Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Land of the Lost S1 - this time we really, really, really (REALLY) mean it!

Old 01-30-04, 07:20 PM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We've heard this rumor before many times over the years - but this time Rhino seems to be committed to bringing the set out, what with Pufnstuf set.

Rhino Home Video has plans to release the original 1974 Land of the Lost on DVD this year. The 17 episodes from the first season will be packaged in a 3 disc set which could resemble Rhino's upcoming H.R. Pufnstuf set. The first season is a lock for a 2004 release, but there's also the possibility that a 2 disc season 2 set could be out before the end of the year.
Does it pan out? One can only hope. . . .
Old 01-30-04, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I barely remember that show. Is it the one in the opening credits where the boat goes over the waterfall?

If it is, that brings back classic childhood memories....
Old 01-30-04, 07:30 PM
Suspended

Yup, that would be the one.

Do these guys ring any bells:
Old 01-30-04, 07:41 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 863 Likes on 731 Posts
man i love the sleestacks!
Old 01-30-04, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Oh, yeah. Now I remember.

I don't know if I'll be picking that one up. If I do it will be just for the nostalgia factor.

Thanks for jogging my memory!
Old 01-30-04, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Help me refresh my memory. Wasn't one of the sleestacks(sp?) articulate and from the future or something? Or am I just making this up?

Edited, found it:

Q: I remember one Sleestak who was gold, what's up with him?
A: That would be Enik, my main man who wears the sporty disco vest and can speak English with the best of them. He sort of ended up in the Land of the Lost like the Marshalls, except he fell through a time doorway and got stuck with all his stupid descendants running around trying to kill him off. He came from the past, where all Sleestak were intelligent and peaceful, and was horrified to see that his descendants were violent and really unskilled marksmen.

Last edited by Alvis; 01-30-04 at 08:08 PM.
Old 01-30-04, 08:31 PM

Edited, found it:

Q: I remember one Sleestak who was gold, what's up with him?
A: That would be Enik, my main man who wears the sporty disco vest and can speak English with the best of them. He sort of ended up in the Land of the Lost like the Marshalls, except he fell through a time doorway and got stuck with all his stupid descendants running around trying to kill him off. He came from the past, where all Sleestak were intelligent and peaceful, and was horrified to see that his descendants were violent and really unskilled marksmen. [/B]

thank god for the internet - it truly has value lol! otherwise dozens, maybe even 100s of us would have been up all night trying to remember this guy (I know it got me flashing back).

psyched for this set - geeky as that is
Old 01-30-04, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think that the sleestacks were the inspiration for these guys.
Old 01-30-04, 11:59 PM

as a wee lad, I watched this every Saturday morning.....without fail!! I'm still trying to come to grips that I did the same with......Shazam!

I'll be getting this. thanks for the word.
Old 01-31-04, 12:57 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Chaka looks like Clint Howard.
Old 01-31-04, 01:15 AM

and they were always frickin' around with those pylons & crystals.
Old 01-31-04, 01:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by SPiRAL
Chaka looks like Clint Howard.
I lost a bar bet on the same observation.

Old 01-31-04, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 901 Likes on 558 Posts
Originally posted by gutwrencher
I'm still trying to come to grips that I did the same with......Shazam!

Hey! I still catch Shazam on TVLand late night on weekends (around 12:30 CST). I managed to catch a crossover episode with Isis the other night (for those who don't know...the poor man's Wonder Woman). Remember the Shazam/Isis Power Hour?

With Land of the Lost likely coming this year and Buck Rogers as well, I will be in nostalgia heaven. These are only a couple of the small handful of TV shows I would actually own (don't know if that is sad or not).
Old 02-01-04, 12:32 AM

Originally posted by brianluvdvd
Hey! I still catch Shazam on TVLand late night on weekends (around 12:30 CST). I managed to catch a crossover episode with Isis the other night (for those who don't know...the poor man's Wonder Woman). Remember the Shazam/Isis Power Hour?

yep...remember the Power Hour! and yes, I catch the big S on TVLand too!!
Old 02-01-04, 05:06 AM
Suspended

Oh man - they rerun Shazam?!? Damn, I wish I had cable. . . .
Old 02-01-04, 05:31 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

WHAAA?!

when the hell is Shazam on?
damn, i gotta go check the TV land website now.

i would love to get a boxset of Shazam and especially Isis (Joanna Cameron...yum)

doggonit. can't believe i've been missing these.
Old 02-02-04, 11:35 AM

Originally posted by ckolchak
WHAAA?!

when the hell is Shazam on?
damn, i gotta go check the TV land website now.
1.30am eastern time, late-night Fridays and Saturdays (or, technically, early-morning Saturdays and Sundays) as part of the "TV Land Kitschen" schedule.

