More Star Wars News (4 Disk Set, SE Only)

Old 01-23-04, 01:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

More Star Wars News (4 Disk Set, SE Only)

Please don't flame me I am just posting this from TheForce.Net

In November 2004 we'll see the Original Trilogy on DVD! There probably won't be any added scenes, simply the 3 Special Edition films along with with a bonus 4th disk. Basically they're going to take the Indy trilogy to use as a model.
Also included will be Episode 3 teaser material!

The Indy boxed set just became the best selling boxed set ever. They expect SW to take that title, later this year. No news of any 6 DVD boxed sets or the classic versions of the film.

Last edited by chanster; 01-23-04 at 01:42 AM.
Old 01-23-04, 01:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

No!! Theres no excuse why these cant be seperate two-disc versions. I guess they're just trying to maximize profit.

I'm curious on the figures for Indy. Did it sell over a million?
Old 01-23-04, 01:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'll pass if it is only the SE of the movies...
Old 01-23-04, 02:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Although good to have, the Indy Trilogy wasnt exactly the greatest dvd produced.

I wish they would use the Alien Quadrilogy as a model instead and include both versions and lots of extras.

Guess Lucas doesnt want to give away too much, after all im sure this will be released again and again......and again...........
Old 01-23-04, 02:53 AM

2 disk per movie and a bonus disk to round things up is ideal. Like Alien Quadrilogy (best box set in my opinion)
Old 01-23-04, 03:48 AM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I hope they would use keepcases in a boxed set like the Indy set instead of a digipack like the Alien Quadrilogy. Keepcases would look more seamless with the Episodes I and II DVDs.
Old 01-23-04, 03:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Great. We've been waiting all this time with Lucas going on about 'wanting to do it right', and this is what we end up with? Bastard.
Old 01-23-04, 04:09 AM

Originally posted by Panda Phil
Great. We've been waiting all this time with Lucas going on about 'wanting to do it right', and this is what we end up with? Bastard.
Amen to that, Panda. Very uncool to string fans along like that then deliver what is more than likely subpar material. 5 years after dvd's inception, i might add. Well, i guess the only place to go from here is up...and here's hoping for a better release...someday.
Old 01-23-04, 04:15 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by groovrbaby
Amen to that, Panda. Very uncool to string fans along like that then deliver what is more than likely subpar material.
How, exactly, did he string fans along? He has barely ever said a word about the subject, and the little bit he did say would be coming to fruition if this is what the set will really look like. There are no unfulfilled promises here, no false intimations of greater things. He did exactly the opposite of stringing anyone along. Fans strung themselves along. That the same fans are now angry at Lucas for their own actions just proves that Lucas is used as a scapegoat for everything, regardless of what he does.

DJ

Last edited by djtoell; 01-23-04 at 04:29 AM.
Old 01-23-04, 04:59 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Funny all the complaining and regardless, it will still sell like hot cakes.

If anything, Lucas said that there wouldn't be any dvd till 2006 when all the films are out, now with it showing up in late 2004 you guys are complaining? eh. can't please everyone. I'll buy them without the luca$ ba$hing.

Much like the VHS, it is your bad if you don't EXPECT reissues of this series to pop up in slightly better forms.

Just like when a new VHS set showed up, this is mainly to promote the up and coming theater release. Buy or Buy not, there is no reason to complain.
Old 01-23-04, 05:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah...quit whining...if you don't like what they release, DON'T BUY IT when it comes out! I thought the Indiana Jones set was one of the best releases of the year...I agree the Alien Quadilogy was better, but that's something LucasFilm will probably do 10 years down the road - all six movies in one big set.
Old 01-23-04, 06:22 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Yup. without any doubt, I'm sure the big box set of all six will come out eventually. Don't like it? Don't buy it.
Old 01-23-04, 07:02 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I am ok with this. I don't like the other movies anyway, so this works for me. I would like max. extras mind you, but yeah, nothing keeps me from this set.
Old 01-23-04, 07:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
Funny all the complaining and regardless, it will still sell like hot cakes.

If anything, Lucas said that there wouldn't be any dvd till 2006 when all the films are out, now with it showing up in late 2004 you guys are complaining? eh. can't please everyone. I'll buy them without the luca$ ba$hing.

Much like the VHS, it is your bad if you don't EXPECT reissues of this series to pop up in slightly better forms.

Just like when a new VHS set showed up, this is mainly to promote the up and coming theater release. Buy or Buy not, there is no reason to complain.
Agreed. I'll buy the set even without the Bonus Disc.
Old 01-23-04, 07:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It figures!

I might as well just stick with my VHS copies if the only thing extra is going to be a better picture and 5.1.

