Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

I want to mutilate my Hitchcock Criterion boxset

Old 12-13-03, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Got my Hitchcock Criterion boxset from DDD today, so I can officially . Getting five Hitchcock Criterion titles for less than $15 each and just before they're going OOP is a great reason. (Tho I almost didn't get it. I thought that DDD didn't carry the boxset because I searched for Hitchcock, Criterion, even searched By Director. Wasn't until I saw someone else order it on the DDD 20% thread that I looked for it by "Wrong Men and Notorious Women".)

Anyway....about the mutilation.

The boxset is open on the bottom! Unless I remove the box from the shelf taking that into consideration, all the cases easily slip out from the box. Sure, I know about it, but if anyone else pulls it out before I realize, some embarassed apologies will ensue.

I figure that if I make a Y-shaped incision on the far end of the box so that I can fold in the sides and top, glue those flaps down, cut a new piece of pasteboard for the bottom with flaps on three sides and glue the original top panel to the side it meets I'll have a better functioning and structurally stronger box.

Has anyone tried this or will I be the first? Any recommendations will be appreciated and I'll post pics of the operation later if anyone's interested.

Just a sidenote: Does Criterion have separate distribution rights for individual titles and boxsets? This occured to me since they can distribute The 400 Blows as part of the Antoine Doinel set.
Old 12-13-03, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: In my secret underground lair, plotting to TAKE OVER THE WORLD!!! Bwuaaahahahaha!!
The discs in the box sets are exactly the same as the individual discs, from what I can tell. I would assume that packing a group of discs together wouldn't require any extra rights...

I am planning on just storing my Criterion box as the individual discs, and sticking the box in storage. That way ALL of my Criterions will be in numerical order (Yep, you heard right, all 16 of 'em! )
Old 12-13-03, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: In a small pocket universe hoping to someday become a Moderator Emeritus at DVDTalk.com!

It's what Alfred Hitchcock would have wanted.... Murder Most Foul on your Boxset!
Old 12-14-03, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

When I got the Kurosawa boxset, I did what littlefuzzy mentions. Just took 'em out, put them with my other Criterions and the box is safely in storage.
Old 12-14-03, 12:27 AM

The Hitchcocks and Kurosawas aren't true "box sets" by Criterion standards--these flimsy cardstock sleeves are simply retail packaging designed to be thrown away. "True" Criterion box sets come in either heavy cardboard display boxes (Dreyer, Orphic, Eisenstein Sound Years), elegant plastic slipcases (Brazil), or brilliantly designed Digipak cases (Antoine Doinel, Fassbinder).

If you really want to modify the packaging so you can display the Hitchcock DVDs in it, have at it. Otherwise, it is no act of heresy to dispose of it (as was intended).

Last edited by FilmFanSea; 12-14-03 at 12:32 AM.
Old 12-14-03, 12:29 AM

I have the same set and I just store the box on its side to avoid the problem you mentioned (cases falling out when removing it from the shelf).

You could just get a big rubber band and wrap it around the box to hold the cases in place - not a perfect solution but it beats mutilating the box.

Roy
Old 12-14-03, 03:42 AM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Put them out on the shelf with the other Criterions and leave the slip box on top of your 6' bookshelf for decoration
Old 12-14-03, 09:58 AM

I would be interested in pics of the final outcomes, it sounds interesting.
Old 12-14-03, 05:26 PM
Suspended

Someone posted here a long time ago with a link to a guy who makes really nice custom criterion dvd cases. Anybody have that link?
Old 12-14-03, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by PortlandFilmGuy
Someone posted here a long time ago with a link to a guy who makes really nice custom criterion dvd cases. Anybody have that link?
You mean Paul Champagne? Nice, but I don't feel like spending $30 for a box, especially one that looks nice like that. I'd start convincing myself that I need more.
Old 12-15-03, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Tadaaaa!

A little more meticulous than I figured and I found that contact cement doesn't work very well with paper (Go with Elmer's extra strength gel Office Glue Stick). But the DVD cases fit more snugly inside than before since I split that side, where the opening is now, down the middle and folded the resulting flaps in. Well worth the effort, I think.

Not the first box set I've modified.