TV Land seems to have the rights to only eight episodes. They started running them in January after a 1 1/2 year absence. They will probalby continue to run throughout February. I've heard the Kitschen schedule will be changing over to Krofft shows in March or April.

Originally posted by ckolchak
i would love to get a boxset of Shazam and especially Isis (Joanna Cameron...yum)
Shazam! is owned by Warners, so that could be a possibility. Isis (and the other live-action Filmation shows), on the other hand, is now owned by Hallmark, and certain VPs in their organisation have let it be known that they would never (paraphrased quote) "let this show disgrace the airwaves again".

I'm not making it up. Someone who posted on my Filmation board spoke with a Hallmark VP on the telephone. Go to voy.com/70166/ and read the thread "contacted Hallmark...".

By the way, if you're an Isis or Shazam! nut, you simply must check out my fan sites. I've even interviewed the lovely Ms. Cameron (and the Cap'n himself, Jackson Bostwick).

Unofficial Shazam! and Isis Appreciation Pages
Old 02-02-04, 11:51 AM
Suspended

Originally posted by mythmaker18
Shazam! is owned by Warners, so that could be a possibility. Isis (and the other live-action Filmation shows), on the other hand, is now owned by Hallmark, and certain VPs in their organisation have let it be known that they would never (paraphrased quote) "let this show disgrace the airwaves again".
I read that thread - man that is some hard core F'ed up attitude. Pity that they've got a stick up their ass like that.

Hmmm, I wonder if either Isis or Shazam are available in another region. . . . .
Old 02-02-04, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 313 Likes on 234 Posts
I wonder if they'll release Season Three as well...the one where Rick Marshall got ditched in favor of "Uncle Jack".
Old 02-03-04, 11:38 AM

Originally posted by El-Kabong
I read that thread - man that is some hard core F'ed up attitude. Pity that they've got a stick up their ass like that.

Hmmm, I wonder if either Isis or Shazam are available in another region. . . . .
Hope. Matter of fact, there weren't even any known VHS releases until a VERY rare 1984 ex-rental VHS tape (in PAL) from England turned up on eBay last month. It was released, presumably to the rental market, by a company that was a subsidiary of "World Publishing" (the people who made all those old comic book "Annuals" in England).

From what I've been able to gather, all of the live-action shows that Hallmark possesses (basically, all but Shazam) have been withdrawn from worldwide syndication since around 1997-1998 (when it finished running on the UK Sci-Fi Channel).

I don't know if Isis et. al. were withdrawn because of that VP's attitude or because of the lawsuit filed by the writers' guild. In brief (for those not familiar with the lawsuit): Hallmark hasn't been paying the live-action series' writers ANY royalties since they assumed ownership of the properties. Hallmark even lied, saying that the shows weren't in syndication. Then, a few months ago, they were shown videotaped evidence of the British transmissions, along with printed TV guides and were ordered to pay a huge settlement and stiff penalties for lying in the first place.

If they hated the shows before, this punitive action serves them right!

Besides, it seems a bit moronic to own a TV property that you are so embarrassed about that you have no intention of exploiting it. If they hate the live-action Filmation shows so bad, they should try to sell them rather that let them sit around, not earning any money.
Old 02-04-04, 04:51 PM

A while back Hallmark wanted to sell off the Filmation products, but only as a solid block. Not piecemeal. They would accept no offers any other way.

Noone wanted to bid on the whole enchilada...too many clunkers in there. Hallmark finally took the package off the auction block, and started selling He-Man VHS's to Mattel to distribute with toys for the newer version of the show. Then Time/Life started selling Fat Albert DVDs and VHSs. So anything's possible now, I guess.