Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

More Star Wars News (4 Disk Set, SE Only)

Community
Search

More Star Wars News (4 Disk Set, SE Only)

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-04, 07:48 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well stick with your VHS...no ones making you buy this set...

but for me the Audio/Video is the most important...so I'll get this set ASAP!
Old 01-23-04, 08:13 AM
SvenL

I guess I'll have to stick with my VHS copies of the Original Original Trilogy too because there's no way I'm going to buy the (so-called) "Special" Editions.

And if that means I'll never get Star Wars on DVD then that's fine with me.

Old 01-23-04, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We waited this long for this?!?!??!
Old 01-23-04, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by QuiGonJosh

And this is just the first release...expect a 12 disc big ass set in 2006! Probably with new versions that Lucas as been working on...

What new version has Lucas been working on? Thats just wishful thinking of the Fanboys.
Old 01-23-04, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 622 Likes on 480 Posts
I've been so long without Star Wars DVD (never even had a laserdisc player) I think I can live to the end of my days without any as well. When's the last time I watched the VHS tapes anyway?

I won't be buying it. Not to boycott or make some statement. They're just not what I hoped for (though I'm not surprised) so I see no reason to buy something I don't want. So all I can say is that I'm happy for those who're getting this. Glad your wait didn't turn out as long as expected.
Old 01-23-04, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I may complain about the lack of extras and that the Original Editions won't be included, but I will still buy the trilogy on dvd because these are films that I love very dearly. I know that the films will get a wonderful transfer, and will probably have amazing sounding audio as well.

I felt the same way about the Indiana Jones set, but I don't see much point in complaining as these movies probably won't be rereleased at any point in the near future.
Old 01-23-04, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

This sucks! You can download on the net more than 1 disc’s worth of extras!!! And what’s worse it’s not the SPECIAL SE with added scenes and restored Han/Greedo shot!! While the original versions would have been the best option I’d have preferred a Special SE rather than SE.
Old 01-23-04, 08:43 AM

boycott...you guys are just retarded...why boycott a product that everyone has been waiting for for like 7 years...you knew you werent gonna get the original theatrical versions cause Lucas said so 10 years ago...it should be no suprise now...
It's called principles - there are people who really, truly believe in something and want to make a statement when they feel screwed over. And I don't blame them.

I'm a sucker so I'll buy these and just keep my LaserDiscs of the original originals and wait for a better release.

Again...if you dont want this set...dont buy it...just wait for the huge boxset in 2006...
That's precisely what they're proposing - when you boycott something, you purposely don't buy it - this isn't some novel idea you've got there.
Old 01-23-04, 08:50 AM

I wonder what the Best Buy add on disk will be.

Don't worry if you don't like the SE, this is just the first of many releases. You know the OT will come in someday.
Old 01-23-04, 08:52 AM

Then I guess you'll pass on all DVD releases of the OT...whatever...sounds like some stupid pride to me but whatever...I guess you want the original version with the bad FX and crappy wipes rather than the smooth wipes and nice new FX shots and cleaned up transfer...and Lucas said that back in 95 when he released the final set of the Original theatrical Trilogy...that that was the LAST TIME to own it! Its not like this should be new to everyone...he told you some nearly 10 years ago...

And this is just the first release...expect a 12 disc big ass set in 2006! Probably with new versions that Lucas as been working on...

And dont you people bitch about it being just a 4 disc set! You didnt wanna wait like Lucas did...for 2006 and the big boxset...so the first release is a bit sub-bar...you dont have to buy it...

What happened to all the people who said "We'll buy a barebones now and an SE later...we just want the movies on DVD" Guess those people dont exsist anymore...

I swear...if he releases a boxset now...you think he sucks...if he had waited til 2006 for a big boxset...you'd still think he sucks for the wait...god he just cant win...get over yourselves guys...

People are allowed to have their own opinions. I think the SE versions of the first three films are complete BS. I don't care if Lucas gave final warning several years about the final release of the "original" (which should be only) trilogy. I actually do not have a problem with the original effects. Warts and all that's history. Actually I think time will show that those old effects will hold up much better than this endless CGI orgy....

I'm not interested in buying the SE Trilogy on DVD. I find it insulting that I don't have the choice to buy the originals. No sale here.

Todd
Old 01-23-04, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Prediction:

In September, 95% of those of you who are whining about the lack of the OT are going to be first in line to buy this.
Old 01-23-04, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts
Originally posted by WildcatLH
Prediction:

In September, 95% of those of you who are whining about the lack of the OT are going to be first in line to buy this.
Yep. I think so as well. People hide behind an annonymous screen name on the web to talk shit, but they will be first in line during the first week of its release.
Old 01-23-04, 09:19 AM
Cool New Member

I'm more than happy with my Definitive Collection laserdiscs.

Unfortunately, if this release follows the Indy model, it'll be just in time for Christmas. And for some reason, my mom wants the special editions . . .

