Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Star Wars Trilogy VCD Box

Old 12-07-03, 12:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ADMIN NOTE:

He's not talking about bootlegs... he's talking about VCDs. This discussion is okay. - Static
Anyone know anything about these? I found that this set can be had for about $24, but nothing else about it. Should I get this or not?
Old 12-07-03, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

BOOTLEGS ARE NOT ALLOWED TO BE DISCUSSED ON THIS FORUM
Old 12-07-03, 12:20 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't think what he's talking about are bootlegs.

There were some legit asian (korean I think) VCDs of the OT that were released in the early '90s
Old 12-07-03, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

VCD quality is mediocre at best. Not sure its really worth it.
Old 12-07-03, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Re: Star Wars Trilogy VCD Box

Originally posted by svrasputin
Anyone know anything about these? I found that this set can be had for about $24, but nothing else about it. Should I get this or not?
You should read the rules of the forum first.
Old 12-07-03, 01:13 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by neiname
BOOTLEGS ARE NOT ALLOWED TO BE DISCUSSED ON THIS FORUM
These are not bootlegs, in fact all the SW movies can be found on legit VCD movies. I have the PM on VCD, its only in fullscreen. The picture is okay, but nothing to brag about. VHS would be better in this case.
Old 12-07-03, 01:18 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Re: Star Wars Trilogy VCD Box

Originally posted by svrasputin
Outside of the set looking nice (provided it is not damaged when its shipped), the discs are useless in the A/V dept.

They get really blocky during the action scenes, and aren't worth spending the money on unless you are a diehard collector, or don't care about the quality.
Old 12-07-03, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

they are P&S.
Old 12-07-03, 02:13 PM
Banned

R VCD no good then?
Old 12-07-03, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by B.S.Preston,ESQ
R VCD no good then?
No good. Get DVDs.
Old 12-07-03, 02:34 PM

Yeah, I have these. They are NOT bootlegs, but really aren't worth getting either. The sound is pretty good, but the video really isn't. As another poster said, the video gets pretty blocky at times. You'd be better of just sticking the VHS, or waiting to see what materializes next year with DVDs
Old 12-07-03, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

As much as I love DVDTalk, and as much of an invaluable assett it is me and my dvd collecting, there is one thing that constantly irks me here. It's when people decide to open their big fat mouths when they don't have a clue as to what they're talking about.

THE STAR WARS OT 6-DISC VCD SET IS NOT
BOOTLEG MATERIAL!
As mentioned above, in other regions of the world, there are tons of movies licensed for VCD production. They can be bought at major e-tailers all over the net.

I bought this set of VCDs about 2 years ago. They do suck compared to dvd, but they ARE better than vhs... unless you have one of those really fancy and expensive professional quality vcrs. As for most people, it's just ever so slightly better than vhs. The set comes in a cardboard box, not bad looking, but nothing fancy. Each movie is on 2 discs, because of course you can't fit as much info on vcds as you can dvds. Each movie also is packaged in a jewel case (like a cd), with artwork too (again, like a cd). I didn't own the set very long and can't remember if there were extra features on the discs or not. If you have to have these movies, I would suggest not buying this set, but yet trying to obtain them on a better form of media.
Old 12-07-03, 02:58 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Only extra was an Episode I featurette.
Old 12-07-03, 03:52 PM
Banned

Re: Re: Star Wars Trilogy VCD Box

Originally posted by wfujosh
You should read the rules of the forum first.
Thanks for taking the time to read my post.
Old 12-07-03, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Some folks need to actually READ THE ACTUAL THREAD. He speaks the truth, there is a Legit Star Wars Special edition VCD set that was released by Lucas himself. hmm, I wonder if I have it on me here so I can take some pictures of it.

It came out in the last wave of VHS tapes of the trilogy and as for the look.. well it's P&S, two disc per film and the quality is slightly better then VHS.

Edit: Nope, must still be back in florida. Here are some pictures of it and if you do get it, you will notice a huge Lucas film copy right seal of approval on the back of it. over all, it's a decent set. I picked it up simply because it was 20 bucks through fox studio store some time back.

Last edited by Jackskeleton; 12-07-03 at 04:07 PM.
Old 12-07-03, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
I have this set and although it is Pan & Scan, the video quality is on par with VHS tapes. Many people's perception is that VCDs are poor quality. (in comparison to DVDs... sure there is a noticeable difference)

Oftentimes, it has more to do with the ability of their DVD players to play VCDs properly. My Pioneer DV-434 player plays VCDs superbly. Bootleg VCDs aren't authored properly and usually aren't made from high quality master material.

