Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Alien Quadrilogy - What are the chances of FOX sending me a replacement disc?

Old 01-23-04, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

After receiving a set with a faulty disc 1 back in December (freezing at around the 1:09:00 and 1:10:15 marks), I decided to send the set back to DDD for an exchange. I got the replacement today - about 3 and a half weeks later - and it had the same problem. I'm getting pissed off, and I don't want to send the whole thing back to DDD again. For one, I'll probably end up getting another messed up set, and I don't want to risk getting one with a messed up case (I got lucky this time in that regard).

So should I take this up with FOX directly? If I email them, what are the chances that they will send me a replacement disc?

Also, can someone supply me with the contact information for FOX? I can't find it anywhere. Thanks.
Old 01-23-04, 09:45 PM
Banned

Sounds like a player problem...
Old 01-23-04, 09:49 PM

Considering I'm experiencing the exact problem MANY other people are having on all different brands of players, I don't think it's my player. Plus, I've played it on all three of my players (of different brands), with the same problems.
Old 01-24-04, 02:10 AM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Call Fox customer service 1-888-223-2FOX. Let us know how it goes.
Old 01-24-04, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

That doesn't make me happy since I sent my set back to DDD because of a defect on disc 8. A few weeks later a new set is on the way but I'm hoping the problem won't repeat itself.
Old 01-24-04, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Sounds like a layer change and may be in fact yours and many others DVD players. I had no problem on mine. What your brand and model?
Old 01-24-04, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

No problem on a Panasonic RP91
Old 01-24-04, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

There are a lot of players that seem to be incompatible with the quad. Just complain to FOX, and let them know what player you have... who knows, they might actually do something about it and re-issue the discs. No problems on my Toshiba SD2200.
Old 01-24-04, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

So far I have had problems with the first Alien disc not loading or playing on my Liteon 2001 and freeze ups on my Denon 2900. However the freeze ups only occur when watching the director's cut with DTS. It seems to play fine with Dolby Digital or DTS with the theatrical version of the film. I don't see the point of exchanging the disc if it's going to have the same problem. I think Fox will have to issue a new corrected disc first.
Old 01-24-04, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Caiman, is your movie freezing during that scene in Alien, where the crew is deciding at the dinner table whether or not to go follow the beacon they just picked up? and was this on the regular version of the film or the directors cut.

I haven't watched the directors cut on any of the discs yet, so I hope mine wasn't one of the defective ones.

the problem above was something I read about that disc having.
Old 01-24-04, 03:10 PM

Thanks for the phone number. I sent them an email last night, but if I don't hear back soon, I'll try calling them.

The player I am using is the SONY 360, but the disc also messes up on my Pioneer DVR-105 DVDROM drive, as well as a brand new SONY 5 disc (not sure on the model number).

Here are the specific problems I am experiencing:

In the theatrical edition of Alien (disc 1), at exactly 1:08:47, in chapter 18, the disc freezes and struggles for about 5 seconds, and then picks back up where it stopped. This is right after Dallas says "There's only one big opening along the way.." This also occurs in the DC, but at a different time - 1:08:58 of chapter 24.

Then at exactly 1:10:14, as Dallas is typing "Request evaluation of current..." on the computer, the disc freezes again, only this time it jumps ahead about 10 seconds. If I backtrack, I am able to watch the 10 seconds that I missed. This error only occurs in the theatrical, because I believe the scene is cut in the DC.

Those are the only problems I have seen, though I haven't watched the movie all the way through; I've just been testing the specific scenes where problems have been reported. I also have not tested any of the other discs (I will probably do so before sending anything back to FOX).

I think it would be a good idea to start an Official Alien Quadrilogy Problems thread, where we list all the problems everyone is having, as well as brands/models of players. That way everyone can check to be sure they don't have a deffective copy.
Old 01-25-04, 03:16 AM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

caiman, do you see any scratches or visible anomaly on the disc surface that may cause the problem? I recall many people complain about having many discs in the set literally stained with fingerprints and scratches.
Old 01-25-04, 02:48 PM

Originally posted by eau
caiman, do you see any scratches or visible anomaly on the disc surface that may cause the problem? I recall many people complain about having many discs in the set literally stained with fingerprints and scratches.
No, the disc is spotless.

