Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Stupid things you have heard while shopping?

Community
Search

Stupid things you have heard while shopping?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-04, 10:54 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Josh-da-man
Two instances:

The first one was about six years ago, I was in a Wal-Mart in, I think, Newton, Kansas. (It's important that it was in Kansas.)

This father and his son, who looked about seven, were paying for a video game in the electronics department. The kid had a little wallet, looked like he'd gotten money for his birthday or something. I'm in line behind them.

The video game was something like $39.99, and the kid gives the old man at the register forty dollars. The old man tells the kid that he needs more money, because Bill Clinton needs his cut. The kid looks sort of puzzled, and the old man asks the little boy if he likes Bill Clinton, and the kid shakes his head "no" and the dad and old man both laugh.

At that point, I interrupt them (I'm in a hurry and these jack-offs are wasting my time, but clerk/customer acquaintance chit-chats are another rant) and say that they're wrong. The federal government doesn't have the power to levy sales taxes, so Bill Clinton has nothing to do with sales taxes, and that those are set by the states. And that it would be more accurate to say that "Bill Graves" needs his cut. (Bill Graves was the governor of Kansas at the time.) The old man and the dad gave me dirty looks.

The second one was also in a Wal-Mart (notice a pattern?). This was last Christmas, and I walk into the DVD section. I see a blue vest helping an old pinch-faced, blue-haired lady. I don't pay any attention to them at first, but I see the kid pick up a copy of "Bruce Almighty," and he commences to tell her what it's about. Presumably, she was looking for a Christmas gift for someone. After the kid explains the movie to the old lady, she says "I don't like that. I don't like that witchcraft stuff." The kid then tells her that it wasn't witchcraft, and that God gives Jim Carrey his powers, and that it was really funny. She says, "It still sounds like witchcraft." At that point, I was starting to crack up, and walked away. I very nearly picked up a Buffy the Vampire Season Five, handed it to her, and told her to get them that, because there weren't any witches in it. Or lesbians, or anything like that.

So was you born a ******* or did it take years of hard work? Both things show your an ass and can't take a joke. I find the Bill thing damn funny and got the joke no idea why you want into a 2 year old fit mode. Also to say someone is dumb cause they believe in something is just retarded. Also report this to a mods if you wants but damn I'd bitch slap ya across the room if I was near ya.

Also guess I should add a story. I was at Wal-Mart the night LOTR Two Towers came out and the lady had to go into the back and get me one cause they had not yet put them out on the shelf. So some other guy wanted a copy to and she came out with a few wide screen and full screen copy's to put on the shelf I got the wide screen one and he got the full screen one. I asked what one you getting wide screen or full screen he said it did not matter cause he could strecth the picture out on his wide screen TV with the full screen one. I was like thinking WTF why own a wide screen TV if your going to get full screen and stretch the picture out!?

Last edited by TOPDAWG; 02-05-04 at 11:05 PM.
Old 02-05-04, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

ok...here's my little "experience"....location (this is VERY important)-Bloomington, Indiana= a college town with a HUGE university!

Target last summer-

A guy in his 30s- I heard about a film that is sort of horror sort of an Asian action film. I dont remember the title....my cousin told me about it...it has to do something with wolves....or wild animals.

clerk- this sounds very familiar...mmmm.....no, I dont think we carry this specific title.

guy- you sell dvds right....how come you dont have this title...it is new, my cousin told me.

clerk- well, you dont know the title...

at this point I figure this could only be Brotherhood of the Wolf...so decided to give it a shot.....

me- well, there is French film...Brotherhood of the Wolf...would that be the one your cousin told you about?

Guy (looks at me like I just hit him in the face)- look man, I am talking about a film....

me-(I am sure my face looked to him like he hit me right between my eyes)- well, indeed, I am talking about a FILM!! It is in French and I think that it matches your description. Besides I know that Target has it...I just saw it on the shelves.

guy-French huh? I dont speak French...why the hell would I want a film that I wont understand? Are you taking me on a ride man....mind your business.....a'right?

Me-but you could read the subs....you dont have to speak French to see it.

guy- Read? (his face turns purple!!)...If I wanted to read I would buy a book. You know what....forget about it...I will find something I like.....(and he walks off)....

I was about to try and explain to him that for dummies you actually could "listen" to the dialog in English...as you know the film is dubbed as well. But after his angry look at me I just gave up....paid for my stuff and left.

For the record- THIS HAPPENED IN A COLLEGE TOWN!!
STUNNING!!

