Reload this Page >

Question about Goldenthal Score on New Cut of ALIEN 3

Community
Search

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-03, 03:24 PM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As I patiently wait for my $58.55 shipment of THE ALIEN QUADRILOGY from DeepDiscountDVD (yes, you might as well curse me...I'm sexy, too! ), I find myself increasingly curious how Elliot Goldenthal's extraordinary and utterly freakish (in a good way) music score for ALIEN 3 has been handled. I ask because I remember reading an article wherein David Fincher's original vision of the film purposely contained no score whatsoever, but the studio was repelled at such an unorthodox creative preference and disallowed it. Since the idea behind the new cut of the film was to return it back as closely as possible to his original vision, I was curious which of the following scenarios most accurately describes how the score has been handled:

1) The score has been completely removed from the film, as per Fincher's alleged original vision.

2) The score remains as it was in the theatrical scenes, but all new footage is sans scoring.

3) The score remains as it was in the theatrical scenes, and the exact same pre-existing score is recycled into the new footage.

4) The score remains as it was in the theatrical scenes, and entirely new Goldenthal music underscores the new footage.

Thanks for satiating an impatiently waiting ALIEN fan's curiosity...
Old 12-06-03, 02:26 PM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
36,134 forum members and not a single taker?
Old 12-06-03, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just finished watching the new cut and from what I can tell the new scenes have preexisting score tracked into them, but it is very well done IMO.
Old 12-06-03, 04:34 PM
Banned

Yeah, a couple of people over at the Home Theater Forum said the same thing, though one took issue with how the score was applied to the newly re-edited sequence wherein
Spoiler:
Ripley checks out
, saying the music doesn't match up to the new cut quite right, and as a result, the scene doesn't evoke the emotionality it did in the original theatrical edit. He was kind of vague on the point, but I hope he's wrong...
Old 12-08-03, 01:58 AM
Cool New Member

What ever happened to isolated music scores? Like for the first Alien DVD. It's too bad they didn't implement that feature for this set, especially for Alien 3. I don't care for Goldenthal's Batman scores, but I consider his music for Alien 3 to be bold, emotional, captivating, and fits the movie like a glove.

In addition to an isolated music score, it would've been nice if they presented the option of a music-less dialogue-only track, in accordance with Fincher's original intent. But I guess we're fortunate to have his original version in some form at all.
Old 12-08-03, 05:05 AM
Banned

Its like a whole new movie...there doesnt appear to be much if any new score though...what a wonderful score it is...
Old 12-09-03, 10:53 AM
Banned

Uh, Qui-Gon, just to lend a helping hand, it should be:

"Because I choose to" - Neo: Matrix Revolutions (though it's still a faulty sentence, since it ends with a preposition)

instead of:

"Because I choose, too" - Neo: Matrix Revolutions (which indicates he chooses "also" or "as well as")

Do you guys think Melena would have chosen me?
Old 12-09-03, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

You forgot about the fact thay the sentence is actually a dependent clause, an even greater error.
Old 12-09-03, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
..and the fact that it came from Matrix Revolutions. *shudder*