dvd expertise needed

Old 01-22-04, 10:41 PM
Banned

dvd expertise needed

Well I just shelled out 25 bucks for the Wilco - I Am Trying to Break Your Heart documentary. Problem is, when the video plays, the sides (and possibly the top and bottom, I'm not sure) are cut off by about 6 inches on each side. I'm somewhat new to DVD formatting, but the box says its widescreen and 1.85:1 anamorphic transfer. So should I return the defective DVD? Or is there an option that I'm missing somewhere. Thanks, Mike

edit: I can tell it's cut off because pieces of text (people's names, song titles, etc) that are on the edge of the screen are sliced in half.

Last edited by CUBuffsMike41; 01-22-04 at 10:47 PM.
Old 01-22-04, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Did you accidently press the ZOOM button?
Old 01-22-04, 10:55 PM
Banned

Originally posted by vivarey
Did you accidently press the ZOOM button?
Just checked that, and no, I didn't. It says "ZOOM OFF." I also played it on a friend's DVD player and it did the same thing.

Last edited by CUBuffsMike41; 01-22-04 at 10:58 PM.
Old 01-22-04, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

If you have a standard 4x3 television, double-check your DVD player's video set-up. It should be set for "4x3 Letterbox" instead of "4x3 Pan & Scan."

DJ
Old 01-22-04, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hmm... it could be a mis-framed transfer. But if it really is 6" on each side, that's a pretty major screw-up. I can't help but think it has something to do with your setup.
Old 01-22-04, 11:07 PM
Banned

Originally posted by djtoell
If you have a standard 4x3 television, double-check your DVD player's video set-up. It should be set for "4x3 Letterbox" instead of "4x3 Pan & Scan."

DJ
That did it. Thanks a ton...you were right vivarey. Now should I just leave it like that? Or do you change it for certain formats of DVD? Caus I have a bunch of other DVD's and never had that problem (or I probably just didn't notice it).
Old 01-22-04, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by CUBuffsMike41
That did it. Thanks a ton...you were right vivarey. Now should I just leave it like that? Or do you change it for certain formats of DVD? Caus I have a bunch of other DVD's and never had that problem (or I probably just didn't notice it).
Leave it the way you have it now. You have probably never noticed it before because it will only affect a disc if it has certain "flags". It sounds like this disc is one of the rare ones that uses on-the-fly pan-and-scan.