Last edited by pro-bassoonist; 02-05-04 at 11:25 PM.
Old 02-06-04, 01:00 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by pro-bassoonist
For the record- THIS HAPPENED IN A COLLEGE TOWN!!
STUNNING!!

if the guy was in his 30s, why then does that matter? or was he your professor? or in your college town are only students and professors allowed to live there?
Old 02-06-04, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally posted by Steve Phillips
A guy asking for THE MAN WHO WASN'T THERE in color isn't as absurd as you think. The film was shot in color, and simply released in black and white. The studio insisted they shoot in color because the Asian market would demand it.

The color version is on DVD in Region 3. I guess they were right!
The Region 3 edition has both versions of the movie on separate discs, as I recall. The color version is more of a supplement than anything else.
Old 02-06-04, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally posted by Venom
if the guy was in his 30s, why then does that matter? or was he your professor? or in your college town are only students and professors allowed to live there?
Dear Venom

I was not tyring to imply that ONLY students and professors are allowed to live here. I think that you draw a different conclusion from my post (though if you have ever been to Bloomington you would know that Target is just a few miles from the actuall university in an area where mostly students and professors live-the mall. Those not affiliated with the university usually tend to live on the west side hence the huge division in our community).

The reason his actions had such an impact on me was that I would expect that if someone is trying to help you at leats you listen to him and if you happen to disagree then politely thank the person and leave.

With this said I am in my 30s and am affiliated with the university.

Sincerely,

pro-B

Last edited by pro-bassoonist; 02-06-04 at 10:41 AM.
Old 02-06-04, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by TOPDAWG
So was you born a ******* or did it take years of hard work? Both things show your an ass and can't take a joke. I find the Bill thing damn funny and got the joke no idea why you want into a 2 year old fit mode. Also to say someone is dumb cause they believe in something is just retarded. Also report this to a mods if you wants but damn I'd bitch slap ya across the room if I was near ya.
Jesus Christ! What did the guy say?!?! Sounds like you need a time out. Go sit in the corner! You can come out in an hour.

He was just stating facts about taxes and who really makes them. He was also pointing out people's STUPIDITY regarding thinking a movie about God is about witchcraft!

Take a chill pill, man!
Old 02-06-04, 11:01 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally posted by pro-bassoonist
Dear Venom

I was not tyring to imply that ONLY students and professors are allowed to live here. I think that you draw a different conclusion from my post (though if you have ever been to Bloomington you would know that Target is just a few miles from the actuall university in an area where mostly students and professors live-the mall. Those not affiliated with the university usually tend to live on the west side hence the huge division in our community).

The reason his actions had such an impact on me was that I would expect that if someone is trying to help you at leats you listen to him and if you happen to disagree then politely thank the person and leave.

With this said I am in my 30s and am affiliated with the university.

Sincerely,

pro-B
I think what Vernon is implying here is that not everyone is as educated as them 'college folk' , m'kay
Old 02-06-04, 11:06 AM
Banned

Originally posted by nodeerforamonth
Jesus Christ! What did the guy say?!?! Sounds like you need a time out. Go sit in the corner! You can come out in an hour.

He was just stating facts about taxes and who really makes them. He was also pointing out people's STUPIDITY regarding thinking a movie about God is about witchcraft!

Take a chill pill, man!
No he got all bent out of shape cause someone at a store made a joke. I think most everyone knows who makes sales tax's for a state. Also if you ask me I don't care what dumb thing someone will say in a store if they are not talking to me then I have no place to say a damn thing. Also he is saying she is dumb cause she did not want the movie cause it had witchcraft in it. That is the womans right and you can't say she is a moron cause she have a belief system. Anyway he won't mind my post he did it I just did it to him in turn. So what is the porb here I just did what he did to them folks joking about tax's. Just report my post to a mod. Hell I will just do it myself I'm sure I broke a rule.

PS. This off topic sorry folks I'm done now.
Old 02-06-04, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: In my secret underground lair, plotting to TAKE OVER THE WORLD!!! Bwuaaahahahaha!!
I asked what one you getting wide screen or full screen he said it did not matter cause he could strecth the picture out on his wide screen TV with the full screen one.
Old 02-06-04, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
Originally posted by JimRochester
Girlfriend tells boyfriend that the TV is too short (WS)
I just got an email that sells products to fix that problem.
Old 02-06-04, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by dtcarson
I just got an email that sells products to fix that problem.
I love those ads, turn the 13" TV into a 70" inch widescreen plasma.

