Reload this Page >

NEW Top 100 DVD Census (2004 Edition)

Community
Search

NEW Top 100 DVD Census (2004 Edition)

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-04, 12:05 PM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It is too late. And since we're keeping with the rules and traditions established in the previous three lists, television sets are eligible.

More lists, please.
Old 01-12-04, 02:03 PM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
*** ALL LISTS HAVE BEEN TALLIED ***

We're up to 181 discs on the list so far.

We still need more lists and more comments on your choices, please! We'll feature them in the big list.
Old 01-12-04, 04:42 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by jough

We still need more lists and more comments on your choices, please! We'll feature them in the big list.
As requested here are my comments on my choices. Please don't count my comments as a second vote.

1) Brazil - Criterion (Loads of extras and NO FAT!!! Every feature is worth watching and worth revisiting. I find the LOTR EE's to be "bloated" with content. Just scratching the surface takes two hours. Also, with 10 years behind them the Brazil participants can place the film in a context; something that many new releases of very recent films are incapable of doing. Nothing beats a SE with a little perspective )

2) Fantasia Anthology- Box Set (I would vote for Snow White, but of all the Disney releases, this thing is just soooo loaded and it doesn't have Barbara Streisand ruining it. The documentary firmly establishes the films pedigree as one of the most important and influential technical landmarks in film history. The recreation of the original roadshow version is essential)

3) Grand Illusion - Criterion (One of the all time masterpieces of Cinema, perhaps the best film ever, this Criterion disc illustrates, more than any other title, the important film restoration work that's being carried out all around the world in the name of creating the best DVD transfers from original camera ellements. The story of Grand Illusion's negative is as fascinating as the film)

4) Tron - 2 disc (The supplements rule, and this movie rules)

5) Vertigo- (Magnificent restoration of Hitch's best film has a splendid doc and THE BEST AUDIO COMMENTARY EVER...PERIOD)

6) Citizen Kane- (Great Ebert commentary and THE BEST DOCUMENTARY ABOUT A FILM EVER...PERIOD)

7) The Red Shoes - Criterion (I love Powell&Pressberger and all their CC discs are fabulous, but this is the most magical and Scorsese's comments are essential)

8) Solaris (1972) - Criterion (The best looking film available on DVD from my favorite director)

9) The Last Temptation of Christ - Criterion (Of all of my favorite living director's DVDs this one has the most supplements and insight. If only all his films could be issued with these kinds of supplements)

10)Raiders of the Lost Ark (Because it OWNES!!!1)

Last edited by Pants; 01-12-04 at 04:45 PM.
Old 01-12-04, 05:34 PM

1. LOTR Fellowship EE - great movie amazing vid/aud quality - part two is also great, but didnt really improve on the first EE in my opinion and didnt want to clog up my list with both releases

2 Black Hawk Down 3 disc - great movie with great dvd quality - best documentaries i have seen - worth their own dvd - has the "advantage" of being based on reality which provides for more interesting dvd special features

3 Pulp Fiction - best movie of the past 10 years finally gets a great release with lots of great special features - documentary, interviews, deleted scenes

4 Jaws - my favorite movie released on dvd - looks and sounds great, plus a great documentary, deleted scenes and outtakes

5 Fight Club - great movie, great dvd - legendary in the brief history of dvd

6 American Beauty - best movie of the past 5 years - great picture and sound, documentary and commentary

7 Seven - great movie, great special features including interesting alternate ending

8 Minority Report - very underrated movie, great sound and video, cool special features

9 Requiem for a dream - amazing movie, haunting score sounds great on dvd, commentaries, documentary, and deleted scenes all on one great disc

10 Almost Famous bootleg cut - director's cut makes a very good movie even better - great sound and picture

I excluded box sets (of more than one movie) because i feel that is comparing apples and oranges (as is the inclusion of television shows IMO)

Last edited by coop22; 01-12-04 at 05:53 PM.
Old 01-12-04, 08:32 PM
Cool New Member

No particular order (b/c I haven't gotten around to all the extras on every disc):

1. Citizen Kane SE
2. Almost Famous - Bootleg
3. Lord of the Rings - FOTR EE (the EE's are like a franchise release, so I won't mention TT here but both are exceptional).
4. Indiana Jones Trilogy
5. Se7en Platinum Edition
6. Rashomon: Criterion
7. Alien Quadrilogy (I definitely don't have time to get through all of these yet)
8. Casablanca SE
9. Toy Story: Ultimate Toy Box
10. Fight Club: 2-disc

Note: I have about 30 titles I could think of worthy of an 11th spot.
Old 01-12-04, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

