The Pretenders - Loose in L.A.

Old 12-16-03, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Pretenders - Loose in L.A.

Wasn't even aware until today that this DVD existed. Has anyone seen it? And if so, your thoughts?
Old 12-16-03, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I haven't seen the actual DVD, but I saw it broadcast on one of the Hi-Def variety channels a few weeks ago---excellent. The band sounded awesome, a nice choice of songs, and it's a great, sharp, widescreen picture. I'll pick this up eventually.
Old 12-16-03, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Ky-Fi
I haven't seen the actual DVD, but I saw it broadcast on one of the Hi-Def variety channels a few weeks ago---excellent. The band sounded awesome, a nice choice of songs, and it's a great, sharp, widescreen picture. I'll pick this up eventually.
Wow, that was a record response. Thanks for the mini-review. I'm gonna pick this up too. Just wanted to see if anyone saw it. Glad to see other Pretenders fans around here. Very sad that this got zero promotion. I go to both Tower Records and Best Buy two or three times a week and have seen nothing on it. If it weren't for the review in Uncut magazine, I would have never known.
Old 12-17-03, 05:20 AM

I have it and it's great!! They band is sharp and they play almost everything you would want to hear. The recording and production values are top-notch. Not sure where you are, but the last time I was in Tallahassee Vinyl Fever had a few copies for $9.99 each.
Old 12-17-03, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

thanks for the tip....I may pick this one up. last time I actually saw them live was around 1984. now that show peeled paint off walls....hope they still have a little of that energy.
Old 12-17-03, 10:40 AM

Good to hear this is a good one. I like The Pretenders, though I'm not a hardcore fan. I was interested in picking it up and may do so eventually. I'm such a whore for concert/music video on DVD.
Old 12-17-03, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by gutwrencher
thanks for the tip....I may pick this one up. last time I actually saw them live was around 1984. now that show peeled paint off walls....hope they still have a little of that energy.
I'm very envious that you got to see the Pretenders in their prime. I've been a huge fan of theirs since 1979. And for some odd reason, I never went to see live until they opened for the B-52's around 1998 (not touring to support any album). Then again when they toured for "Viva el Amor" in 1999. Both times, they were great. The only thing I can compare these shows to is some live footage from the 80's. But from what I can tell, they've tightened up their sound. I'm guessing because they were so f'd up their first few years. Not so much Chrissie, but the rest of the band. Also, sadly, I didn't get to see them when they came through my town last year to support their last (and SUPERB) album "Loose Screw". So I'm very anxious to see this DVD.
Old 12-17-03, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I saw them with the original lineup in 1981 in support of Pretenders II. I still have a drumstick from that show. Unbelieveable!
Old 12-17-03, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

DVD is great. Good song selection. She seems comfortbale with this band, unlike some of the previous lineups. Guitarist strays a bit to make his own mark, but plays some parts close to "note for note" on classics like "Kid", where James' guitar work was such an integral part of the song.

Saw them for the first time in 82 or 83 when they played a few gigs on their way to the US festival, then again every tour that they hit Phoenix. Always a good show. Fav show was The Alarm opening for them at ASU! Great stuff.
Old 12-17-03, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

To all of you who saw the Pretenders in their original line-up....you're very very lucky. On a side note, does anyone here have their Greatest Hits on DVD? It's only available on R2 to the best of my knowledge. On it, there's a *terrific* interview with Chrissie. And in parts, Bono interviews her too. In which he claims she's the reason he started a band. Very cool stuff. If you have an all regional player, and you're a Pretenders fan, this is a must have. You can get it here:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...407568-2859031
Old 12-17-03, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by Daytripper
To all of you who saw the Pretenders in their original line-up....you're very very lucky.
as for me....very, very old.

not that old...but I saw Pink Floyd on the Meddle Tour, which is why my life is so messed up.
Old 12-24-03, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Just got this baby for Christmas. Very very nice! Love the widescreen and picture quality. The sound....excellent. The band has never sounded better. And what a setlist. WOW! This is the second best live music DVD I own ("Stop Making Sense" is still #1).