I've only had a few "stupid" moments while shopping. Most recently when I was going to look for The Omega Man in Best Buy. Looked in the horror/sci-fi section and couldn't find it. So I ask the guy if they have it in the back or is it out of stock. The guy gives me this weird look for about 10 seconds, I thought he went into a standing coma. He snaps out of it and says, "Isn't that an adult title?" That response just made me go I told him the premise and that Heston stars in it, so he says "Ohhh THAT Omega Man."

Just another mind numbing Best Buy experience....
Old 02-06-04, 12:12 PM

so he says "Ohhh THAT Omega Man."
:laugh:
Old 02-06-04, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally posted by Giles
I think what Vernon is implying here is that not everyone is as educated as them 'college folk' , m'kay
Ok Giles...
Old 02-06-04, 12:53 PM

Video stores

I was talking to the owner of a local mom & pop video store, asking why all his DVDs were in fullscreen. He said he had to buy them that way, or else no one would rent from him. A little part of me died that day, and I haven't rented anything from there since.
I've also been in a couple other small video stores, in two different instances, customers have bragged to the owners that they had either downloaded or bought at a flea market, some bootlegged movie. " Yea, you can watch the whole movie on your computer". Totally amazes me.
Old 02-06-04, 01:03 PM

Originally posted by PixyJunket
Guy at store to clerk: "Do you have Matrix Reloaded?"
wow... that was hilarious...
Old 02-06-04, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by JimRochester
Girlfriend tells boyfriend that the TV is too short (WS)
Nah, you didn't understand, she meant something else....
Old 02-06-04, 01:31 PM

No he got all bent out of shape cause someone at a store made a joke. I think most everyone knows who makes sales tax's for a state. Also if you ask me I don't care what dumb thing someone will say in a store if they are not talking to me then I have no place to say a damn thing. Also he is saying she is dumb cause she did not want the movie cause it had witchcraft in it. That is the womans right and you can't say she is a moron cause she have a belief system. Anyway he won't mind my post he did it I just did it to him in turn. So what is the porb here I just did what he did to them folks joking about tax's. Just report my post to a mod. Hell I will just do it myself I'm sure I broke a rule.

PS. This off topic sorry folks I'm done now.
geez, i think you're the one getting bent out of shape, talking about beliefs and crap like that. i'm sure you don't say anything negative about people you don't know right?
LOL
Old 02-06-04, 02:13 PM

Not really stupid, more like annoying: I put off buying the Indiana Jones set when it first came out, so when Fry's had it for 39.99 (again) a few weeks later, I decided to pick it up on my way home from work.

The cashier takes a look at the box:

Cashier (Bill Lumbergh-like) : "Ooooh, yeah...uh...you should've bought this when it first came out."

Me: "Oh yeah, why's that?"

Cashier: "It was cheaper. A lot cheaper."

Me: "Where? Here? Oh well."

Cashier: "Uh, no...at Costco. I got an extra disc, too."

Me: "Well, I don't have a Costco membership, so I'm in YOUR store trying to buy THIS right NOW."

Cashier: "Uh, well....next time try to buy movies when they first come out."

Me (about to choke him):........

Okay, you might say he was just trying to be helpful, but his attitude and tone of voice certainly didn't convey that. You had to be there.
Old 02-06-04, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Re: Video stores

Originally posted by Quezacotl02
I've also been in a couple other small video stores, in two different instances, customers have bragged to the owners that they had either downloaded or bought at a flea market, some bootlegged movie. " Yea, you can watch the whole movie on your computer". Totally amazes me.
That is just rediculous. I despise people like that.
Old 02-06-04, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Stupid things I have seen while working:

I sent a tech out to troubleshoot a computer's lockup issues. I explained that he should take a look at the CPU fans, etc as they are the likely cause. A day later he brings the PC and says it's still locking up. A few hours later I pull apart the case to find the CPU Fan and heatsink GLUED to the CPU with rubber cement. Apparently the heatsink had fell off the CPU due to a clip breaking so he decided he could glue it on. Last time I checked anything with the name 'cement' won't transfer heat very well. Long story short - we replaced the motherboard, CPU and heatsink/fan free of cost. Oh....and he's not with the comapny anymore(not due to this).
Old 02-06-04, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It wasn't really heard while shopping, but my sister just called me and asked me what version of Office Space to get her husband. She said they only had the Full Screen edition. I tried to talk her out of it several times. I even tried to explain the difference over the phone, but I just don't think she was getting it. My bro-in-law has a pretty nice setup, so I doubt he would want a FF movie. Some people.
Old 02-06-04, 02:50 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally posted by bouncingsoul
Not really stupid, more like annoying: I put off buying the Indiana Jones set when it first came out, so when Fry's had it for 39.99 (again) a few weeks later, I decided to pick it up on my way home from work.