1. Brazil: Criterion Collection: Criterion has reinvented and reestablished this as the lost classic it is, thanks to restoring Gilliam's cut in a brillant transfer. The companion studio cut, or how not to make a film and the great documenation of the Gilliam-Studio missives on the bonus disc are priceless. And you can't go wrong with Gilliam's commentary. It's a shame it costs so much, more people should see this.
2. Spartacus: Criterion Collection: Essential to any Kubrick fan, in so much as understanding how his later career was forged in this babtism by fire. Proper OAR and unedited cut reveal a film on the cutting edge in it's day and still very watchable and enjoyable. The combo reconstruction Dalton Trombo's words is a must listen to any know who knows or wants to learn about writing film.
3. The Passion of Joan of Arc: Criterion Collection: Criterion does a brillant job restoring, representing and keeping the flame alive(no pun intended) of one of the most influential films of all time. Phenonmenal document of one of film's quantum leaps. Not a popcorn movie, but still compelling 70 years later.
4. Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas: Criterion Collection: Perhaps some bias here, but what an upgrade this was over the barebones verision, going from nothing to nirvana. 3 brillant and fun commentaries, but radically different and some of the best extras ever compiled, bar none.
5. Ric Flair, the Complete History: THE definitive wrestling, and probably sports DVD so far. Great mix of extras, interviews and matches, and if you give you self a chance to watch it all the way through, by the time he's wrestling Triple H, the narrative is so strong you may well shed a tear or two. Pretty remarkable for a Wrestling DVD.
6. Fight Club 2 disc: The protype SE DVD. Still the best use of the technology and a picture perfect melding of technology and film to create a very special DVD. Enough extras to keep you busy for a week.
7. The Grand Illusion: Criterion Collection: Much like Joan of Arc, simply brillant for bringing to the masses what was thought to be a "lost" classic to the fires of WWII. Vastly underrated film, far superior IMO to Renior's The Rules of the Game, which has spent the last 10 years routinely being ranked only behind Kane in the annals of cinema history. Great extras for a 60 year old release, and the ship that launched the Criterion DVD fleet. You couldn't have a better number 1 spine.
8. Pulp Fiction(2002? SE)A great movie gets a vastly improved transfer and a awesome grouping of extras. Only the lack of Tarantino commentary keeps it out of the top 3.
9. The Godfather Collection: Collection could have been better on the whole, including transfer, and the commentaries on 1 and 2 are let downs to me(3 was brillant though) but in the end, we waited so long for this and few have topped the scope and power of this release.
10. Citizen Kane: SE: Barely nudging out Almost Famous Untitled, the greatest film ever, with the greatest non-Gilliam commentaries ever(by Bogdonovich and Ebert) and a nice companion set of extras to define and put into perspective what all the hype is about.

Last edited by The Nature Boy; 01-12-04 at 11:55 PM.
Old 01-13-04, 01:20 AM
Cool New Member

bump up the jam, bump it up.
Old 01-13-04, 04:16 AM

01. Fight Club (2-Disc)
02. Dark City
03. Disney's Emperor's New Groove CE
04. Indiana Jones Trilogy
05. Disney's Sleeping Beauty SE
06. Citizen Kane SE
07. Finding Nemo
08. Donnie Darko
09. Goonies
10. Halloween LE
Old 01-13-04, 08:09 AM

1) Three Colors Trilogy – Fantastic films, lots of informative extras
2) Superman: The Movie – Fun film with, again, informative extras
3) Citizen Kane – Great presentation, restoration, supplements. And it’s Rosebud.
4) Charade (Criterion) – A fun film with a great commentary
5) To Kill a Mockingbird – Powerful movie with solid extras (including the great documentary)
6) 12 Monkeys (Special Edition) – A solid movie made better by its supplements.
7) Decalogue – Evocative and fascinating. Weak audio/video and supplements lower it on the list.
8) Carl Sagan's Cosmos – The most entertaining and informative purchase I’ve made
9) Say Anything – Wonderful little movie with supplements support from all key players.
10) Wild Strawberries (Criterion) – A favorite movie and a superb, long interview with Bergman.
Old 01-13-04, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Does this mean there are 81 that won't make The Final List?

As for those that aren't numbered, I have a suggestion albeit time-consuming. Why don't you average the DVD's rank with other people's list and count the result as the final one? Did that make sense? Ok, basically if let's say, American Beauty appears as #4, 5 and 7 mostly on other people's lists, just add up its scores (7+5+4), divide it by how many people voted for it(3) and where it ends up, let's say #5, add another 5 points to it in the final ranking. Sorry, my brain's still asleep.
Old 01-13-04, 12:55 PM
Suspended

I'll be listing every title that people included on a separate list, along with how many points and how many total votes it received (since I'm keeping track).

You can do any math you'd like with the resulting data.

The list won't be statistically valid until we get at least 200 responses.

I'd post a request elsewhere, but I don't know how I feel about joining a board for the sole purpose of asking people to contribute to our poll.

