Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Any word on the timetable for all the ST: Voyager sets to be released?

Community
Search

Any word on the timetable for all the ST: Voyager sets to be released?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-04, 01:08 PM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Admiral7,

You need to lighten up. He is doing us a favor by posting on the forums, perhaps because he likes the community here. If you want to talk to Martin Blythe directly, without the posts of other members, shoot him an e-mail or something. But since you're posting on a forum, everyone has just as much of a right to participate in the discussion as you.
Old 03-16-04, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think it's funny that Admiral7 claimed in his first post that he had bought all four seasons when three of the four haven't even come out yet! He's such a good complainer, he's complaining about things that haven't yet happened. Quite efficient that way.

Watching him be a jerk time after time to people who are repeatedly just trying to help him (and politely so, I might add) just makes it even funnier. He needs to lighten up, and everybody that's trying to help him should lighten up and just laugh at him instead. It's way easier.

I mean, come on guys ... he said somebody else's post was "interference". That's comic gold right there.
Old 03-16-04, 05:19 PM

Well, since I was talking to Mr. Blythe and NOT you, I find your opinion far from humble and your interference unproductive.
Old 03-16-04, 08:49 PM

Static,

Please explain to me exactly WHAT favor Mr. Blythe has done anyone by posting in these forums, since he is usually rather devoid of information, and certainly never seems to have any that can't be found everywhere else.

ThatGuamGuy,

If you wanna call me out, then at least READ and be accurate in your statements. I didn't say I had bought the first four seasons. I said, quite specifically, that I WILL HAVE BOUGHT the first four seasons, and that Paramount owes it to those fans who do to put out the entire season, since most people who purchase Voyager are doing it to complete the Star Trek collection anyway.
Old 03-16-04, 09:56 PM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
How do we know that Martin Blythe is actually associated with Paramount? His postings in some other threads were bogus and contradicted Paramount's own press releases.

In any case, it's highly likely that Paramount will release the entire series before the year is out, in their 65% higher pricing than many other TV series on DVD.

I mean, Alias and 24 are both readily available for $40-45 (about 60% less than the Star Trek series sets) and they contain more extras. I guess the difference is that Star Trek is a niche market, so they figure they can (or NEED TO) charge more for each of them, since they'll sell fewer copies.

I'll wait for the price to drop. And if it doesn't - I'll wait for the next format. By that time a new regime will have taken over at Paramount and everyone responsible for these releases will be gone.
Old 03-17-04, 10:19 AM

True, jough,

I do know that Martin Blythe works at Paramount, because I called Paramount one day and the automated system said to name the party I was trying to reach. So, just to see if he really worked there, I said, "Martin Blythe." And sure enough, the automated system said, "Transferring you to . . . Martin Blythe." Well, I had nothing really to say to him, so I just hung up. So he does work there, but what he actually does there I really don't know. But you're definitely right about the fact his postings have been fairly bogus and, IMO, nothing you couldn't find anywhere else (on the occassions that he was correct).
Old 03-17-04, 11:50 AM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Maybe he just answers the phone, gets coffee, etc.
Old 03-17-04, 12:20 PM

I do know that Martin Blythe works at Paramount, because I called Paramount one day and the automated system said to name the party I was trying to reach. So, just to see if he really worked there, I said, "Martin Blythe." And sure enough, the automated system said, "Transferring you to . . . Martin Blythe." Well, I had nothing really to say to him, so I just hung up
Why don't you call him again & repeat this quote:
Martin,

Is there any particular reason why nothing has been set firm beyond Season 4? Is Paramount not committed to putting out the entire series? Are they waiting to see how sales do for the first four seasons first. I can tell that will infuriate the fans like me who will have spent hard-earned money on the first four seasons, only to not be able to complete the collection.

Also charging the same amount of money for Season 1, a substantially abbreviated season, is really unfair and uncalled for. So if they're going to do that, Paramount certainly owes it to the fans they robbed with Season One to actually put out the entire series.
I'm sure we all would be interested in Mr Blythe's response.

P.S.
On the other hand, why don't you list the phone number in your response to my post here & I'll call him. But I won't be repeating your quote from above. Thank you.

