Widescreen = Censorship

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-04, 08:53 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Widescreen = Censorship

Gee, any suprise this guy uses aol?

http://members.aol.com/Savetele/

This page aims to do several things: 1) provide objective factual information about letterboxing or so-called "widescreen" versions of films on video and television (which should more accurately be called lettershlocking or "cutscreen"; 2) to help organize the opposition and resistance to this vilest form of movie censorship and to HDTV (they want to force you to buy new tvs with different dimensions designed to fit lettershlocking, and to take away our rights to watch and enjoy television as it now is), as well as to DVD (the format that the vile lettershlock censors are trying to foist off on us, it features built-in lettershlocking, believe it or not!); 3) to organize opposition to the DVD format which supports lettershlocking. The vast majority of tv viewers must speak out before the vile lettershlockers take away television, movies, and videos from us.

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:

1. WHAT IS "LETTERBOXING" (LETTERSHLOCKING)?

"Letterboxing" is the vile practice of censoring movies on video and broadcast television or cable by blocking the top and bottom of the television screen with black bars so that you cannot watch or enjoy the movie. Letterboxing"/Lettershlocking censorship ignores the fact that the television screen is a different shape than the movie screen, so that the movie must be correctly formatted to fit the television screen.

2. WHAT IS "WIDESCREEN"?

"Widescreen" is the same thing as "letterboxing"/lettershlocking. The term is used as propaganda to actually suggest that these censored renditions of the films are somehow better, preferable, superior. Further, the term itself is an absolute lie. The width of the television screen, obviously, is a fixed physical dimension. The image presented in lettershlocked "widescreen" garbage is the same width as any other television image. The top and bottom of the screen, rather than containing an image, is now blocked by black bars so that no image at all appears there. This is why a more accurate term than "widescreen" would be "cutscreen" or squashed screen. In widescreen/lettershlocked garbage, the image is squashed down small between the black bars so that it pretends to look like a movie screen even though the tv screen has different dimensions. While no part of the original movie image is cut or blocked by lettershlocking/widescreen, the black bars do block a portion of the television screen. This is wrong, and prevents anyone from watching or enjoying the film.. 99.999999999999% of the viewing public recognizes this for the atrocity it is. Yet the advocates of this want to take away your right to watch and enjoy movies on video, broadcast tv and cable, by pushing this lettershlocking on us. They can and must be stopped. They will be. The twenty-first century will be a totally lettershlock-free time! FREEDOM!

3. WHAT CAN WE DO?

To preserve our right to watch and enjoy movies on video and television, we can:

Write, email, and phone cable channels and video companies, strongly objecting to lettershlocked garbage being broadcast or marketed. Tell them that we want fullscreen images in which the movie image fills the entirety of the tv screen.
Write, email, and phone cable providers to strongly object to paying money for cable channels which broadcast lettershlocked garbage that we can't watch or enjoy. Cancel cable channels that broadcast such garbage and do not patronize video rental stores which market such junk.
Tell the FCC and your congresspeople that we DON'T want HDTV with its different dimensions and tell electronics stores that we DON'T want DVD players with their built in letterboxing/lettershlocking censorship function.
Investigate legal mechanisms to challenge lettershlocking as disability discrimination against the visually impaired, such as the Americans With Disabilities Act, the Rehabilitation Act, IDEA, and state and local anti-discrimination statutes and ordinances. Write to the FCC to object to license renewals for broadcast stations that broadcast such garbage.
Speak out everywhere against lettershlocking!
Celebrate August 13 each year, Alfred Hitchcock's birthday as International End Letterboxing/Lettershlocking Film Censorship Day.
Lettershlocking will end! Film censorship will be defeated! HDTV will become the Betamax of the late 90's. DVD disks with lettershlocking will become the 8-tracks of the late 90's. FULLSCREEN FOR ME! BAN THE BARS! CANCEL HDTV BEFORE IT BEGINS! LETTERSHLOCKING IS WRONG! IT WILL END!

CHECK BACK HERE FREQUENTLY FOR UPDATES ABOUT THIS CAMPAIGN FOR FREEDOM! TELL YOUR FRIENDS, NEIGHBORS, AND FAMILY!

HAVE YOUR ORGANIZATION ENDORSE AN END TO LETTERSHLOCKING!

BILLIONS OF TV VIEWERS WILL NOT BE DENIED! SAVE TELEVISION! OUTLAW LETTERSHLOCKING, the vilest evil of all time.

