Best way to sell 350+ dvds?

Old 12-19-03, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Best way to sell 350+ dvds?

I didn't know whether this should go here, or the Exchange forum, so sorry if I've mis-posted.

Looking for suggestions: I'm very likely moving from the U.S. to Ireland (Republic) and am the proud owner of about 350+ dvds. I'd like to sell them, unless I can use them in Ireland. Anyone out there have thoughts on the best way to sell them off? I figure I have two options, using one of two sources: Ebay or here on the Exchange forum. The options are of course: as a lot, or individually. Of course, I don't want the pain of sending 350 dvds to 350 addresses, but will I lose alot selling them as a lot? Generally speaking, what's the figure most people are going with nowadays?

Sorry, I'm an old fart when it comes to DVDTalk - which I've been a member of since forever, but haven't been paying as much attention lately.

Most of my collection is varied. I have mostly newer films, independent films, a few criterions, etc. Mostly what you'd probably expect to see for a collection about this size.

Thanks for any opinions!
Steve
Old 12-19-03, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'd like to sell them, unless I can use them in Ireland.

Why not use them in Ireland. If you had a region free player I don't see any problem in keeping them. Also it would allow you to play DVDs from any other region.

Last edited by Laser Movies; 12-19-03 at 03:47 PM.
Old 12-19-03, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'll give you a dollar for all of them, and that's my last offer
Old 12-19-03, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If you have any rare, oop, or really good stuff, my suggestion would be to sell it on ebay with about 10 or 15 of your clunkers. That way people will liquidate and pay more for the stuff

Otherwise, DEFINATELY take it to Ireland. When I was there this summer, most any new release was about 30 Euro, which would be about $36 bucks American now. It will be expensive to rebuild your collection over there.
Old 12-19-03, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Wow, thanks for the quick thoughts.

Lasermovies, I guess the question I'm asking is: "Are there region-free players in Ireland"? If so, yeah, no-brainer. So are there?

Phuzbox, I'd have to ask for at least a dollar per disk - and that would include my copy of MST3K The Movie - I want to get at LEAST a dollar for that one!

Nature Boy, Good advice. 30 Euro will be harsh. If there's region free players over there, what would stop me from having family/friends buy me American DVDs and shipping them over periodically (to save on shipping)? I guess the only downside would be the time and also that I couldn't lend my DVD to my neighbor, if he didn't have a region-free player.

The thing that makes me wonder, though, is why the different region codes if Region-free players are on all the shelves?

Which brings me to my last question: Can I walk into any Tesco's or electronics store in the Rep. of Ireland and buy a region-free player?
Old 12-19-03, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

You can get a region free player here that will handle the change in power the different electrical systems here have. It would cost you probably about $50, last I read. I don't know if I can give the URL for a message board that would help with way more info, so e-mail me privately for it. Also, check the international forum here.

I have a Daewoo 5700 and it's going strong after a good year and a half of heavy use.
Old 12-19-03, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

me and good bud abe lincoln have an idea.
Old 12-19-03, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

some places (both internet & B&M) here in US carries region-free player... ranges from chep-piece-of-shit to great quality name brand

check the DVDTalk's International Forum, they discuss many times on region-free player topic

i believe they're some players that can be modified via software (so basicly you can just buy the player on ANY store) or hardware (same model on the one you see in regular store, but with modified hardware inside it)

since you're still in the US, might as well pick up the player here... unless you can find a dealer/store there that can carry the player that you're looking for

personally, i got my Daewoo player (modified via software) & it serves my purpose. software modified might be the easiest way to go, but i've heard hardware modified is better

hope it helps
Old 12-19-03, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

There are region free players in England (seems like a lot of people there have Philips region-free players) so I'm sure there are in Ireland too.
Old 12-19-03, 04:39 PM

There are tonnes of region free players in australia.. and most countries.. im positive there will be some in Ireland too. i wouldnt bother buying a player from the US..

worst case scenario buy a regular r2 player when in ireland and get it modified for a few bucks so that it can play all regions
Old 12-19-03, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by modfather
Wow, thanks for the quick thoughts.

Lasermovies, I guess the question I'm asking is: "Are there region-free players in Ireland"? If so, yeah, no-brainer. So are there?

I don't live in Ireland but would bet there are plenty of them in that country. From what I read on this forum it sounds like region free DVD players are the norm and a necessity outside of the US. Also you want to be sure to get a DVD player that can play both NTSC and PAL discs. I agree with some of the others that it might be better to get a player after you arrive.

Last edited by Laser Movies; 12-19-03 at 04:50 PM.
Old 12-19-03, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Have you looked at secondspin.com?

You can email them your list and they’ll email back a quote.

Myself, I’d take the discs with, most of ‘em anyway.
Old 12-19-03, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: In my secret underground lair, plotting to TAKE OVER THE WORLD!!! Bwuaaahahahaha!!
... and that would include my copy of MST3K The Movie - I want to get at LEAST a dollar for that one!
You drive a hard bargain...

I'll go as high as $1.28...

