Reload this Page >

Star Wars on DVD: NOT Oringinal or SE's, info inside

Old 01-23-04, 03:25 PM

The Star Wars Trilogy
Publisher: Fox/LucasFilm
Publication Date: September is the rumored month

The Pitch: Finally, after a long, long time…

Why it's Going to Rock: After a lot of haggling, nagging, haranguing and pestering, George Lucas seems to have finally gotten the message. The original word was he would wait to do the original trilogy after the third film was released, which is in 2005. No one wanted to wait that long, and apparently, neither did Lucas.

These three films won't be the originals we saw in theaters in 1977, 1980 and 1983. Nor will they be the Special Editions released in 1997, which featured the hated scene with Greedo shooting Han Solo first. Supposedly this new version will have Han shooting first again, but a whole bunch of new effects, including the light saber fight between Obi-Wan and Darth Vader. We shall see, George, we shall see.

-- From DVD.IGN.com
Old 01-23-04, 03:28 PM

"Supposedly" and "we shall see" suggest to me that they are just regurgitating the same unconfirmed rumours we've heard before.
Old 01-23-04, 03:29 PM
Banned

Yeah, this aint news.
Old 01-23-04, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I agree -- same old rumors. I assume that dvd.ign.com writer will also say that Sebastian's face is being (supposedly) replaced with Hayden's.

Unconfirmed rumors by an uncomfirmed writers 4 months too late ....
Old 01-23-04, 03:32 PM
Retired

Just the same rumors as before. I'd love to see it as the details posted before sounded great, improved on most everything I didn't like in the OT and SE's.

But it's not more than another fanboy's wet dream in all likelihood.

I wouldn't be surprised to see this eventually, but I have a hard time believing George will get this updated set out this fall while he's working on Episode 3.

If anything like this every sees the light of day it will be after Episode 3 is done and probably after the DVD of it is out.
Old 01-23-04, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I hope he does fix the hologram commication with the Dark Sith in The ESB, it has always bugged me.

And all the other fixes GL has talked about (or someone has talked about) would be nice. This would help the movies to be more like one long movie, instead of movies that were made out of order.

He better not give us the SE and then the Updated SE later.

I love SW and I think GL has done a great job making the movies like the old B&W Movie Serials.
Old 01-23-04, 06:12 PM

Re: Star Wars on DVD: NOT Oringinal or SE's, info inside

Originally posted by Erik68
After a lot of haggling, nagging, haranguing and pestering, George Lucas seems to have finally gotten the message.

These three films won't be the originals we saw in theaters in 1977, 1980 and 1983.
It doesn’t quite sound to me as if he has "gotten the message."
Old 01-23-04, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well remember, there *was* that guy who saw the screening last year at the Egyptian who says that the lightsaber f/x for the Obi Wan/Vader fight *have* been fixed and when the blast doors close in on Vader and the stormtroopers, it's actually red now instead of white. Here's to hoping.
Old 01-23-04, 06:40 PM

I'd be surprised if the films are changed from the 1997 SE's for this DVD release. Perhaps in the future, there will be a Super SE edition or something, but I can't see how Lucasfilm (the company, not just the man) would have time for this now.
Old 01-23-04, 07:53 PM
Banned

the Han shooting first again sounds like BS...but they are in fact cleaning up the films ever more...
Old 01-23-04, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Not to threadcrap, but I think these threads are useless until we can get official details because all this is speculation. We have to get info from the Lucas camp and until then this will go on forever.
Old 01-24-04, 01:00 AM

Originally posted by Josh Hinkle

I wouldn't be surprised to see this eventually, but I have a hard time believing George will get this updated set out this fall while he's working on Episode 3.

If anything like this every sees the light of day it will be after Episode 3 is done and probably after the DVD of it is out.
Hey, who knows ---- maybe he's rolling up those flannel sleeves and putting in some OT --- like the great Peter Jackson has been doing with his Extended DVD's/Theatrical Lord of the Rings movies
Old 01-24-04, 02:17 AM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
They have this new thing now, called "employees" which means that if you have work to do you can hire someone to do that work for you and pay them money and stuff.

It's not like Lucas does the special effects himself, people. He tells them what he wants, they go do it, he approves it or tells them what he wants them to change, etc.
Old 01-24-04, 02:34 AM

Hey take it easy on the guy....

In order to rise quickly from Member to Senior Member, sometimes you gotta post a few crappy threads.

Hey I also heard a rumour that in Episode 3 the emperor will weild a Dark Saber!!

Oh yeah, wait, I started that rumour. Never mind.
Old 01-24-04, 04:06 AM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Originally posted by rushmore223
Hey take it easy on the guy....

In order to rise quickly from Member to Senior Member, sometimes you gotta post a few crappy threads.
Heh. I've noticed people posting a lot of snippets from IGN lately. I mean, if I wanted to read IGN, I'd go to IGN.com.

Word.
Old 01-24-04, 04:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i still can't believe that they didnt fix the various lightsaber boo-boos from the Obi vs Vader dual in the SE. Hopefully they will in the dvd release, whenever it comes out.

j
Old 01-24-04, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I want the original films as i saw them in the theatre,i guess it will never happen Id rather watch my VHS original trilogy with crappy quality video then the "special" editions on DVD.
Old 01-24-04, 10:37 AM
Suspended

Originally posted by astrochimp
I want the original films as i saw them in the theatre,i guess it will never happen Id rather watch my VHS original trilogy with crappy quality video then the "special" editions on DVD.
Let's not start talkin' crazy, now. Take a deep breath.

Well, this thread contains absolutely no news on the Star Wars DVD front. Just rumours and speculation.

Let's wait and see what LucasFilm says in their press release.

It wouldn't surprise me at all to find that the original trilogy releases will *not* be the version released to DVD, or even that the original films won't be released at all, but let's hear it from a press release before we get all up in arms and bent out of shape about it.
Old 01-24-04, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

When will they probably make an announcement? March? April?
Old 01-24-04, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Iron_Giant
I hope he does fix the hologram commication with the Dark Sith in The ESB, it has always bugged me.
I'm not a fanboy or abything so this made me curious: What hologram problem?
Old 01-24-04, 01:15 PM

Hologram problem...different actor playing the Emperor in Empire
Old 01-24-04, 02:17 PM
Suspended

Originally posted by rushmore223
Hologram problem...different actor playing the Emperor in Empire
Which means there isn't a problem ;-)...this is what bugs me the most about all the changes.... why can't these films be what they are? They were filmed in the 70s and 80s, they will never mesh with the prequels seamlessly. so I wish ILM would just stop it already!
Old 01-24-04, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

They were filmed in the 70s and 80s, they will never mesh with the prequels seamlessly. so I wish ILM would just stop it already!
I agree. This is a fact that Lucas, apparently, will never accept.

I suspect 10, 20, or even 30 years from now, when CGI has advanced even more, we will have see more versions of Star Wars since such art is supposed to be a 'lifetime, continuous change' (if you will) according to Lucas and other revisionists. I am very happy to know that not all filmmakers agree with this (or at least keep the original film available on the current popular home video format).

Last edited by DavidH; 01-24-04 at 02:25 PM.
Old 01-24-04, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Until there's an official press release, it's all just rumor and not worth getting worked up over IMO.
Old 01-24-04, 02:37 PM

In thirty years you will not even be able to recognize the Newest Incarnation of Star Wars and what you remember Star Wars to be from the 70's.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.