Search

Marx Bros 5 Disc set coming May 4th !!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-04, 01:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i love keepcases
Old 05-02-04, 11:49 AM

Well they have this title at Best Buy? I usually get all my DVD's there and was hoping to get it there however it was not in the salsespaper. Sounds like it is gonna be a great set.
Old 05-02-04, 05:59 PM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Any deals on this one yet?

Is Amazon STL still the best price?
Old 05-04-04, 06:14 AM

Looks like The Marx Brothers Collection didn't get the best of reviews so far for quality.

http://www.dvdfile.com/software/revi...ollection.html

I was hoping that a bit of effort was going to be applied to this collection.

Cheers

Philby
Old 05-04-04, 06:32 AM

You know... for the last 8 weeks or so I have been unable to get into the DVD File Website...
Old 05-04-04, 10:11 AM
Cool New Member

Though I would have preferred a Criterion-style digital cleanup and 2-disc deluxe treatment for Opera and Races, I'm very pleased with the set as a whole.

My reviews of all 7 movies (and thus all 5 discs) appear here:

www.GrouchoReviews.com
Old 05-04-04, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Groucho's Reviews?! Uh-oh.
Old 05-08-04, 09:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In the latest Entertainment Weekly, they review the Marx Bros. set and give it an okay review. In the review, it states that Paramount is preparing to release their Marx Bros. movies later this year. Does anyone know anything about this? I have not seen any notices.
Old 05-08-04, 09:33 PM
Needs to provide a working email

Are you sure its Paramount planning to release the Marx Brothers discs, and not Universal?

Neither one are my favorite big studio DVD producers, but Paramount is a hundred times more trustworthy than Universal.
Old 05-08-04, 09:53 PM

Universal most definitely controls the rights to the early Marx Brothers' pictures (though they were originally produced by Paramount).
Old 05-08-04, 10:14 PM
Needs to provide a working email

I expected as much, FilmFan. I was hopeful.

That's a horrible shame, that Warner, the infinitely superior company, gets the inferior Marxes, and Universal, dung, owns the superior ones.

I only hope Universal does atleast as good with the Marx's, as it did with the Monster Collection.
Old 05-09-04, 05:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is what it says:

"Room Service, Go West, The Big Store, At the Circus and Casablanca all have moments that recapture the glory of the brothers' undiluted Paramount films (due later this year on DVD)...."

Sorry - it's not clear who will be releasing the films, EW was just pointing out who they were made for. But, the more significant fact, if it can be confirmed, is the re-release of these great films! Anyone else heard anything?
Old 05-09-04, 08:36 AM

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts
btw. the original four great films (duck soup, animal crackers, horse feathers, monkey business) is still available in the UK as a Universal boxset... not too expensive, but you do need a R2 Pal-NTSC player - which, btw, can be gotten as cheaply as $35 at best buy...
Old 07-01-04, 09:46 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally posted by k_lodge
Taken from USA Today:

Note to fans of the early Marx Brothers: Universal, which now owns the first five Marx Brothers Movies has no plans to relase them on DVD.
Originally posted by Neeb
I call BS. There was an article in the New York Times a few months ago where Universal was quoted saying they would release Duck Soup along with other Marz Bros movies sometime in 2004. So, there are plans...
Originally posted by cinemaman
btw. the original four great films (duck soup, animal crackers, horse feathers, monkey business) is still available in the UK as a Universal boxset... not too expensive, but you do need a R2 Pal-NTSC player - which, btw, can be gotten as cheaply as $35 at best buy...
Having seen Duck Soup, Animal Crackers, Horse Feathers, and Monkey Business for the first time, at the AFI's Silver Theatre's Marx Brothers' Revue on the large screen, I am dying to add them to my video collection, has there been any new news if and when Universal will release these titles, I might go with the import box set, but am hopeful that us Region 1 fans will have these films by the end of the year.