Last edited by RKillgore; 12-15-03 at 09:13 PM.
Old 12-15-03, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by FilmFanSea
The Hitchcocks and Kurosawas aren't true "box sets" by Criterion standards--these flimsy cardstock sleeves are simply retail packaging designed to be thrown away.
that's what i did. granted it was hard to throw away but the box really isn't meant to be used!
Old 12-16-03, 12:13 AM

I had a question, I just opened my set I got from DDD and each DVD's upc has a hole punched through it. That seems very unclassy considering these are 'expensive Criterion' DVDs. Why and who would do that? DDD? It looks terrible...
Old 12-16-03, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by leland
I had a question, I just opened my set I got from DDD and each DVD's upc has a hole punched through it. That seems very unclassy considering these are 'expensive Criterion' DVDs. Why and who would do that? DDD? It looks terrible...
I believe that is done before it gets to the retailers to keep anyone from selling the discs seperately (since individual discs sell for more). Same thing was done to my Jurassic Park Trilogy . . . I wasn't very happy about it . . .

Last edited by talemyn; 12-16-03 at 12:54 AM.
Old 12-16-03, 12:28 AM

Originally posted by leland
I received my set from Digitaleyes.net a couple of months ago in the exact same condition. I made a post about it and a few people replied that they also received their set in this condition from various retailers - so it looks like some of the Hitchcock sets are just sent out like this by Criterion, for whatever reason. I decided to keep mine rather than going through the hassle of returning it.

Here is the thread:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=329044

Roy

Last edited by Roy28; 12-16-03 at 12:34 AM.
Old 12-16-03, 12:31 AM

Thanks, just read through that thread. I figured that is what happened, but like others said, it still looks ugly... But I'll live with it.
Old 12-16-03, 01:30 PM

If you have time to be bothered by the appearance of the UPC code on your DVDs, you have time to watch your DVDs more.
Old 12-16-03, 06:11 PM

Originally posted by TheHistorian
If you have time to be bothered by the appearance of the UPC code on your DVDs, you have time to watch your DVDs more.
I don't see anything wrong with someone being particular about the condition of their DVD's. Most people would return/exchange any other type of damaged merchandise (Furniture, Electonics, Appliances, etc.) if they had purchased it as new - even it the damage was only cosmetic and the item still worked properly. That's why there are "scratch and dent" sales.

In the case of dvd's, some people don't care if the case/artwork is damaged or if the disc is scratched - they are happy as long as it plays properly, which is fine. On the other hand, some people don't want to receive a marred/damaged case or disc, even if the movie still plays perfectly.

Personally, I'm very obsessive about the condition of the DVD's I purchase. When I buy a disc at a b&m store I check it carefully for any kind of imperfections/damage, etc. I'm a little more forgiving when I buy online - if the cover has a minor dent or scuff, etc, I'll just keep it (I'm not a total freak) rather than going through the hassle of returning it. However, if there is any significant damage (slashed spines, a gash in the cover, etc.) or especially if the disc is loose - it gets returned immediately. Besides, if you ever decide to sell or trade the disc at a later time, any kind of case damage or disc scuffs/scratches will diminish the value.

Roy

Last edited by Roy28; 12-16-03 at 06:16 PM.
Old 12-16-03, 11:04 PM

I can't believe I'm actually replying to this thread but...

One could argue that price of the set is discounted to cover the damaged upc...
Old 12-17-03, 12:12 AM

Originally posted by TELawrence
I can't believe I'm actually replying to this thread but...

One could argue that price of the set is discounted to cover the damaged upc...
One could only argue this if the price of the damaged sets was discounted more than the price of the sealed/non-damaged sets, which is not the case. The price is the same - it's just the luck of the draw which one you get.

In any case, I agree with you that this thread has gotten off-topic.

Roy
Old 12-17-03, 02:19 AM

Psycho

I have a nice laserdisc of Psycho from a while back (obviously!!) with a nice "making of" documentary complete with interviews with Janet Leigh et al. Is this version of Psycho now available on DVD?
Old 12-17-03, 02:41 AM

Re: Psycho

Originally posted by Muir Hewitt
I have a nice laserdisc of Psycho from a while back (obviously!!) with a nice "making of" documentary complete with interviews with Janet Leigh et al. Is this version of Psycho now available on DVD?
Yes, it's on Universal's Psycho: Collector's Edition (The Alfred Hitchcock Collection)