Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Burns and Allen 5 disc collection coming 2/24/04

Old 12-15-03, 12:41 PM

Does anyone know of a contact ph# or Website address for Koch.
They are the distributors of this 5 disc set and I would like to find out the episode list and extras (If any)-

Columbia needs to get off there duff and put this series as part of a DVD collection- (It is a series that is a classic and deserves DVD exposure)
Old 12-15-03, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I really hope this set isn't yet another repackaging of some of the early live shows preserved on Kinescope. Some of them have fallen in to the public domain, and there are poor versions out there. Plus, while they are interesting, the show improved immensely when they began to shoot it on film in 1952.

I agree, the series is hilarious and I would buy the filmed episodes in a second.
Old 12-15-03, 01:48 PM

Email: Koch Entertainment
Koch Vision Website

This is being released by Passport & distributed by Koch. The retail is 30 bucks (for 5 discs).

DVD Empire describes it as
This fabulous five-DVD collection brings you the very best of George Burns and Gracie Allen from their classic '50s TV sitcom, The Burns & Allen Show, say g'night Gracie!
They list the running time at 300 minutes--probably two episodes per disc.

Given Passport's track record, I wouldn't get your hopes too high ...
Old 12-15-03, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Crap I just bought the boxset because of the Fincher cut and now another one is on the way. Thanks a lot Fox.
Old 12-15-03, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by RyoHazuki7
Crap I just bought the boxset because of the Fincher cut and now another one is on the way. Thanks a lot Fox.
You're so not funny dude....
Old 12-15-03, 09:38 PM

Maybe he has a medical condition we don't know of.
Old 12-16-03, 05:39 PM

I just got a response from Koch:
stay away from this one- It's more of the same old tired episodes- when will Columbia release the older episodes?

BURNS AND ALLEN COLLECTION
Disc One

FIRST SHOW - In this rare, very first episode of the Burns and Allen Show from 1950, George explains the premise of their TV series and the dynamics of his rapport with Gracie. Veteran character actor Henry Jones guest stars as an encyclopedia salesman.

GRACIE'S TAX RETURN - The tax assessor pays the Burns household a visit and becomes confused by Gracie's loopy logic. Guest star is Bob Sweeney, who would soon co-star in Our Miss Brooks.

Disc Two

SPEECH WRITER - George keeps getting interrupted while he's trying to write an important speech and Gracie tries to enroll some rambunctious children in a private school.

GRACIE'S CHECKING ACCOUNT - A frustrated bank officer drops by the house to try and straighten out Gracie's wacky bookkeeping methods and Gracie gets a traffic ticket.

Disc Three

GRACIE'S WEDDING PLANS - Gracie agrees to throw a wedding for the daughter of a friend - right in the Burns home - and George has to contend with a fussy French caterer.

TEEN VISIT - The Burns' banker lets his teenage daughter stay with George and Gracie for the weekend. Burns and Allen get a chance to show off some fancy footwork at the end.

Disc Four

SWAMI - Gracie decides to divorce George after misinterpreting a fortune teller's prediction. Walter Woolf King, who played the villain in the Marx Brothers classic A Night At The Opera, is Gracie's attorney.

BEVERLY HILLS SOCIETY - Gracie misuses the rent money for The Beverly Hills Uplift Society, so the ladies hold their meeting in the Burns home.

Disc Five

HOLLYWOOD COUPLES: GEORGE BURNS AND GRACIE ALLEN - A fascinating documentary focusing on the lives of George and Gracie onscreen and especially off. Rare clips and photos tell their story, including a look at Burns and Allen's lives before they met, as well as Burns' phenomenally successful solo career after his beloved Gracie's untimely passing.
Old 12-16-03, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yup, these are the same PD kinescopes again.

Bring on the filmed shows!
Old 12-16-03, 09:02 PM

I already got 6 of the episodes brtcmfn posted on tape, and maybe the rest on a DVD set I will get next week. I want to see some of the older episodes, haven't seen any of them.