Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

So what's the latest on LOWER DEPTHS Criterion?

Community
Search

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-03, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I did a search and came up empty... any update on Kurosawa's Lower Depths? It was 'delayed' and I heard rumors of 'before the end of the year'. Now it no longer seems to be on Criterion's site.

Has this been squashed or just pushed way into 2004?
Old 12-16-03, 12:30 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What I've read it has been pushed back and is rumored to be released in a double disc set with "Bas-fonds, Les" which translates to The Lower Depths a film by Jean Renoir. Kinda like The Killers set they released awhile back.
Old 12-16-03, 01:11 PM

Criterion's Jon Mulvaney has said (barring something unforeseen) that this will definitely be out in 2004. Like lesterlong says, some of us have idly speculated that the reason for the delay was so that Criterion could add to the release. Both Kurosawa's The Lower Depths and Jean Renoir's Les Bas-fonds are based on the same Russian play by Maxim Gorky, so they would complement each other nicely.

However, the delay may have been for purely technical reasons (or rights issues), and the specs may end up being exactly the same (Criterion has neither confirmed nor denied that the Renoir will be part of this release).
Old 12-16-03, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Imagine my confusion when I RAN to the store to find this and it was nowhere... DAMN YOU GODS OF DVD!

I really can't wait to see this. Where does John Mulvaney post about these things? I didn't see a forum at criterionco.com. Am I missing it?
Old 12-16-03, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Kerborus
I really can't wait to see this. Where does John Mulvaney post about these things? I didn't see a forum at criterionco.com. Am I missing it?
Here's where I go to get my Criterion info fix: http://pub125.ezboard.com/bcriterioncollectionforum
Old 12-16-03, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally posted by Kerborus
Imagine my confusion when I RAN to the store to find this and it was nowhere... DAMN YOU GODS OF DVD!

Mail from Mulvaney

Answers regarding releases are condensed here: Forthcoming Criterion List (No Speculation!)
Old 12-16-03, 04:04 PM

From the November 2003 exclusive interview with John Mulvaney (Part II) at the Criterion Collection Forum:
Question: 2003 was a very strong year for Criterion and fans expect 2004 to bring just as many great titles, including ones by Criterion stalwarts Bergman, Buñuel, Godard, Kurosawa, Ozu, Renoir, Truffaut, and Varda, new favorites Bresson and Melville, as well as rumored debut entries in the Collection from Franju, Russ Meyer, Rohmer, and Visconti. That's already quite a slate of big names, but can you give us any hints about some other exciting upcoming titles?

Answer: Hmmm... well, at the moment, 2004 looks terrific. Very eclectic. A number of tried-and-true favorites and quite a few new names. Some monstrous classics of world cinema and some more obscure gems. I would say a number of surprises, but the folks at the Criterion Forum are so resourceful that we can rarely catch you unawares.

What’s in the works? One dog, one cat, one bird, two Sicilians, three women, four cops, five films never before on home video (at least), and six hours of suffering. Not to mention a couple of masks, a mamma, and a messiah. And The Lower Depths.