Last edited by Dragonslayer; 03-17-04 at 12:26 PM.
Old 03-17-04, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Admiral7
Well, I had nothing really to say to him, so I just hung up.
Good call. It's much easier to be rude to the guy on an anonomous message board that to actually speak to him politely live.
Old 03-17-04, 01:30 PM

I'm hoping that at some point we will get an updated schedule for the rest of the sets, meaning that they are selling well enough to do all 7 seasons. I'll continue to buy them.
Old 03-17-04, 01:36 PM

bboisvert,

If you were a studio exec, would you want to answer all the calls of people posting in online forum threads? Besides, when I called before, it was a month or two ago and had nothing to do with this Voyager thread. I just heard everyone worshiping Martin Blythe and thought I'd check to see if he even worked at Paramount since -- once again -- he never answers real questions here and never posts any information that can't be found elsewhere.

Dragonslayer,

You can do exactly what I did and call information for either Burbank or Culver City and ask for the number to Paramount pictures. Once you've gotten the number you can call Paramount and allow either an operator or an automated system to transfer you to Martin Blythe.
Old 03-17-04, 01:52 PM

If you were a studio exec, would you want to answer all the calls of people posting in online forum threads?
I am just speaking for myself here. If I had a job like Mr Blythe's I would do my best to answer questions to the best of my ability to do so, considering the policies of the Studio that I was working for. I'd do it online as that would allow me to reach the most people at once.

Good call. It's much easier to be rude to the guy on an anonomous message board that to actually speak to him politely live.
Exactly! IMO I seriously doubt that a rude phone call will be made.
Old 03-17-04, 02:36 PM

Dragonslayer,

If you did all the stuff you say you would do as a studio exec, then it would be far more than Mr. Blythe has done.
Old 03-17-04, 04:57 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I can't imagine them not releasing all sets. If they didn't, they'd be shooting themselves in the foot.
The way I see it, if DS9 got released and sold well, I'm sure Voyager will be fine.
Old 03-17-04, 05:08 PM

Fok, you're probably right, but DS9 was a far superior to series to Voyager. The point is really, why would the studio even hold off on release information for the final three seasons of the series? Why have the entire year planned in advance for TNG and DS9 and then be coy about Voyager?
Old 03-17-04, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Static,

Please explain to me exactly WHAT favor Mr. Blythe has done anyone by posting in these forums, since he is usually rather devoid of information, and certainly never seems to have any that can't be found everywhere else.
I actually agree with this statement 100%. All I see this guy posting info we can find anywhere else. I could care less if this guy keeps coming to this forum or not. If anybody can point to one instance where Mr. Bltyhe had anything worth while to tell us please point it out to me, because I've never seen it posted in this forum.
Old 03-18-04, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm sure nowhere in Mr. Blythe's job description does it say "placate internet message board fanboys"

I'd much rather he work on getting us the best possible DVD releases than to answer to the whims of you two knuckleheads.

If his information is so useless, why are you continuing this pointless bashing ?
Old 03-18-04, 01:45 PM
Suspended

I'm not sure Blythe has any input whatsoever on actually making any DVDs. He's in the marketing department, so he can really only promote titles already produced or in production, and probably has his hands tied as to what he can post in a public forum.

Basically, when Paramount wants to release some info, they'll put out a press release. Since their reps can't talk about anything that hasn't already been mentioned in a press release, expecting their reps to provide useful information is pointless.
Old 03-26-04, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Martin,

Is there any particular reason why nothing has been set firm beyond Season 4? Is Paramount not committed to putting out the entire series? Are they waiting to see how sales do for the first four seasons first. I can tell that will infuriate the fans like me who will have spent hard-earned money on the first four seasons, only to not be able to complete the collection.

Also charging the same amount of money for Season 1, a substantially abbreviated season, is really unfair and uncalled for. So if they're going to do that, Paramount certainly owes it to the fans they robbed with Season One to actually put out the entire series.
It's probably because they havent decided how everything is going to be released in the fall. After August we're supposed to get 3 more seasons of Voyager, all 3 seasons of TOS, and Star Trek: Generations (2-disc) and maybe even Star Trek: First Contact (2-disc) at the beginning of next year. So there's just a crapload they have to organize and figure out how to promote.