Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Does Criterion always release this many discs a month?

Old 12-12-03, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I have JUST caught with the previously-released Criterion (minus the 10 that are out of print).

I'm looking at the release schedule coming up:

January Criterion:
M. Hulot's Holiday
Mon Oncle
Ikiru
Rules of the Game

February:
Maitresse
Diary of a Country Priest
Tunes of Glory
Pickup on South Street
Le Corbeau
Salvatore Giuliano
Richard III

That's eleven DVDs in two months. Does that mean Criterion's releasing around 66 DVDs next year? Or is it going to slow down?

BTW when you have Criterions that are released in a boxset but you have purchased them individually, how do you get the box alone? (yeah, yeah, just for the spine number)
Old 12-12-03, 10:26 AM
Banned

Criterion doesn't normally put out that many. So I would expect a strong year next year with lots of Criterion titles. How would you go about getting a box? Try eBay maybe.
Old 12-12-03, 10:45 AM

None of the Criterions that are released in a boxset where the box is numbered are available individually, unless you bought them used from someplace that broke up the box.

If you're thinking about the Kurosawa and Hitchcock repackages, those are really flimsy boxes and neither has a spine number.
Old 12-12-03, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by TheHistorian
None of the Criterions that are released in a boxset where the box is numbered are available individually, unless you bought them used from someplace that broke up the box.

If you're thinking about the Kurosawa and Hitchcock repackages, those are really flimsy boxes and neither has a spine number.
Ah, thanks Since on the the website they were listed individually also (i.e. Monterey Pop), I thought they were sold individually also.
Old 12-12-03, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Good lord, someone just went on a Criterion spree... The Netflix thing didn't pan out, huh?
Old 12-12-03, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by illennium
Good lord, someone just went on a Criterion spree... The Netflix thing didn't pan out, huh?
Yikes, thanks for reminding me I have to cancel

I figured I'd rather have the DVDs
Old 12-12-03, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Remember that the 2 Tatis are rereleases, so there's a lot less work to do on those particular titles.
And I'd bet money that at least a couple of the February titles will be delayed.
I got all the Tatis when they were first released, but January's still looking great!
Crap, and to think this time last year I was only missing 2 (Flesh For Frankenstein & Salo). Time to play catch-up.
Old 12-12-03, 11:20 AM
Banned

This is par for the course with Criterion. All these releases are due to 3 things:

1. They released no titles in December. They never release titles in December unless they were delayed from November. I guess this is when the CC folks go to Tahiti

2. Those 2 Tati releases in Jan. are identical rereleases. They don't have to do any more work on them...they're done.

3. Criterion often announces a lot of titles and then delays hold up 2 or 3 of them. Expect at least 2 of those Feb. titles to get pushed to March or beyond.
Old 12-12-03, 11:20 AM

Originally posted by whaaat
Remember that the 2 Tatis are rereleases, so there's a lot less work to do on those particular titles.
And I'd bet money that at least a couple of the February titles will be delayed.
I got all the Tatis when they were first released, but January's still looking great!
snip ..
Good points. Also remember that Rules of the Game was delayed when they found a better print. So without these three titles - January would be no big thing.

Deb,

You certainly have been on a big Criterion build haven't you?

In past years, spring/fall have been the big Criterion release periods. Summer releases are generally lighter. As their films are not summer blockbuster types, this makes sense.
Old 12-12-03, 11:21 AM

Just to get this out of the way...

[Class316] Who care how many they release, they're all overpriced crap... [Class316]

_

Nah, that many discs are definitely not normal for Criterion. Pretty amazing though.
Old 12-12-03, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Anyone know the best place to get the 10 out of print? In 2 or 3 years I'm just going to bite the bullet and buy the $600 Salo etc I'll do OT first and once I have the ~$5000 buy all 10 of them.
Old 12-12-03, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

GatorDeb has stolen my heart. First an X-Files marathon and now a Criterion bloodbath! I admire you woman!
Old 12-12-03, 02:09 PM

(tongue firmly against cheek)

I think you should buy them all now. Forget about super DVDs coming down the pike. Forget about the decent possibility of Criterion (or someone else) re-releasing (a la 400 Blows) or producing an upgraded release (a la Playtime) of these films.

Forget about buying them in 3 years. If you don't buy them all now you risk never getting them. All out-of-print films are top 20 films on anyone's list - none better. You could be paying $2,000 down the line for each title.

and other stuff too.

Last edited by ctyankee; 12-13-03 at 09:54 AM.
Old 12-12-03, 04:15 PM
MrN

Criterion release dates should always be taken with a grain of salt.
Old 12-12-03, 10:23 PM

Isn't The Battle of Algiers also on Criterion's January schedule?
Old 12-12-03, 10:56 PM
Premium Member

Originally posted by GatorDeb
Anyone know the best place to get the 10 out of print? In 2 or 3 years I'm just going to bite the bullet and buy the $600 Salo etc I'll do OT first and once I have the ~$5000 buy all 10 of them.
Just trying to be helpful.. Try and find a way to watch Salo before spending that many Benjamins on it.
Old 12-12-03, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by angryyoungman
Isn't The Battle of Algiers also on Criterion's January schedule?
Nope, that's a January THEATRICAL release. Criterion will probably do the DVD about 6 months later.

Dan
Old 12-13-03, 05:42 AM
I Don't Use Spoiler Tags

imagine if every dvd was numbered I wonder what half of the "criterion collectors" would do I still do not get it
Old 12-13-03, 02:58 PM
MrN

Originally posted by Corky Roxbury
imagine if every dvd was numbered I wonder what half of the "criterion collectors" would do I still do not get it

Actually every DVD is - its the UPC.

Seriously, other companies have their own numbers - but in Criterion's case its a matter of quality and collectibility.

Last edited by MrN; 12-17-03 at 06:01 PM.
Old 12-16-03, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Well said MrN. It is about quality, collectability, and consumerism.

I'm trying to help the economy and defeat terrorism.