The cashier takes a look at the box:

Cashier (Bill Lumbergh-like) : "Ooooh, yeah...uh...you should've bought this when it first came out."

Me: "Oh yeah, why's that?"

Cashier: "It was cheaper. A lot cheaper."

Me: "Where? Here? Oh well."

Cashier: "Uh, no...at Costco. I got an extra disc, too."

Me: "Well, I don't have a Costco membership, so I'm in YOUR store trying to buy THIS right NOW."

Cashier: "Uh, well....next time try to buy movies when they first come out."

Me (about to choke him):........

Okay, you might say he was just trying to be helpful, but his attitude and tone of voice certainly didn't convey that. You had to be there.
cashier = all knowing self righteous prick.

I would have been "did I ask for your opinion on the matter, No! I don't think so"

Originally posted by Purrcey
HEre's mine,

Me: Do you have Nicholas Nickelby?

clerk at Sam's Club:
Is that animation like Squarepants SpongeBob?

Me (trying not to laugh):no,it's Charles Dickens (pause, clerk still has a blank look on his face) you know Bleak House, A Christmas Carol, Oliver Twist?

clerk (mumbling): I was never much of a reader
this one really cracked me up
Old 02-06-04, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Now for an on topic post: Blockbuster 2000(after the great Y2K bug) tee hee.

I'm renting a movie and they say "Uh....." kid looks like he's just seen the grimreaper stasring back from his computer console.
Clerk: Sir you have a movie that is 887 days overdue.
Me: What movie?
Clerk: Fear & Loathing In Las Vegas.
Me: Wasn't that movie just released in late 1998?
Clerk: Yes.
Me: Then how can it be 887 days overdue?
Clerk: Uh...I don't know?
Me: When did I rent it?
Clerk: According to the computer you rented it May 15, 1999.
Me: Then again.....how can it be 887 days overdue?
Clerk: I don't know?
At this point he's got the entire staff looking at it which was even funnier.
Clerk: What do you think John should we just delete it?
Clerk 2: I wouldn't. You need a supervisor to do that.
Clerk: It sounds like a bug.
Clerk 2: Yea, but you need a supervisor to do it.
Clerk: I'll just delete it.

That was the last time I rented from Blockbuster.
Old 02-06-04, 05:19 PM

Originally posted by Steve Phillips
A guy asking for THE MAN WHO WASN'T THERE in color isn't as absurd as you think. The film was shot in color, and simply released in black and white. The studio insisted they shoot in color because the Asian market would demand it.

The color version is on DVD in Region 3. I guess they were right!
Apparently not only the Asian market wants this. I live in Denmark, and I bought this DVD at the local BlockBuster. The Danish version contains 2 discs...one with color and the b/w version. First of all when I got the disc, it only contained 1 disc, and I asked the BB chick why...She just said that it was only a 1 disc set, and I asked her if she didnīt notice the big "2 disc set" writing on the cover...but I guess she didnīt. I just took the disc home, and when I wanted to play it, I had the color version....I called the store and complained and told another BB chick that I was told that it was only 1 disc, but she said that I was right...it WAS a 2 disc set...the first chick just couldnīt find the second disc...I could come in the next day to get the other disc, and so I did.

When i came in the next day I had a little discussion with the "store manager" or what the hell her title was. She asked me why on earth I wanted to view a movie in b/w when I could see it in color...and continued to say that all her customers had seen in in color, and I pointed out that it could be due to the fact that it was the only version they would get when they rented it ! She then became quite angry and told me that there was a reason for the Danish studio to release it in color...and I replied that it was only to sell the film to stupid people like her...no Danish "non-film-freaks" would have ever heard of this movie anyways...and they would certainly not have rented it if they saw it was in b/w...thats just how stupid people are...

I was almost thrown out of the store, but I got the b/w version...and just to make things better, I threw the color version on the desk before leaving
Old 02-06-04, 05:41 PM

Originally posted by TheNightFlier
I love those ads, turn the 13" TV into a 70" inch widescreen plasma.

I've only had a few "stupid" moments while shopping. Most recently when I was going to look for The Omega Man in Best Buy. Looked in the horror/sci-fi section and couldn't find it. So I ask the guy if they have it in the back or is it out of stock. The guy gives me this weird look for about 10 seconds, I thought he went into a standing coma. He snaps out of it and says, "Isn't that an adult title?" That response just made me go I told him the premise and that Heston stars in it, so he says "Ohhh THAT Omega Man."

Just another mind numbing Best Buy experience....

Maybe he thought you meant Orgasmic Man?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.