This is obviously a manufacturing error.
Old 01-25-04, 02:55 PM
Banned

Its a player problem...I have no problem on either of my Panasonic's...and their 2-3 years old...
Old 01-25-04, 03:37 PM

Originally posted by QuiGonJosh
Its a player problem...I have no problem on either of my Panasonic's...and their 2-3 years old...
Then you don't have a defective copy. I have had two different copies, both with the exact problem. Don't tell me it's my player that's screwed up, because if you read my last reply to you, I said I've tried it in more than one player.

But who knows, maybe your disc IS defective and you just don't know it. Maybe it depends on what player you're using. But that only certain players experience the problem does NOT change the fact that it's a manufacturing error.
Old 01-25-04, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It really sounds like both of your players can't handle the disc. These Alien discs seem to be really temperamental, getting another copy may solve your problems, but I seriously doubt it.
Old 01-25-04, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Even if it is a player problem, itís still a manufacture problem. They screwed up somewhere in the process rendering the discs unplayable on some players.
Old 01-25-04, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by caiman
I have had two different copies, both with the exact problem. Don't tell me it's my player that's screwed up, because if you read my last reply to you, I said I've tried it in more than one player.
Why then would you start this thread by asking,

If I email them, what are the chances that they will send me a replacement disc?
Why would you want a replacement disc, if you believe the problem is a manufacturing (software) error? First Fox would have to be aware there are problems, and remaster and repress the disc. If it does that, I would imagine it willexchange the original pressing; if not, you're hosed.
Old 01-25-04, 09:56 PM

Originally posted by dave955
Why then would you start this thread by asking,

Why would you want a replacement disc, if you believe the problem is a manufacturing (software) error? First Fox would have to be aware there are problems, and remaster and repress the disc. If it does that, I would imagine it willexchange the original pressing; if not, you're hosed.
Because by saying a "manufacturing error," I mean a problem with the disc itself, and not with my player. That's not to say that I believe 100% of the sets have the problem. Since many people aren't having the problem, I assume there are some good sets out there. At least I hope anyway.
Old 01-26-04, 12:15 PM

I had this freeze/skip problem only once--on Alien 3--and I emailed Fox over a month ago and got no response. I also read somewhere that someone else called Fox and was told they don't do replacements. Oh, I have a 1999 Sony dvd player, and only had this problem that one time. But, what I did was go to Borders and ask if they'd let me just exchange the one defective disc I had, and they were willing to do it without hesitation. The replacement disc was fine and so is my Quadrilogy box, now. I don't know if all Borders would do this, or if other stores would, but it's worth a try.
Old 01-26-04, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I get several lockups on Alien and Alien Resurrection on my Denon DVD-2200 only when using the DTS track. There is something about these discs that cause problems for many players. Usually exchanging the disc doesn't help but it doesn't hurt to try. I exchanged my set (from Amazon), which I was going to do anyway since it looked like someone stepped on it and kicked it around. The new set has the same lockups in the same places.

I contacted the Product Manager at Denon and he said they are aware of the problem and are trying to find a fix. The lockups occur on the Denon 2200 and 2900 when playing the DTS tracks on Alien and Alien Resurrection. At least it plays fine in Dolby Digital for now. I'm really hoping Denon finds a fix for my player, hopefully with just a firmware upgrade.

I'm really interested in what Fox did to make these discs choke so many players. I don't know who to blame yet. I have an old Toshiba that can play the discs just fine.
Old 01-26-04, 01:51 PM
Banned

did you call them? What did they say?
Old 01-26-04, 02:54 PM

Originally posted by puddytay
did you call them? What did they say?
Since I received no reply email, I decided to call. I just got off the phone. Here is how the conversations went:

Her: Thanks for calling FOX, blah blah blah, how can I help you?

Then I explained my recurring problem, and asked, "So is it possible for you guys to send me a replacement disc?"

*long pause*

Her: "Um, we don't have replacement discs." (in a very rude tone)

*another pause*

Me: "So... is there a different number I should call, or are you saying there's no way to get a replacement disc?"

Her (still sounding very bitchy): "Sir, if you want to fix the problem you'll need to send us the whole set, and the waiting period is 6-8 weeks."

Me: "Ok, thanks. Bye."

Her: no reply.

Me: *click*

F**k her. F**k FOX. I don't even care anymore.

Last edited by caiman; 01-26-04 at 02:56 PM.
Old 01-26-04, 04:47 PM
Banned

I sent my set back just to replace a single disc. But, I made "back-up" copies before doing it. I'd suggest you do the same as there's no other way, that I know of, of getting a replacement disc...
Old 01-27-04, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Rude, bitchy people working in the entertainment industry? I am shocked!

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.