Community
Search

Red Dwarf News: Series IV Extras!

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-03, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red Dwarf News: Series IV Extras!

From the official site today... PersonallY I cannot wait for these two sets, things seem to just get better and better! Well worth the wait I think.

As strange to be looking at a list of extras this way. Fans who have followed the progress of the Series IV DVD extras will know that this content was completed and delivered to the BBC back in July - which may seem early, but believe me when I tell you that, because of authoring, certification and subtitling, a single day more would have meant missing release dates!

So it is with a strange sense of nostalgia that we can announce the full extras list for Series IV - 'strange' because, of course, the DVD isn't actually out yet, it's due for release on February 16th.

In the intervening time, fear not - reddwarf.co.uk will be providing details of the cover art, CG menu designs, chapter points and deleted scenes, not to mention the usual quiz, Toaster interviews and desktop wallpaper. The best is, indeed, yet to come. For now, though, feast your eyes on the extras list:

Cast Commentary Featuring Chris Barrie, Craig Charles, Danny John-Jules, Robert Llewellyn and Hattie Hayridge.

Built to Last A brand new, episode-by-episode documentary charting in-depth the making of Red Dwarf IV.

Deleted Scenes Over 20 minutes of cut footage from Series IV.

Smeg Ups A compilation of outtakes and fluffs.

Ace Rimmer - A Life In Lamé Holly charts the history of the inter-dimensional hero.

"Lurve" Featurette Despite being three million years into deep space, Lister still finds chances for tonsil hockey - mostly with ugly GELFs...

Can't Smeg Won't Smeg Ainsley Harriott boards Starbug as Lister and Kryten take on Rimmer and Duane Dibbley in a climactic curry contest.

Trailers Two trailers for the show, now only archived by dedicated fans on VHS and retrieved for this DVD.

Special Effects Footage A compilation of raw effects footage.

Isolated Music Cues Instant access to the various elements of
Red Dwarf IV's music score.

Talking Book Chapters Selected sections of the books, read by Chris Barrie, which delve even deeper into ideas from the series.

Photo Gallery A mighty collection of production, effects and behind-the-scenes images.

Weblink Link to the official website - which includes a production diary for this very DVD.

Subtitles English subtitles for episodes and extras.

Easter Eggs Several bonus extras will be hidden within the DVD menus - can you find them all?

Overall it's a package that matches up to the equally-impressive Series III, and maybe even improves on it a little. Lurve is my favourite of the musical featurettes by far, and Built to Last contains some great moments with our 11 interviewees - particularly the group recollection of Danny arriving late on Paul Jackson's one and only directing day...

The raw FX footage shows, closer-up, the garden/park area on Justice World, lingers on Ace's Ionian base, and includes Starbug firing its nuclear charge for the climax in White Hole. Speaking of which, there are some great discoveries among the music cues, including Howard Goodall's original - and very different - scoring for the planet pool sequence.

Gallery pictures are by Mike Vaughan - who would remain the Dwarf photographer from this point on, setting an image style for the show - and also include unseen design pics by Mike Tucker. And deleted scenes... well, we'll cover those another time.
Old 12-12-03, 10:38 PM

smegtastic!
Old 12-13-03, 01:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

One of my fav tv shows of all time. I cant wait .
Old 12-13-03, 04:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Got mine ordered! Found that ordering from amazon.com with Share The Love and free shipping beats amazon.ca with $5 Canadian coupon plus international shipping charges.

Link to the DVDTalk STL thread for Red Dwarf 3&4
Old 12-14-03, 06:41 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by RKillgore
Got mine ordered! Found that ordering from amazon.com with Share The Love and free shipping beats amazon.ca with $5 Canadian coupon plus international shipping charges.

Link to the DVDTalk STL thread for Red Dwarf 3&4
Got mine ordered too. Pricegrabber and dvdpricesearch have Amazon listed as the best price. With STL it's even better.

Rammsteinfan, thank you so much for all of the great information you've been providing us. It really is alot easier to read your summaries than to wade through some Red Dwarf sites.
Old 12-14-03, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Not a problem... I am a die hard dwarf fan since 1988 and just love to hear anything and everything about the show.
Old 12-14-03, 06:27 PM

February 16th can't get here soon enough. &nbsp I think I'm beginning to wear out the discs for Series I and II! &nbsp
Old 12-15-03, 07:20 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Deckard-10
February 16th can't get here soon enough. &nbsp I think I'm beginning to wear out the discs for Series I and II! &nbsp
Same here. 8 more weeks. My 10 year old daughter caught the bug. She's even now calling her friends smeghead and git. Even though she asked about it, I decided not to call too much attention to the reverse peace sign the skutters do. We do have a few British ex-pats in town.
Old 12-15-03, 01:30 PM
Banned

I love these. I just wish they would be released faster, but I can't argue with the quality. So, I will wait patiently.
Old 12-15-03, 09:05 PM

Originally posted by EPKJ
I love these. I just wish they would be released faster, but I can't argue with the quality. So, I will wait patiently.
I'll second that. A question though, aren't they supposed to be released on February 3rd? Amazon and other etailers confirm the 3rd. Also February 16th is a Monday...strange.
Old 12-15-03, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Feb 16th is the UK release date... ours is the 3rd. We get it earlier then they do.
Old 12-16-03, 11:01 AM

Has anyone listened to the 'talking book chapters' on the available discs?
I was wondering how long they are and if they, when put together, will span the entire book. Or are they just excerpts?

Cheers
Old 12-16-03, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.
Received 1,077 Likes on 676 Posts
Originally posted by aam1
Has anyone listened to the 'talking book chapters' on the available discs?
I was wondering how long they are and if they, when put together, will span the entire book. Or are they just excerpts?

Cheers
As somebody who has read the books I can tell you that they are, indeed, just excerpts. The first "talking book chapter" does not begin at the beginning of the first book.

I have to add, though, they are well worth the listen if only to hear Chris Barrie impersonate the rest of the cast. Really good stuff.

Also, if you can find the books they are a great read and really expand on the show.
Old 12-17-03, 06:36 AM

Did you notice how long they are? I am planning on copying them to listen to in the car. The timer function on the dvd player doesn't work.

Cheers