Alien Quad Question

Old 12-24-03, 04:47 PM
DvDtakesallmy$

Alien Quad Question

Just bought the quad and when I opend the set I immediatly noticed that disc 2 and 5 look and feel different from the rest of the set. The picture and color seem faded. Just wondering if everyones looked like this or if i need to make an exchange. Thanks for any help!

Old 12-24-03, 05:01 PM

I think there is something funny going on with these.

I haven't watched it yet, but when I was looking at the discs I noticed one of them had finger prints all over it. Wierd. You'd think a machine put the discs in or at the very least Fox would have bought their packers some gloves.
Old 12-24-03, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Just opened mine to check and notice nothing untowards about this set.

Still giddy about only paying $42
Old 12-24-03, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

$42? WTF?

(oh yeah, my set looked fine)
Old 12-24-03, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: In a small pocket universe hoping to someday become a Moderator Emeritus at DVDTalk.com!
Originally posted by Tsar Chasm
Just opened mine to check and notice nothing untowards about this set.

Still giddy about only paying $42
I know what you mean Tsar Chasm.

I'm still reeling after paying only $17.96 for my set...... Ahhhh... I love stumping the man.....
Old 12-24-03, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm still curious if I should risk opening the box sent to me by accident by DDDVD, or if I should just get rid of it sealed and buy what I want to with it...
Old 12-25-03, 12:47 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
paid 39 from the fox lot myself. no problems here.
Old 12-25-03, 01:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by shawagg
I haven't watched it yet, but when I was looking at the discs I noticed one of them had finger prints all over it. Wierd. You'd think a machine put the discs in or at the very least Fox would have bought their packers some gloves.
In addition to the legion of skipping complaints, this is the second instance of this that someone has mentioned here. This is unprecedented, in my experience.

Hell, I've never had fingerprints on any of the used discs I've bought.
Old 12-25-03, 05:05 AM
ruk
DVD Talk Special Edition

bought alien legacy for $50, sold it for over $75, plus applied for CC at amazon, plus share the love, quadrilogy cost me about $11, i am pretty pumped, but have not gone through the dvd's yet and am worried that it might skip
Old 12-25-03, 05:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Nothing odd about my set at all. And I paid nothing for it. Can't beat FREE!
Old 12-25-03, 04:09 PM

Alien wasn'teven in its spindle...and had a multitude of scratches...the same can be said for Aliens.
Old 12-25-03, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I hate that so many are having problems. I got it for Christmas and mine is perfect so far. The package was pristine, perfect booklet, perfect discs and digipack. I haven't watched a lot yet but from all the flipping I did, everything worked great.
Old 12-25-03, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I got mine today and it was fine. The only minor thing is that a couple of the corners of some of the plastic trays are separating from the glue spots, but it isn't enough to prevent the trays from staying in place, so itís really no problem. I attribute this to the bulkiness of the enormous digipack, which causes the sections to twist out of alignment. I really think they should have done something other than a digipack for this set. Some double keepcases would have been great.

And I have a question. I haven't watched any of the material yet, so I don't know whether or not the discs all play like they should. How can I go about checking them without actually sitting down and watching everything? (I don't exactly have time to watch 8 movies straight through as well as hours upon hours of features tonight). If I just scroll through the chapters, will that accurately tell me if the discs are ok?
Old 12-25-03, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by speedy1961
I'm still reeling after paying only $17.96 for my set...... Ahhhh... I love stumping the man.....
Don't know about anyone else, but I'd love to hear the story behind this one...
Old 12-25-03, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Just watched Alien D.C. - not a glitch. Great movie, better than I remember. I love those damn aliens!
Old 12-25-03, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by caiman
And I have a question. I haven't watched any of the material yet, so I don't know whether or not the discs all play like they should. How can I go about checking them without actually sitting down and watching everything? (I don't exactly have time to watch 8 movies straight through as well as hours upon hours of features tonight). If I just scroll through the chapters, will that accurately tell me if the discs are ok?
Man, that's a tough one. I think, in one of the other threads, some have given specific spots where there have been problems. I've just been going through as much as I can. So far, I haven't run into any problems.
Old 12-25-03, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: In a small pocket universe hoping to someday become a Moderator Emeritus at DVDTalk.com!
Originally posted by TomOpus
Man, that's a tough one. I think, in one of the other threads, some have given specific spots where there have been problems. I've just been going through as much as I can. So far, I haven't run into any problems.
I have only had problems in one spot which I posted earlier.

On a side note, two specific observations on the Making of Alien DVD (Disc #2):

1. Dan O'Bannon has the waistline of his pants coming up to nipple level

2. Harry Dean Stanton's head looks like it's mutating. It appears to be bulging outward on the left side of your screen (right side proper).

Are these side effects of working on the first Alien movie?????? Hmmmmmm