Old 12-19-03, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

http://dvdworld.co.uk/hardware_dept_...p?dept%5Fid=50
Old 12-19-03, 05:54 PM
Cool New Member

Originally posted by LASERMOVIES
Also you want to be sure to get a DVD player that can play both NTSC and PAL discs. .
A lot of those "cheap chinese DVD players" are ALL REGION, and can do PAL/NTSC, and 120/240v.
The reason is simple: Its cheaper to make the same DVD player for everyone, and just adjust the settings slightly for each region.

Anyway, while I was in Ireland, I did notice that most of the TVs I saw could play both PAL and NTSC, so you shouldnt have any problem.
When you get to Ireland, check out a few players, and look them up on VCDHELP.com to see if they can be mod'd.

But... if you want the money, just dump all 350 on Ebay. Lots of people do that, and it always seem to sell pretty high.

nick
Old 12-19-03, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by littlefuzzy
I'll go as high as $1.28...
$100: take it or leave it.

Just take them with you. If you're making a permenant move, take everything with you. If you're going temporarly, get a big CD-binder, and put everything in that.
Old 12-22-03, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks to all the replies. I'm not sure whether I'll take them with me or not (even if I got $10 per, that's a nice bit o'cash). But maybe I will. The move will be somewhat permanent (I would imagine no less than three years).

The problem is: even though the company will relocate me, and we'll likely sell or give away everything in the house we own, I'm not sure I want to devote one large box on movies, as much as we love them. But I did want to say "thanks" and "Merry Christmas" to everyone who replied. (I'd say "Happy Holidays" or "Happy non-denominational celebratory winter season", or such, but that's me - I live on the edge of controversy.
Old 12-22-03, 01:20 PM
MrE
DVD Talk Special Edition

I guess the only downside would be the time and also that I couldn't lend my DVD to my neighbor, if he didn't have a region-free player.
And the downside is...?
Old 12-22-03, 01:27 PM
Banned

I guess the only downside would be the time and also that I couldn't lend my DVD to my neighbor, if he didn't have a region-free player.
You could lend him the dvd-player also..
Old 12-22-03, 01:35 PM

You also have enough time, if you are looking for a write off on taxes this year, to just drop them off at your local library. It's not cash in hand but depending upon how your taxes are looking this might be better If nothing else it might be an easy way to get rid of the bulk of the collection and then sell off some of the titles individually.
Old 12-22-03, 09:36 PM

Why do you wanna sell your collection? Don't! You can definitely get ALOT of DVD players here in Ireland that are modded so that you can play DVD's from all regions. They are as commonly sold here as in the UK.

So, don't sell your hard earned DVD collection.

People in Ireland are as keen in importing DVDs from the US/Canada because of the better extras/quality; it's done so frequently also coz' of the lower prices of R1 DVDs (initial release).

BTW, I've lived in the UK and Ireland, and fortunately Ireland doesn't suffer from the strict duty and customs charges the UK has, if you plan to buy R1 DVDs.
Old 12-22-03, 10:07 PM
Suspended - needs to provide a working email

Thanks to all the replies. I'm not sure whether I'll take them with me or not (even if I got $10 per, that's a nice bit o'cash). But maybe I will. The move will be somewhat permanent (I would imagine no less than three years).

The problem is: even though the company will relocate me, and we'll likely sell or give away everything in the house we own, I'm not sure I want to devote one large box on movies, as much as we love them. But I did want to say "thanks" and "Merry Christmas" to everyone who replied. (I'd say "Happy Holidays" or "Happy non-denominational celebratory winter season", or such, but that's me - I live on the edge of controversy.
As someone else mentioned, CD binders can cut down on space a lot. You could ask a friend to hold onto the box of empty cases for you or put it in storage--or just dump them if you don't have any sentimental value for them.

Thank you for the "Merry Christmas" and a Happy Hanukkah to you. And have fun in Ireland. If you've never been, it's a beautiful country, and if you have, you're probably eager to return.

Edit: Spelling...

Last edited by elise; 12-22-03 at 10:11 PM.
Old 12-22-03, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I have not seen very many people have success in trying to sale as a lot unless they are very cheap. Most people will already have quite a few that are in your's that are for sale.
Old 12-22-03, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

You will have no trouble finding a quality region-free player in Ireland. Also, most television sets do both NTSC and PAL natively, so either way you should be okay.

I moved to England for a year and stuck all my DVDs (about 50) into a binder. I also had a binder of about 200 CDs, both of which I put in my luggage. If shouldn't be very hard to fit 100 more discs; this way you won't have to worry about shipping. This is assuming you have a place to store your cases, of course.
Old 12-23-03, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by TracerBullet
I moved to England for a year and stuck all my DVDs (about 50) into a binder. I also had a binder of about 200 CDs, both of which I put in my luggage. If shouldn't be very hard to fit 100 more discs; this way you won't have to worry about shipping. This is assuming you have a place to store your cases, of course.
This is good advice. I have a couple of friends who did the exact same thing and were very happy about it. You might think about fitting your binders into your carry-on for greater security.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.