Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

anyone else enjoying the lull in the release schedule?

Old 12-10-03, 05:24 AM

I am glad the Fall release schedule is winding down. My wallet is suffering from terminal meltdown

I looked back on November, and realized I had dropped over $600 on approximately 37 different releases last month.... WOW

So now I am concentrating on recovery for the next couple of months. Thankfully there are only a few must have titles over the next 2 months or so......

Anyone else enjoying this "lull"?
Old 12-10-03, 05:33 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
I hear you. My wallet was taking major impacts. Even with a killer deal on alien quadrilogy from the fox studio, it's been one of those seasons. My main month of major pick up will be feb.

Lost in translation and kill bill off the top of my head. till then it's time to breath.
Old 12-10-03, 05:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yes the break is giving my wallet a much needed cooling off and it's giving me a chance to actually watch all the stuff I've bought. I'm actually amazed at how light January looks (B5 & ST6 being the only titles I'm excited about) but I'm not complaining.
Old 12-10-03, 05:53 AM
Banned

I am still catching up on August and November releases.
Old 12-10-03, 06:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I think my unwatched pile is starting to get as big as the watched.

Having off all X-Mas week will help put a big dent in that pile.

So, yup, I'm enjoying the lull.
Old 12-10-03, 06:50 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I haven't really been enjoying it since I've been using this downtime to catch up on all the CDs I haven't been buying. Plus a Gamecube game here and there, I'm probably worse off right now than when I'm getting my 2 DVDs a week.
Old 12-10-03, 06:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Thank goodness the Disney Treasures got delayed.
Old 12-10-03, 07:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I am extremely glad the lull is going on right now. My collection jumped up in numbers quite a bit over the past couple of months.
Old 12-10-03, 08:28 AM

It's the calm before the storm of January. For me at least, January is going to be brutal with a huge number of new releases that I just "have to have."
Old 12-10-03, 08:44 AM

Definitely enjoying it....

I think my unwatched pile is starting to get as big as the watched.
Same here... plus, I saved all my Christmas DVD's that I bought throughout the year for this month so I have those to watch now as well....

Still a couple releases I'm really looking forward to for December like...

"South Park - The Complete Third Season"

&

"Seabiscuit"

The funny thing is though, I've never had a smaller wishlist / list of upcoming releases than I do now.... that's sort of a bummer.

I would personally label 2003 the "Year of the DVD". This has been without a doubt my favorite year to be a DVD fanatic
Old 12-10-03, 09:04 AM

YES! Merciful God! Especially after I dropped so much cash on the DDD sale, and still have xmas shopping to do. I second the relief that the Disney Treasures have been pushed back. Honestly, with all of that DDD sale stuff on it's way to me, including the Alien Quad box, I don't think I'll NEED anything new for a year. Holy crap!
Old 12-10-03, 09:06 AM

I'm glad for the lull. I have been going none-stop since like August or so. Time to give the wallet a rest...
Old 12-10-03, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Definitely. Last month was nuts for me. I picked up close to 20 DVDs.
Old 12-10-03, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I really can't say I'm enjoying the "lull" since my credit cards are still weighed down by the "non-lull".
Old 12-10-03, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Absolutely! I bought Rage Against The Machine's new dvd for $9.99 yesterday and will get the Seabiscuit LE next week but otherwise that is it until Feb.3 when the Ed Wood and Planet of The Apes SE's are released. I spent more on dvd's in Nov. than I ever have in one month and I've been buying them since Sept. 97.
Old 12-10-03, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't know how much it has lulled. Last week I dropped down for Alias Season 2, the Alien Quadrilogy, and POTC. Next week I will probably end up with South Park Season 3, LXG, and Seabiscuit. It looks like things slow down after Christmas though
Old 12-10-03, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The 'lull' in the new releases that may have appealed to me have allowed me to catch up with some earlier/past releases that have so far passed me by.
Old 12-10-03, 01:05 PM

I'm glad as well. I'd gotten used to TV series being spaced out because of the X-Files. This year I've been buying Deep Space 9, and keeping up with that sure felt spendy. I still want to get The Next Generation, but I just don't feel like dropping over $600 at one time. There's nothing else coming out this month that I want until after Christmas.
Old 12-10-03, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think I'm in a permanent lull. I have all the older movies I grew up with and would want -- so the only things left to buy are new releases, and buy-worthy ones are way too far inbetween.
Old 12-10-03, 01:22 PM
Banned

Yeah...I'm enjoying the lull in releases...able to order some old titles I've been meaning to get for a long time...mainly some Criterions...

I probably spent $800 in Oct. and Nov. on DVD's...

Only thing Im getting this month is South Park S3 and LXG...and Im not in a big hurry to get either...
Old 12-10-03, 02:01 PM
SeeNo Member

Feb. 3rd is gonna kill my wallet but other than that I am also enjoying the lull.
Old 12-10-03, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm being lulled into debt by the DDD coupons and other great bargains, picking up "catalog items". And yes Feb. 3rd IS going to be expensive for me too.
Old 12-10-03, 02:40 PM

I can sympathize with those who are now paying down their credit cards after all the releases this fall. I was fortunate in that my ebay selling funded all my purchases since august. Thank God for that, or I too would be paying down some killer credit bills. Along with record profits on Ebay though, come record fees and payments made to Ebay and Paypal

Since I had done such a good job of keeping up with my purchases as they were released, the DDD sale didn't hit me as hard. I took the opportunity to pick up 3 catalog titles that are notoriously hard to find in the stores. That was the only order I placed in the sale.
Old 12-10-03, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

not much of a "lull". this week featured few new releases I wanted....but I really see no "lull". anytime there are weak releases for the week...I just turn my focus to imports and back catalog titles. theres always something for me to add to my library...ALWAYS!! no, I bought nothing this week as far as NR's are concerned. I still ended up with 4 orders of imports and such...for a total of 13 dvds.

I NEVER use credit cards for dvds. just another bill I'd have to worry about. wasted stress. I pay cash for just about everything. if I'm going to own it...it's paid for as soon as it hits my library shelf. Gutwrencher + Credit=bad news.

I'd rather use my cards for an emergency only.
Old 12-10-03, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Once crap like Pirates of the Caribbean and Bad Boys II rolled in, it was safe to say my wallet wasn't in jeopardy no more.

But damn, those weeks with T3, Nemo, LOTR:EE, DMB Central Park and so forth were very rough. I'm glad to the rush of titles are over...now lookin' forward to Kill Bill and Bad Santa early next year.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.