Used DVDS?

Old 12-17-03, 08:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Used DVDS?

So how many of you buy used dvds from either pawn shops, blockbusters etc...
Old 12-17-03, 08:50 PM
Suspended

only if the are not beat up and at a good price...Gamestop overcharges but electonics boutique has great prices on used dvds.
Old 12-17-03, 08:51 PM

I do all the time - Blockbuster, VideoWarehouse, Plan9 Records, ebay. Have not had any real problems yet. I typically buy used for mass release movies that I want but can handle waiting a few weeks to purchase. Some movies (foreign, arthouse) I can only find new, so those are never purchased used.
Old 12-17-03, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,285 Likes on 935 Posts
I buy 'em at least once a week. I go to a couple local places and they're always in great shape.
Old 12-17-03, 10:07 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

A local video store sells preveiwed DVDs for 3/$21 I've gotten some from them.

A local Pawn shop sells them for 3/$18 gotten some from them.

All in great shape with no problems...
Old 12-17-03, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
there was a thread on this already...you might do a search for more responses.

no used dvds for me, thanks. it's much easier for me to order and buy new and have most of it dropped at my doorstep. I dont really want to waste time searching for that "best" deal and price. I can afford new....so I buy new.
Old 12-18-03, 12:10 AM

I bet if I did a search I would find that 90% of the posts that gutwrencher posts, he managed to brag about he huge DVD collection that he has.

Dude, I know its a free country and everything but you don't need to tell everyone about how great your DVD collection is and how new every DVD that you purchase is, in every single one of your posts.

We all know you spend hundreds of dollars each week on DVDs. We all know that you have a great job and you make a ton of money on tips. We all are extreamly jealous of you.

Geez man, we get it.
Old 12-18-03, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

And this has to do with "used DVDs" ... how?

If you don't like his posts, don't read 'em and stick to the thread.
Old 12-18-03, 12:27 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
if they are a good deal, why not.
Old 12-18-03, 01:58 AM

I do not taint my collection like that. All 100% pure bred, brand new DVDs.
Old 12-18-03, 02:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by EskimoJoe
I can relate. I only buy DVD's with pictured of blonde haired blue eyed people on the covers.

I borrow a lot of DVD's from my public library. They have thousands of titles including dozens of Criterions. Check out for a week for free.
Old 12-18-03, 02:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
I have in the past purchased them, but at some point, I realized most of them I could get cheaper and in better condition, so I pretty much stopped (esp. if it is disks that are available at Columbia House, which covers about 95% of the Previewed DVDs I see.
Old 12-18-03, 06:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by EskimoJoe
Of course, once you've watched them, they are all used!

I have no problem saving a little money every now and then - I've managed to add many expensive titles to my collection that I might not otherwise have, thanks to used DVDs.
Old 12-18-03, 06:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by marty888
Of course, once you've watched them, they are all used!

I have no problem saving a little money every now and then - I've managed to add many expensive titles to my collection that I might not otherwise have, thanks to used DVDs.
I was just thinking the same thing. Once the plastic wrap is off, it's used. I'd be willing to bet no one can tell the difference between those I've bought new and those I've bought used since the covers and discs are in near mint condition.

When I can pick up Twilight Zone Collection #1 for $35 or Toy Story Ultimate Toy Box for around $20..... it's hard to resist.
Old 12-18-03, 07:00 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I rarely buy used because major studio titles are available from Columbia House for a price comparable with what Blockbuster charges. As to independent and foreign stuff, I will buy that used online from time to time, but only if there's a signficant savings because dealing with online returns of used DVDs is no fun. All together I've got about 15 DVDs I bought used.

