Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Is there a good chance of a Maltese Falcon SE?

Community
Search

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-03, 01:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

And how is the DVD thats out now in terms of audio/video quality anyway? I've read mixed reviews. Should I get that one or hold out for a SE?
Old 11-09-03, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The current DVD is great, but the print has some very light nitrate decomposition in one or two reels and a few shots from a dupe source. The audio is perfect, though. Perhaps WB would need to have LDI do a digital restoration for it.

Warner Bros. could do a "Night at the Movies" style 2-disc release. For the first disc, they could have a commentary or two recorded (Perhaps one by Roger Ebert or Rudy Behlmer). They could also have the trailer, cartoon, short subject, and a newsreel before the film.

The 2nd disc could have the 1931 and 1936 versions of the story (the latter stars Bette Davis), the Bogart trailers featurette from the old disc, and perhaps a new making-of documentary.
Old 11-09-03, 02:13 PM

Originally posted by PatrickMcCart
The current DVD is great, but the print has some very light nitrate decomposition in one or two reels and a few shots from a dupe source. The audio is perfect, though. Perhaps WB would need to have LDI do a digital restoration for it.

Warner Bros. could do a "Night at the Movies" style 2-disc release. For the first disc, they could have a commentary or two recorded (Perhaps one by Roger Ebert or Rudy Behlmer). They could also have the trailer, cartoon, short subject, and a newsreel before the film.

The 2nd disc could have the 1931 and 1936 versions of the story (the latter stars Bette Davis), the Bogart trailers featurette from the old disc, and perhaps a new making-of documentary.
That's what I was thinking. No need to elaborate here...
Old 11-09-03, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
I have heard very little about a re-release, but given how famous the Maltese Falcon is, a 2-disc set seems reasonable. Of course Warner has many possible 2-disc classics they haven't done including: Network, Streetcar Named Desire, The Wild Bunch, Gone with the wind, Wizard of Oz, North by Northwest (although the last few are good discs as is). So it may be a while...

I think the current edition is decent
Old 11-09-03, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
things can always be better...but dont be foolish and wait around for something that may never come. enjoy the film now...the current dvd helps you do that. think of it as a girl....not too ugly, and good enough till that drop-dead dame comes walking down the street.

Last edited by gutwrencher; 11-09-03 at 04:38 PM.
Old 11-09-03, 07:49 PM

Originally posted by gutwrencher
things can always be better...but dont be foolish and wait around for something that may never come. enjoy the film now...the current dvd helps you do that. think of it as a girl....not too ugly, and good enough till that drop-dead dame comes walking down the street.
lol. I like the analogy, but unfortunately being a college student and a DVD collector often causes problems, a few of which can be avoided by trying really hard to not end up double dipping on the same movie when at all possible. Still, I might have to just ignore my instinct and pick it up anyway. Gone With the Wind is another one that I've avoided in anticipation of a SE, but maybe I'll have to pick it up as well.
Old 11-10-03, 12:37 AM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
There's a very good chance of a Maltese Falcon SE, but as it hasn't even been *announced* yet you're at least 6 months away from having it in your hands.

Why not enjoy the current disc for the next six months?
Old 11-10-03, 06:42 AM

Originally posted by kingtopher
Gone With the Wind is another one that I've avoided in anticipation of a SE, but maybe I'll have to pick it up as well.
Do not buy "Gone With the Wind" now. September 2004 will see a 2-disc SE 65th Anniversary edition of GWTW. I remember reading it somewhere (I think here). You may want to do a search on it. Sorry, but I'm too lazy to provide a link to that thread.
Old 11-10-03, 06:57 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'll wait for an SE. There's plenty of other films to watch in the meantime.
Old 11-10-03, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I'd be very surprised if somewhere, sometime, somehow a 2-disc SE didn't show up.
Old 11-10-03, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by marty888
I'd be very surprised if somewhere, sometime, somehow a 2-disc SE didn't show up.
no doubt
Old 11-10-03, 09:04 PM

Yeah, there's a lot of classic films that I have yet to pick up so I don't really need to get it right now. Think I might just hold out for a while in hopes of a SE being announced. Thanks everyone.

And thanks for the tip about Gone With the Wind, Tarnower!
Old 11-11-03, 02:06 PM
SeeNo Member

I would get a SE too but I don't wanna wait too long.