Help - x-Files DVDs

Community
Search

Help - x-Files DVDs

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-03, 12:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help - x-Files DVDs

I've been seeing all of these auctions on eBay for seasons 1-7 (or 8) of the X-Files on DVD. I'm guessing by their description that they're chinese versions. Will they be of the same quality as the US versions? Will there be special features & will they be playable?
Will any US DVD player play these dvds?
PLease help.
Old 12-18-03, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

They're bootlegs, not as high quality from what I've heard. I just pay the $80 a pop on North American DVD, it's worth it.
Old 12-18-03, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Not all of the sets on ebay are Chinese bootlegs. I bought my entire X-Files seasons 1-8 collection on ebay, and they're all legit Region 1 versions. I don't believe I paid more than $70 for any individual season set, and got a few of them for as low as $40, all new and sealed US retail versions. It's just a matter of paying attention to the details listed in the auction and how reputable the seller is.

A good rule of thumb is if the auction price for any individual set is in the $50 and up range with a good number of bidders, the set is probably a legit US version. If the auction price is hovering somewhere around $30, it's probably the Asian bootleg, and of probably much lesser quality. I would certainly recommend shelling out the extra $30 or $40 to win an auction on a legit set.
Old 12-18-03, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Make SURE to check to see they are Region 1 encoded, and you'll be fine. Anything that says Region 0 or region-free is bad news. Also make sure you check the seller's rating.
Old 12-18-03, 03:46 PM

The asian sets have no extras.
Quality is going to vary, my S8 set is asian and it looks ok. acouple of eps will only play on my cheap apex player, and not at all on my comp or ps2.
not a bad deal if you just want the eps and don't want to spend alot of money.
US versions on ebay won't sell below $ 50.00
Asian will rarely bring more than $30.00