Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

How Rare Is Rareż

How Rare Is Rareż

Old 12-31-03, 09:45 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don't forget The Killer. Its also rare, along with Salo...
Old 12-31-03, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yes there are a great deal of rare DVDs or OOP DVDs but I believe that is seperate from what the original poster meant. 99% of these DO NOT have 'Limited Edition' or 'Limited Collector's Edition' on them which tells you what? That these labels are COMPLETELY meaningless unless they have a 'number 1 out of 1000' but even then it's a crap shoot because the studio can just decide whenver they want to to print more.

This is different than the Hard Boiled CC, The Killer CC, or Salo CC as these are OOP and will not be released again from Criterion. Of course they are availbale in other forms but the Criterion Collectors need ALL of the spine numbers so they colllect them regardless of price. I see a great deal of people who want the entire collection regardless of whether they like the movie or not. That is unimoportant. What is is the CC Number on the spine.
Old 12-31-03, 12:29 PM

"But Ebay should be no way an indicator on how much items are worth"

What something is 'worth' is only what someone is willing to pay for it. I don't see how ebay is a less than valid indicator of that.
Old 12-31-03, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 113 Likes on 81 Posts
Originally posted by hugo1000faces
http://www.theonion.com/onion3710/ev...llectible.html

"Above: A rare 2001 extension cord with a limited run of 5,000. Its value is estimated at $750."
Old 12-31-03, 01:48 PM

Lynn Lowry was selling signed editions of I DRINK YOUR BLOOD at the recent Chiller Convention in October. Not sure if it was just her signature or the entire cast signatures that were available in the 500 numbered version. Received my copy from Grindhouse when it was announced. 500 is such a small run! Didn't know about the passing of Bhaskar. Sad to hear.
Old 01-01-04, 06:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

"What something is 'worth' is only what someone is willing to pay for it. I don't see how ebay is a less than valid indicator of that."

Exactly. To me Ebay is th ultimate determination of what something is worth because you are making it available to most anyone that is in the market for whichever item your listing.
Old 01-01-04, 09:03 AM

So true... I got my hands on 7 sealed copies of DUEL. Each sold on average for $80.00 or more.
Old 01-01-04, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,286 Likes on 935 Posts
Originally posted by Darryl
... Not sure if it was just her signature or the entire cast signatures that were available in the 500 numbered version...
It was the director and 4 of the cast members.
Old 01-01-04, 01:31 PM

Hi Guys,

The rarest dvd I have in my collection is called "Ralph McQuarrie Illustrator". It is signed by McQuarrie and numbered and limited to 100. Mine is 011/100. Does anyone know what it might be worth? --Edward
Old 01-02-04, 10:51 AM

I have 342/5000 of that collectible extension cord lol
Old 01-02-04, 11:11 AM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Man, I have three of those cords, but I threw away the packaging.

Does anyone know how much they're worth without the original packaging?

So stupid of me to have tossed it...
Old 01-02-04, 11:20 AM

I have the cord but it has a white cover and it claims to be 25ft. but I know mine is only 22ft..........damn bootlegs!!!!
Old 01-02-04, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Puzznic
"What something is 'worth' is only what someone is willing to pay for it. I don't see how ebay is a less than valid indicator of that."

Exactly. To me Ebay is th ultimate determination of what something is worth because you are making it available to most anyone that is in the market for whichever item your listing.
the factor with ebay is that there is so many other factors that come in skewing the worth of said item. Shill bidding, non-paying bidders and the such. Just because some idiot is willing to pay $5 bucks for pop corn in a theater doesn't mean that pop corn outside of that theater setting would be worth the same 5 dollars. Hell, you can even argue that the theater setting isn't even worth the money.

I would be willing to say that the supply and demand of ebay in itself works as a incentive to sellers. If you have a item, say DUEL or a CC that is OOP and actually rare, then yes, ebay will only help your chances of selling it at a higher price, A market where you can buy a ghost in a bottle, mark hamill's pee in a jar, and other such crap is a sign that it's not the perfect indicating factor in how much something is truely worth.

The majority of collectables now a days aren't. People still buy into the idea that they will have something worth a retirement home in florida, but they fail to see that when every other schmoe has the same "collectors item" then they wont be able to sell it to anyone later on down the road.
Old 01-03-04, 02:25 PM
Banned

Lets step aside for a moment and look at the forest, instead of the trees...

The essense of the question was:

How rare is rare?

The answer:

rare.

Now, take that into consideration and continue on with your discussion.
Old 01-03-04, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Rare is indeed Rare.

Much like an Apple is and an Apple. But when you start making a lot of oranges and start calling them apples, then you have some problems on your hands.

uh yeah...
Old 01-03-04, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

SALO (Criterion) is definitely rare. Sold my sealed copy a couple of months ago for like $850.00 as I mentioned in an old post.

I've been hanging onto a sealed Mr. White cover of Reservoir Dogs, but this title doesn't seem to be going up in price like I would expect despite it no longer being available in the 4 special covers (although some e-tailers seem to still have them).
Old 01-04-04, 12:36 AM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
The Res. Dogs SEs aren't rare at all. There are thousands of them.

I saw a "limited edition" Mr. Brown cover at Best Buy that I almost bought before I remembered that it's not worth anything, and I already have my preferred cover (Mr. Pink).
Old 01-04-04, 12:47 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

The problem is that there is no market for the color covers. Why should there be? there were shipped in boat loads when they were in production in such personality covers that everyone who wanted to get it, already did. Not to mention that you can buy the film itself without having to get that specific cover so those less then hard core fans still have the meat and bones of what you got.. the film itself, and ultimately that is what counts.

Look at scarface. When the box set came out everyone was going mad for it because they believed that it would be worth so much. HA! I think if you look back at those threads you will see me as the main person saying how you could count on that being rare as much as you can count on aint it cool news bringing any sort of entertainment. It's Universal. You have to follow the trends. Look at E.T. wasn't it supposed to be destroyed last jan 1st? I can still find copies.

They create a fake demand for it and then just let you eat it up like it will be worth something.

Those trying to make a profit off how rare something might be are trying to catch lighting in a jar. Perhaps you can have some hints and guesses on what might be rare, but really it's all chance on what actually does become rare and worth all that crap.

Buy movies for your enjoyment, that's the best investiment method you can have with dvd's. simple as that.
Old 01-04-04, 02:42 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Oh! I forgot about E.T.... that really pisses me off. I bought the expensive box set at full retail right before the "discontinued" date because it was hard to find aroung then, yet now I see the box set in stores all the time. What did they do, turn up a few cases of this in some hidden warehouse?
Old 01-04-04, 03:04 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

They always had tons of cases of this. they provided there own hype. You saw advertisements talking about how it was your last chance to get it before they go away.

Atleast disney has the balls to throw there shit in the vault. Even though with that method you still have millions of copies floating around so thus, the value is only created by ebayers who bought into the fact that they might very well being holding on to the last of a dying bread...
Old 01-04-04, 04:13 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 188 Likes on 105 Posts
The only rare movies I have are on VHS -- a bunch of old skateboard videos that have been long out of print. They aren't worth too much, though, because it's so easy to find bootleg copies of them.