The 4th disk will probably just contain From Star Wars to Jedi: The Making of a Saga, which I already have!
Old 01-23-04, 07:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'll be in line for buying the set myself
Old 01-23-04, 07:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm just as big as a Star Wars nut as the next, but I really wish there was some way we could get EVERYONE to boycott this set until we get the DVDs we want. I'd just love for once to get the point across to Lucas.

Yet, I'll probably be buying it the first day because everyone else will.
Old 01-23-04, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

This set will hold me off until the BIG release down the road. No complaints here. This was pretty much what I expected so this is no real surprise to me... don't know why others were expecting much more.

To me, this is his way of appeasing fans who are clamoring for the movies on DVD. Once he's done with Ep III, he'll have time to sit down and work on the details for a really special release.

At least, if I was in his shoes, this is what I'd do. But I would also let people know that I'm working on a nicer bigger release. I don't think that would keep most people from getting the first release.
Old 01-23-04, 08:07 AM
Banned

Originally posted by d2cheer
I'll pass if it is only the SE of the movies...
Then I guess you'll pass on all DVD releases of the OT...whatever...sounds like some stupid pride to me but whatever...I guess you want the original version with the bad FX and crappy wipes rather than the smooth wipes and nice new FX shots and cleaned up transfer...and Lucas said that back in 95 when he released the final set of the Original theatrical Trilogy...that that was the LAST TIME to own it! Its not like this should be new to everyone...he told you some nearly 10 years ago...

And this is just the first release...expect a 12 disc big ass set in 2006! Probably with new versions that Lucas as been working on...

And dont you people bitch about it being just a 4 disc set! You didnt wanna wait like Lucas did...for 2006 and the big boxset...so the first release is a bit sub-bar...you dont have to buy it...

What happened to all the people who said "We'll buy a barebones now and an SE later...we just want the movies on DVD" Guess those people dont exsist anymore...

I swear...if he releases a boxset now...you think he sucks...if he had waited til 2006 for a big boxset...you'd still think he sucks for the wait...god he just cant win...get over yourselves guys...

Last edited by QuiGonJosh; 01-23-04 at 08:09 AM.
Old 01-23-04, 08:25 AM

Not really how I wanted these movies to be released or the versions of them. True, I'd like it the way the Alien set was done, but I'm still going to buy this. Yep, I'm excited.
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Dear Lord, please don't let me die before I see a complete, restored version of the deleted scene between Luke and Biggs on Tatooine. I wanted to see it when the Star Wars SE came out 7 years ago, and now I'm still hoping to see it as a deleted scene on the DVD release. But I wouldn't be surprised if Snowmaker is right about the 4th disc being "From Star Wars to Jedi: The Making of a Saga."

You can't tell me Lucas doesn't torture his fans on purpose. Remember the original home video release of Episode I? For those that forget, here is a refresher - IT WAS VHS ONLY!

Snowmaker - be strong man. I'll boycott with you. I know this Deluxe Greedo Shoots First Edition will sell big, but I would get a certain sense of satisfaction if it doesn't sell as well as expected.
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I hope this Forcenet comment is true.

I would be happy with the SE's (even though I would prefer the originals). I was getting scared of the fanboy dream revisions that were going around (Putting Hayden's face on Anakin in Return of the Jedi, etc.). I can live with the '97 SEs.
Old 01-23-04, 08:28 AM

Give me nice, sharp anamorphic widescreen transfers with DD5.1 tracks that blow my socks off and a bonus disc of extras and I'll be a happy camper this year. I would like to see the original theatrical releases on DVD but this is not going to prevent me from buying the SE's in the best possible home presentation/format we've ever seen. This set will more than hold me over until we get the rumored mega-box set/ultimate editions in 2 or 3 years. November can't get here soon enough. Just my take.
Old 01-23-04, 08:29 AM
Banned

boycott...you guys are just retarded...why boycott a product that everyone has been waiting for for like 7 years...you knew you werent gonna get the original theatrical versions cause Lucas said so 10 years ago...it should be no suprise now...

Again...if you dont want this set...dont buy it...just wait for the huge boxset in 2006...
Old 01-23-04, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well excuse me for getting my expectations up, especially for such a major film.

Like someone suggested above. If it's going to just be the movies, I might as well stick with the VHS version. It's not so much a boycott per se, it's just that I've seen the movies so many times over the years that I'm honestly kinda bored with them. At this point I'm more interested in the behind the scenes stories. Making of documentaries, deleted scenes, poster and production art galleries, etc.

Last edited by Panda Phil; 01-23-04 at 07:18 PM.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.