So I could bitch and moan, but I'll end up forking over the $50 at Best Buy (got to get that bonus disc of Ewok make-up tests) just like everybody else.

Strangely enough--my mother does understand the importance of OAR . . .
Old 01-23-04, 09:28 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Artman
No!! Theres no excuse why these cant be seperate two-disc versions. I guess they're just trying to maximize profit.

I'm curious on the figures for Indy. Did it sell over a million?
According to Video Business Online, The Adventures Of indiana Jones which was released on 21 October 2003, sold 3.3 Million units through 31 December 2003, reaping a total of $153.4 Million. This placed it as the number 5 DVD seller of the year.
Old 01-23-04, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm convinced the government setup the internet as a means to weed all the stupid people in the world.

Wasn't there some huge ass petition that went along begging like little girls "Please God please release bare bones Star Wars now and we'll buy it and we'll also buy whatever deluxe sets you have planned after 2006!!"..

Now that's exactly what they're doing and everyone is STILL whining?

Sad, sad little people.
Old 01-23-04, 10:04 AM

Originally posted by PixyJunket
I'm convinced the government setup the internet as a means to weed all the stupid people in the world.

Wasn't there some huge ass petition that went along begging like little girls "Please God please release bare bones Star Wars now and we'll buy it and we'll also buy whatever deluxe sets you have planned after 2006!!"..

Sad, sad little people.
I don't really see how this relates - there are people here who won't buy it because they want a better version, and there are people here who will buy it and every other release down the road. It's not like everyone all said they'd buy this release and all the same people are now saying they won't. Maybe it is, I don't know.
Old 01-23-04, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
hope there's gonna be at least a commentary. Mark Hamil and Carrie Fisher aren't doin anything special, invite them George.
Old 01-23-04, 10:10 AM
SvenL

Prediction: In September, 95% of those of you who are whining about the lack of the OT are going to be first in line to buy this.
While you're probably right I'll still be among the 5% who will not cave in.

The "Special Editions" are probably the worst thing anyone has ever done to any movie.

Old 01-23-04, 10:11 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Rypro 525
hope there's gonna be at least a commentary. Mark Hamil and Carrie Fisher aren't doin anything special, invite them George.
Last I heard, Mark Hamill was on Broadway, in a movie, still doing voice over work and his comic. And Carrie Fisher just released her latest novel.

By comparison, HARRISON FORD is doing nothing (but Calista) considering he doesn't even have a movie that he's working on right now.

And just a thought...this is an ANONYMOUS report on theforce.net. And you guys are getting all frustrated and bent out of shape over it? Come on now...I guess you guys don't frequent that site very often.
Old 01-23-04, 10:14 AM

Can't wait to buy and watch these on DVD.
Old 01-23-04, 10:16 AM
GCS
DVD Talk Special Edition

I personally can't understand why people keep complaining about not getting the OT as well. Lucas has said a million times the SE version is his view of how the movies should be and that the OT will not see the light of day on DVD. How many times does the man have to say this before people will listen??

I am bummed we won't have the OT either and yes I did sign the petition for it but personally I am just happy as hell to get it on DVD period!

I do agree that in a few years there will be a massively redone MEGA SET of some sort, just to make more $$$.

Lucas is gonna milk this for all its worth, that you can count on!

Greg
Old 01-23-04, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

i'm buying.

I actually like the SEs more than the OT.
Old 01-23-04, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 479 Likes on 351 Posts
I wish that Lucas would see that the fans want BOTH versions of the original trilogy and do the DVD's like the Alien set. The original movies were great - and the effects and editing were fantastic for the time.

At least I've still got my LaserDiscs of the original trilogy, and will be able to burn my own DVD's from them if Lucas sticks to his statement that he will never again release the original versions of those movies.
Old 01-23-04, 10:31 AM

If they clean it up like Indiana Jones (since that is their model) then I'll be perfectly happy. The Indiana Jones quality (especially on a very nice large display) is fantastic.
Old 01-23-04, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by PixyJunket

Sad, sad little people.

Too funny.

I can't wait for this release, and I'll be the first in line regardless of whether or not these are the special editions or not. We begged and pleaded for something, and now, lo and behold we're getting something...

As said before, George Lucas told everyone that the original trilogy would probably never be released on the format, so it's silly for so many people to have had their hopes up. If nothing else, wait until after Episode 3 has finished its theatrical run, and then perhaps we'll see a super-duper box set. Until then, if the SE's are the way to get the best possible sound/picture, I'm all over them.

If you're THAT upset about it, go onto EBAY, buy a laserdisc player and the original trilogy THX remastered editions... you'll pay about the same price as you would a super box set and still be getting a great picture and sound... you may even pick up a few other laserdisc releases that were 'done right' unlike their DVD counterparts in your mind.

All I can say is, I've owned a DVD player since 1998(?) and I've been waiting since that day to get my hands on the Star Wars Trilogy. I'm just excited to get something.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.