Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Has anyone else *reduced* their collection?

Community
Search

Has anyone else *reduced* their collection?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-04, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by milo bloom
I think DVD is highly collectible format, and just plain highly collectible. I don't see anyone having as much fun with their Precious Moments figurines. I mean, they just sit there, collecting dust, looking pretty... and staring at you with those hollow, soul-less eyes.
That cracked me up. I have been an obsessive collector of things all my life, and DVDs are most definitely the most enjoyable things I have collected.

Anyway...

It seems EKPJ just doesn't want to let any of us into his collectors' club. I have never heard "collector" used in the "real world" context you describe.

What do you collect, EKPJ? You say you must have a desire to complete a collection to be a "collector." What defines a collection? I would think that is up to the "collector" to decide the parameters of his/her collection.

You say you are a Gerry Anderson collector. Do you own the R2 versions of his DVDs? I am pretty sure some of them have extras not available on R1. Will you buy his DVDs if they are released in other regions. Do you collect them on VHS as well? Do you buy other Gerry Anderson memorabilia?

I think a collector is anyone who conciously decides to collect something whether that be "my favorite movies on dvd" or "everything on dvd created by Gerry Anderson." There is a big difference between either of those and your average movie watcher.

Last edited by cynthia; 01-09-04 at 01:55 PM.
Old 01-09-04, 10:13 AM

I'm also a collector, meaning I buy a lot of DVDs that I never watch. I have somewhere between 500 and 1000 now. But the problem is, I have no space for them. Most of them are stored in boxes.

So, last week, I finally decided to go through some of the boxes to find DVDs I know I would never watch and tried to sell them.

For those who don't like the hassle of dealing with deadbeat bidders on Ebay, or the long wait times on Half (and I've been selling on both for years), I highly suggest selling on the used section of Amazon. Since the used DVDs are listed on the same page as the new DVDs, there is a MUCH higher amount of people looking at the items than those on Ebay.

I listed 8 last Saturday night. One sold within an hour of listing, 4 sold by Monday morning and as of yesterday, all were sold. No hassle about the sale either, they pay Amazon, Amazon tells me where to ship it, and Amazon sends me the money.

Probably not the best way to sell rare OOP titles, but for mainstream DVDs, it is the easiest.

And for those who can't even think about selling your DVDs, try to get over it. There is no way you can own every DVD out there. Why even try?
Old 01-09-04, 10:48 AM

Originally posted by FireStarta316
Where do you guys sell your DVDs when you decide to reduce the collection?

try secondspin.com

I've gotten up to $8 a disc and you can opt for cash or store credit. The only drawback is you have to pay for shipping the items to them.
Old 01-09-04, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

^I sell most of my unwanted discs on half.com. To date I've sold 377 DVDs for $7327.99. I also use Ebay from time to time. It's especially good for auctioning off multidisc sets. For example, I sold the 40 disc Star Trek: The Original Series there for $650.

If you're looking to just unload a bunch of discs quickly and will accept store credit try Digitaleyes.net. I've had good success unloading discs there that were undervalued on half.com. For example, at this moment a factory sealed copy of Stella presently sells for $1.85 on half.com, but Digitaleyes.net will pay $5.99 for a used copy.
Old 01-09-04, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Is Half.com a good way to sell DVD's?

I use Ebay for just about all of mine, but sometimes I don't get as much as I think I should. Half.com's commission fees are a bit high too.
Old 01-09-04, 12:57 PM
Banned

"That cracked me up. I have been an obsessive collector of things all my life, and DVDs are most definitely the most enjoyable things I have collected.

Anyway...

It seems EKPJ just doesn't want to let any of us into his collectors' club. I have never heard "collector" used in the "real world" context you describe."

This is hilarious, Cynthia. You just described yourself as a collector and modified it with the word obsessive. That seems to fit my real world definition to a tee. The rest of your arguments were really silly.
Old 01-09-04, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by EPKJ
This is hilarious, Cynthia. You just described yourself as a collector and modified it with the word obsessive.
Yes, I modified it with obsessive because being a collector doesn't require obsessiveness. Otherwise, obsessive collector would be redundant.
Old 01-09-04, 02:58 PM
Banned

Originally posted by cynthia
Yes, I modified it with obsessive because being a collector doesn't require obsessiveness. Otherwise, obsessive collector would be redundant.
It is redundant. My point stands that you admit to being obsessive to a degree thus adding evidence to support my contention that collectors are obsessive to some degree by nature. You are conveniently compartmentalizing this fact in order to defend your position.
Old 01-10-04, 10:53 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Yakuza Bengoshi
^I sell most of my unwanted discs on half.com. To date I've sold 377 DVDs for $7327.99. I also use Ebay from time to time. It's especially good for auctioning off multidisc sets. For example, I sold the 40 disc Star Trek: The Original Series there for $650.

Not bad. How much did you get those 377 dvds for?
Old 01-10-04, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally posted by jayson1017
Not bad. How much did you get those 377 dvds for?
I'm not exactly sure, but it was certainly less than $6000.
Old 01-10-04, 01:56 PM

Originally posted by EPKJ
{snip most excellent post re: collectors}
See, that's what drove my exGF up the wall. I'm a collector. Always have been and I always will be.

When I was young, I collected comic books.
When I was a teenager, I collected comics and books.
When I was in my early 20's, I collected comics, books, VHS, and a few other things.
I was originally a music major in college, so let's no even go into how many CDs I have/have had/have ripped to MP3.

I've got around 300 DVDs now. Most are movies that I watched repeatedly at some point. I'd recently only been picking up British Comedies and movies that really held my interest at the theatre.

There's too many cheap places to rent DVDs now and I've found some local places that stock oddball flicks and shows, so there's no problem finding the obscure when I'm in the mood.

Did I ever sell my books? Yes. Not all, but a lot. Did I regret it? Mostly (GF had become exGF, that whole deal). Am I re-buying series on Ebay? Some. Will I read them again? Given how much drank when at UNT, many will be fresh stories again, so yes.

Did I ever sell my comic books? Not yet. In the process of sorting through them now that I have a house. Most don't have much monetary value anymore, but there are more than a few gems. Who knows?

I've got very few VHS movies sitting about now. Mostly Disney or movies that haven't turned up on DVD yet. The rest have been upgraded.

People ask me, "why did you finally decide to major in Library Information Science?"