For more information, email [email protected]. Email from lettershlockers is no longer answered, as of April 27, 1999. We have no interest in debating them, and, as they have nothing legitimate to say, there is no point in dignifying their ludicrous arguments by responding to them. Hey lettershlockers--go away--we will no longer spend even one second responding to you. We're going to organize the majority and totally put an end to lettershlocking, the vilest evil of all time. FREEDOM!
Old 01-02-04, 08:59 PM

Wow that guy is very ignorant.
Old 01-02-04, 09:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HAHA!!! LETTERSHOCKING!!! HA! I need a good laugh once in a while. This guy sure knows what he's talking about
Old 01-02-04, 09:18 PM

Sounds more like a gag to me.
Old 01-02-04, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Hmm, I came into this thread ready to make some dry, witty remark about why people who hate widescreen are morons. But after reading that article, I see the guy makes some very logical points. After giving it some thought, this article has convinced me that widescreen really IS an infringment on our personal freedoms. I've never thought of it that way before, but I may begin to rethink my views on the issue.
Old 01-02-04, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
HE'S A WITCH!
Old 01-02-04, 10:05 PM
dgc

Originally posted by caiman
Hmm, I came into this thread ready to make some dry, witty remark about why people who hate widescreen are morons. But after reading that article, I see the guy makes some very logical points. After giving it some thought, this article has convinced me that widescreen really IS an infringment on our personal freedoms. I've never thought of it that way before, but I may begin to rethink my views on the issue.
I'm with ya man... this guy does make sense.
Old 01-02-04, 10:18 PM

Are there really people this stupid who can actually breathe on their own and cross streets without getting hit by cars? Or for that matter, tie their own shoelaces?

"Hello McFly, Anybody Home?!"

Last edited by rushmore223; 01-02-04 at 10:20 PM.
Old 01-02-04, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

This isn't new though. This is like the third time I've come across this page, directly from this site.

This guy not only makes sense though. He just might start a revolution. You can count me in.

K
Old 01-02-04, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

HDTV will become the Betamax of the late 90's. DVD disks with lettershlocking will become the 8-tracks of the late 90's.
looks a few yrs old to me.
just another delapidated storefront on the info super highway
Old 01-02-04, 10:30 PM

This has to be a gag. I think he knows how to tweak OAR purists. This reminds me of the "Two Towers name change" web page. Isn't the internet great.
Old 01-02-04, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by ckolchak
looks a few yrs old to me.
just another delapidated storefront on the info super highway
His whole approach is wrong - problems should be solved at their source. He should be campaigning to convert movie theaters to 4:3 ... then there would be no problem for home video.
Old 01-02-04, 10:50 PM

You always dread opening a thread that reads like this one..BUT..this was damn funny. It's a total gag.
Old 01-02-04, 10:52 PM

Originally posted by arthur_dent
HAHA!!! LETTERSHOCKING!!! HA! I need a good laugh once in a while. This guy sure knows what he's talking about
No different than those stupid terms people use for fullscreen....
Old 01-02-04, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 101 Likes on 63 Posts
I don't know why, but this makes me think of my neighbor - who ran up $20,000 in credit card debt before they cut him off - his line "I didn't know that they would want the money back - they sent me the credit cards when I graduated from college so I figured that anything that I bought with them was a graduation present". Now he's 35 years old and still paying this debt off.

One of his most recent "DUH"! He signed up for a retirement package and was shocked that they took money from his paycheck!

The most recent - he paid to get his website listed with google.com, but failed to give them any keywords or anything, but: "I'm so happy, now if you type my website address into google, it will find it!!" DUH! If I can type the address into google, I don't need google then do I??
Old 01-02-04, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

That thing is years old.
Old 01-02-04, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Seriously, that site is at least four years old and may even predate DVD. It seems to come up here about every six months.
Old 01-02-04, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
The site is a joke and has been posted here many times over the years.
Old 01-02-04, 11:17 PM
Banned

So Jesus was black?
Old 01-02-04, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
HE'S A WITCH!
He's made of wood?
Old 01-03-04, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by jayson1017
So Jesus was black?
One of them was.
Old 01-03-04, 12:14 AM

Originally posted by jayson1017
So Jesus was black?
No, you're thinking of Eddie Griffin.
Old 01-03-04, 12:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by lordzeppelin
He's made of wood?
No, you fool . . . he weighs the same as a duck . . . that's the only way you can know for sure.

Old 01-03-04, 12:51 AM

Originally posted by lordzeppelin
He's made of wood?
Or very small rocks.
Old 01-03-04, 01:16 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Boy, this guys really gonna be pissed when widescreen TV takes over.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.