Last edited by Yakuza Bengoshi; 12-18-03 at 09:05 AM.
Old 12-18-03, 09:11 AM

Originally posted by Yakuza Bengoshi
I rarely buy used because major studio titles are available from Columbia House for a price comparable with what Blockbuster charges. As to independent and foreign stuff, I will buy that used online from time to time, but only if there's a signficant savings because dealing with online returns of used DVDs is no fun. All together I've got about 15 DVDs I bought used.
I used to buy used from two local stores. I thought I was getting good deals until I discovered this forum. All my used discs are in mint condition. You can save some serious money on used stuff.
Old 12-18-03, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

There is a local used cd/dvd store that gets several copies of every major new release each week. They have fantastic prices ($35.99 for Alien Quad, $29.99 for Looney Tunes Golden, $19.99 for LOTR EE's, Alias, 24, CSI sets at $34.99, etc.) plus they give stamps towards a free disc so needless to say that is where I get most of my dvd's and cd's.
Old 12-18-03, 11:20 AM

Most of my stuff I purchase new, but I usually check on eBay first to see if I can a find a title mint, used, and at a savings of at least $2-$3 over the online retailers I buy from (Deep Discount, DVDEmpire, Overstock, and -- for Criterions -- DVDPlanet).

On rare occasions I'm able to find a "smaller" title on the cheap, but for the most part, eBay is good for finding "big" titles cheaply in the month or two directly following their DVD release (when the market is absolutely flooded).

I'd say I have maybe 90-120 DVDs in my collection that I found used; and with the exception of maybe 5-10, I've been thrilled with the condition. In fact, my biggest complaints have been with the condition of cases and cover art -- a situation I rectified by purchasing replacement cases, and then ditching a dirty case to make myself feel better.
Old 12-18-03, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have bought about 3 or 4 used DVDs per year over the past 3 1/2 years, and only one or two were bad. All I had to do was take it back to BB and the replaced it. Or just get a DVD cleaner which has worked everytime for me.
Old 12-18-03, 12:07 PM

I have either purchased or traded for numerous used DVDs... probably a quarter of my collection and have only very seldom encountered any problems.

Generally, I avoid buying from rental places like Blockbuster, or form libraries, because those discs tend to be very beat up. But most used discs are no problem at all. It's also very nearly the ONLY way to find older, rare, OOP discs.
Old 12-18-03, 01:35 PM

Ditto what Mark said, with the exception that more than half my collection has been either traded for with a title i bought used or just flat out bought used. Similar to what someone else said, once the shrink wrap is off and you run across a used one in the same condition, you kinda feel taken. Not unless you willingly wanna get taken just because "I can afford new....so I buy new...."

David
Old 12-18-03, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Never.
Old 12-18-03, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I did the BBV thing three times with the buy 2 get 1 free. I kept to picking only Trade-In DVDs they were all listed at $9.99 and played and looked like new (case, disc, and insert if it was released with one).
I never purchased a rental DVD
Old 12-18-03, 04:34 PM

I got 24-Series 1 used for $35 dollars. well worth the price! but, the outside box looked liked it was stepped on. the discs still play.
there is a new chain called Movie Trading Company that is starting up. the founder is the guy who started CD Warehouse. you can rent new and used discs, plus a decent selection of dvds, cds and music for sale.
Old 12-18-03, 05:35 PM

Originally posted by cross
I bet if I did a search I would find that 90% of the posts that gutwrencher posts, he managed to brag about he huge DVD collection that he has.

Dude, I know its a free country and everything but you don't need to tell everyone about how great your DVD collection is and how new every DVD that you purchase is, in every single one of your posts.

We all know you spend hundreds of dollars each week on DVDs. We all know that you have a great job and you make a ton of money on tips. We all are extreamly jealous of you.

Geez man, we get it.
if thats the way you and everyone else takes it....tough. I know there are members here that dont take it that way. I dont start the threads...I respond. stop asking the same questions over and over....and I'll stop replying over and over..... if I feel like it. find something else to cry about. after getting home from a 15 hour work day and reading this kind of crap really turns me off. I dont brag....thats bullshit. next time I'll just lie and everything will be all good.

Last edited by gutwrencher; 12-19-03 at 12:58 AM.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.