest things I have ever heard was a customer saw movies marked off 25% and held up a 9.99 video and asked, "Does the 25% off make this five dollars?" Dude was serious too.
I hear stuff like this all the time. It blows my mind when I hear a couple discussing a price and one says, "what's 10% off of this," and the other says, "I don't know ask."
Old 02-08-04, 01:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

ok...here's my little "experience"....location (this is VERY important)-Bloomington, Indiana= a college town with a HUGE university!...
STUNNING!!
Yes, but a college town in Indiana.

Old 02-08-04, 04:20 AM

I shop online... no problemos here
Old 02-08-04, 05:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2019 TOTY Winner

Received 160 Likes on 122 Posts
Originally posted by BrentLumkin
I was at the Jockey Lot today and heard someone say something so stupid, that I laughed outloud right in his face. I was at one section, where the dealers are an actual DVD/video game store. They just come to the Jockey Lot to make extra money besides what is at their actual store. Anyway, here we go.

My cousin was trading in a few DVDs, one of which was the older version of National Lampoon's Vacation, with Chevy Chase. I didn't know my cousin had that DVD, and since I only heard the dealer call out the name of it as he was writing everything down, I asked my cousin outloud "Hey Josh, is that the new version of that DVD or the old one?" and before my cousin could even tell me, the dealer goes "No man, this film is a classic, it came out back when I was a younger guy myself, back in the 80's. There isn't a new version of this film, THIS IS IT!"

Now I don't know if he was just confused, or a moron, but I had a good laugh over that.
Attention K-Mart Shoppers
Old 02-08-04, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

quote:Originally posted by pro-bassoonist
ok...here's my little "experience"....location (this is VERY important)-Bloomington, Indiana= a college town with a HUGE university!...
STUNNING!!

Originally posted by DonnachaOne
Yes, but a college town in Indiana.

so....we arguably have the best Music School for example in the world (that's right....this is not a typo). Avoid your stereotype about Indiana, Bloomington has nothing to do with it.
Old 02-08-04, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Back when DVDs were new and I started collecting them, they most common comment given to me was...

"They're just like small Laser Discs, they'll never last. Nothing will replace VHS."

Makes me laugh.
Old 02-08-04, 10:41 AM

A couple years ago, I was standing in one of the DVD aisles at Best Buy when 3 teenage boys went by.

Boy #1: "Why are DVDs so expensive?"
Boy #2: "Because you don't need to rewind them."
Boy #3: "Yes you do!"
Boy #2: "Oh."

Old 02-08-04, 01:44 PM

A few weeks ago I overheard a Wal-Mart employee telling a customer they had to get rid of their $5.99 bin because people kept falling into it.
Old 02-08-04, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

so....we arguably have the best Music School for example in the world (that's right....this is not a typo). Avoid your stereotype about Indiana, Bloomington has nothing to do with it.
It was a JOKE, son. A joke.

But since we're avoiding the stereotypes, you might avoid your stereotype that everyone in a college town is competent... that guy might have been a music prodigy that didn't like subtitles
Old 02-08-04, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Sandpuppy
A few weeks ago I overheard a Wal-Mart employee telling a customer they had to get rid of their $5.99 bin because people kept falling into it.
While not falling into the bin, I did reach the bottom of it the other day. I was tired of shuffling the same 30 or so dvds around, so I decided to start stacking them in a giant pile that was probably 7' high. I stopped after it started wobbling and I thought I might be smothered in them.

By the way, reaching the bottom doesn't yield anything else that wasn't on the top, unfortunately.
Old 02-08-04, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Shagrath
By the way, reaching the bottom doesn't yield anything else that wasn't on the top, unfortunately.
That is a lie!

Me and my cousin have found stuff on the bottom, that wasn't on the top.
Old 02-08-04, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
A friend of ours just related to us last nigh a funny story about her dad. Apparently while she was visiting over the holidays he bought a new tv - ordering it to be delivered from the mom and pop appliance place he's patronized since the 50s. It was a "flat screen tv" but when the guys showed up with a giant square box he was mystified - telling them they brought the wrong one. Said to them: "where's my tv, what, did you fold up in there or something?" Turns out he though by saying flat screen he would get a 2 inch wide monitor he could mount on the wall that he'd seen in the Phillips commercial. Our friend tried to explain that those were a tad more expensive, as did the delivery guys....he just grumbled stomped off telling them to just "put it over there dammit..."
Old 02-09-04, 01:15 PM

Just to be a pain, I walk around in Dollar Stores picking up items and asking the staff "How much is this?" They invariably answer.
Old 02-09-04, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by DonnachaOne
It was a JOKE, son. A joke.

But since we're avoiding the stereotypes, you might avoid your stereotype that everyone in a college town is competent... that guy might have been a music prodigy that didn't like subtitles
Isn't the stereotype that "college town" would mean the guy ought to be wasted, not smart? Maybe that's just the rest of the Big Ten.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.