If anyone posts a lot at the HTF or elsewhere, e-mail me if you're interested in starting a thread there to gather more votes from the "dvd viewing community."
Old 01-13-04, 06:11 PM
Cool New Member

bumpy bumpy bump bump bump.
Old 01-13-04, 06:30 PM
Banned

How is it that we have 10,000 members who love DVD, yet we're having trouble finding 200 people to name their top ten?

Are they too busy discussing "what's your favorite theme song played under the titles that doesn't feature the title of the film?" (The answer of course being Heartbeat from the film Manhunter...but I digress)
Old 01-13-04, 06:36 PM

My top ten:

1. FOTR EE
2. TTT EE
3. Indiana Jones Trilogy
4. Ultimate Toy Box
5. Se7en PS
6. Fight Club SE
8. Adventures of Robin Hood SE
9. Casablanca SE
10. Simpsons Season 3
Old 01-13-04, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

1. True Romance SE
2. Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas: CC
3. Band of Brothers
4. Indiana Jones Trilogy
5. Pearl Harbor Vista Series
6. Black Hawk Down SE
7. Casablanca SE
8. The Abyss SE
9. The Thing CE
10. Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
Old 01-13-04, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

1) Twin Peaks Season 1 - a beauty of a DVD set, artfully done.
2) Matrix - Set the standard and packed an amazing amount in a single disk
3) Brazil Criterion - An amazing movie that had an amazing journey. Handled and showcased impeccably
4) Fight Club - Stunning in its depth, raised the bar for what special editions can be.
5) American Beauty - A wonderful film with great insight into filmmaking
6) Lord of The Rings: Fellowship of the Ring EE (or Two Towers really) - Took the technology and gave the fans what they wanted.
7) Toy Story: Ultimate Toy Box - Easily the best movie/sequel packages that comes to mind.
8) Snow White - Wonderful restoration, wonderful package and presentation.
9) True Romance: Unrated Director's Cut Special Edition - a blind buy for me and a wonderful treat and insight into this gleeful Post-Pubescent fantasy whirlwind.
10) Firefly: The Complete Series - This was forced on me by a dear friend and what a surprise I was in for - Delight and Despair wrapped in a 4 disk box. The palpable sense of care and loss that emanates from all involved in the show makes this a top 10 entry alone. The death of this show is one of the many tragedies of modern TV Programming.
Old 01-13-04, 08:20 PM

1. Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas
2. Fight Club
3. The Last Waltz
4. Naked Lunch
5. The Last Temptation of Christ
6. Brazil
7. The Red Shoes
8. The Boondock Saints
9. LOTR: FOTR
10. LOTR: TTT
Old 01-13-04, 11:21 PM

1.) Brazil: Criterion Collection
2.) Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers (Extended Edition)
3.) Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring (Extended Edition)
4.) Alien Quadrilogy
5.) Band of Brothers
6.) Adventures of Indiana Jones
7.) Fight Club (Original 2-Disc)
8.) Léon: The Professional (International Version)
9.) Akira (Limited Edition Tin)
10.) Tombstone (Vista Series Director's Cut)
Old 01-14-04, 12:10 AM
Suspended

Babylon 5 Quote - "To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield."
That's actually the last line of Tennyson's poem "Ulysses."

[/poetrygeek]
Old 01-14-04, 07:17 AM

That's actually the last line of Tennyson's poem "Ulysses."

[/poetrygeek]
http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...50#post3521450

Old 01-14-04, 04:44 PM
Suspended

And yet, you still attribute it to B5.
Old 01-14-04, 05:33 PM

And yet, you still attribute it to B5.
I think I've had to explain this ten times already. &nbsp Yes, it's from Ulysses, by Lord Alfred Tennyson. &nbsp It's also from the Babylon 5 episode "The Gathering", by J. Michael Straczynski.

"Plain old human stubbornness, I guess. When something we value is destroyed, we rebuild it. If it's destroyed again we rebuild it again. And again, and again, and again. Until it stays. That, as our poet Tennyson once said, is the goal, 'To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.'" - Commander Sinclair
You'll find Tennyson throughout the entire B5 series. &nbsp
Old 01-14-04, 09:40 PM
Cool New Member

BUMP!
Old 01-14-04, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

1. Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas ~ Criterion
2. Starship Troopers ~ Superbit
3. Blue Velvet : SE
4. Fight Club : 2 Disc
5. Boogie Nights : 2 Disc
6. Brazil ~ Criterion
7. This is Spinal Tap ~ Criterion
8. Buffy : Season 2
9. Monty Python's Flying Circus Collection
10. Pulp Fiction : 2 Disc
Old 01-15-04, 01:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

1.Band of Brothers
2.Alien Quad
3.LotR:FotR EE
4.LotR:TT EE
5.Indy Trilogy
6.The GodFather Trilogy
7.Terminater:UE
8.Fight Club(2 disc)
9.Toy Story:Ultimate Toy Box
10.Day of the Dead(2 disc)

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.