But this VCD set is legit, and the quality is very good, IMO. I have both the VCD and DVD set and while there is indeed a significant difference in quality (the DVDs are stunning), it is worth the $20 that the VCD trilogy is going for.
Old 12-07-03, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I have that set as well. Quality was pretty poor on my friends 36 inch trinitron (old school Sony, nothing to brag about) but looked about like VHS on my 20 inch Panasonic TV. They are PnS though, which is something I didn't even think of when I bought them. I think it's a pretty good set though, for being VCDs and all.
Old 12-07-03, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

WOW!! People on this site who are obsessed with OAR are saying $20 is worth it for cropped Star Wars P&S

Old 12-07-03, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Yeah, 20 bucks isn't a lot of money. I spend more on food when I go out. so 20 bucks on three films isn't that much.

though in my defense it's more like a collectors addiction to get the trilogy on as many different formats possible.
Old 12-07-03, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
Yeah, 20 bucks isn't a lot of money. I spend more on food when I go out. so 20 bucks on three films isn't that much.

though in my defense it's more like a collectors addiction to get the trilogy on as many different formats possible.
umm....it's P&S!!
Old 12-08-03, 03:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

What's with the long discussion about something that doesn;t belong in this forum?! VCD
s are HARDLY DVD's and we shouldn't be lower the level of this forum with subpar crap talk!
Old 12-08-03, 04:40 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally posted by Class316
umm....it's P&S!!

Yes, but frankly, I'm willing to say that prior to buying dvd's 50% of all the folks on these forums never went to the trouble of hunting down VHS in wide screen. I say that with confidence simply because I did and I know how much of a pain it was to find someone who did carry WS vhs. it was a niche market. All those who did like WS were ontop of LD's and even those were pricey. Suncoast was one of the best markets for WS video's but even those were well priced at the very least 10 bucks more then P&S. Why? because unlike today, back then folks were not educated in the fine art of WS. So I bought the VCD's in P&S.. eh, I'm a collector of star wars items. It's what I do.

The VCD's never came out in WS and if they did I would have them. I'm a star wars collector and when I found out they had these I bought them even though I already had many different versions of the LD's and the VHS box sets.
Old 12-08-03, 06:49 AM

Originally posted by SMART-ASS
As much as I love DVDTalk, and as much of an invaluable assett it is me and my dvd collecting, there is one thing that constantly irks me here. It's when people decide to open their big fat mouths when they don't have a clue as to what they're talking about.

THE STAR WARS OT 6-DISC VCD SET IS NOT
BOOTLEG MATERIAL!
As mentioned above, in other regions of the world, there are tons of movies licensed for VCD production. They can be bought at major e-tailers all over the net.

I bought this set of VCDs about 2 years ago. They do suck compared to dvd, but they ARE better than vhs... unless you have one of those really fancy and expensive professional quality vcrs. As for most people, it's just ever so slightly better than vhs. The set comes in a cardboard box, not bad looking, but nothing fancy. Each movie is on 2 discs, because of course you can't fit as much info on vcds as you can dvds. Each movie also is packaged in a jewel case (like a cd), with artwork too (again, like a cd). I didn't own the set very long and can't remember if there were extra features on the discs or not. If you have to have these movies, I would suggest not buying this set, but yet trying to obtain them on a better form of media.
I have this VCD set. It is identical to the most recent VHS release of the OT, the one in the gold/black packaging. The video is full frame, and is about equal to VHS. You can play these discs in many DVD players, but I know that PS2 will not play them. You can also play them in any CD-ROM equipped PC. If you are looking for a DVD-quality experience, save your money. For that matter, even the DVD boots are not even that great IMHO.
Old 12-08-03, 07:47 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Qui Gon Jim
If you are looking for a DVD-quality experience, save your money. For that matter, even the DVD boots are not even that great IMHO.
The boots are still better than VCD, and a hell of a lot better than P&S VCD.
Old 12-08-03, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally posted by Class316
The boots are still better than VCD, and a hell of a lot better than P&S VCD.
Your posts imply that we don't know that. Of course we do! But if you want the trilogy via "legit" channels on a durable media, these VCDs are currently the only thing available.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.