Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

how much is Ed Wood R1 SE OOP worth?

Old 10-11-03, 03:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have it in mint condition, cant see anything on ebay that is the R1, only other regions, just wondering how much it might be worth?
Old 10-11-03, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It's not really worth much. It used to go for ridiculous sums of money, but posting it now, most people will either assume bootleg, go Region 2, or just flat-out not care. Well, that's not fair. I guess some will still care. But they might expect a re-release, since it's not something that technically went "OOP", but got pulled, for whatever reason. Who knows?

But, I'd be willing to buy your copy for a fair price. And before you go thinking I'm interested in acquiring it from you at a lower-than-normal price only to resell it higher, click on my collection link. I'm a huge Johnny Depp fan and this is one that needs to be in my collection. Been considering going codefree just for this (well, and some other stuff, but mainly for this). If you don't even want it, don't sell it off just so you can get some big payout that you might not even get. Sell it to a DVD fan like yourself (I hope), that loves movies and was the reason we all got into this mess in the first place.

K
Old 10-11-03, 07:44 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Cornelius1047
It's not really worth much. It used to go for ridiculous sums of money, but posting it now, most people will either assume bootleg, go Region 2, or just flat-out not care. Well, that's not fair. I guess some will still care. But they might expect a re-release, since it's not something that technically went "OOP", but got pulled, for whatever reason. Who knows?

But, I'd be willing to buy your copy for a fair price. And before you go thinking I'm interested in acquiring it from you at a lower-than-normal price only to resell it higher, click on my collection link. I'm a huge Johnny Depp fan and this is one that needs to be in my collection. Been considering going codefree just for this (well, and some other stuff, but mainly for this). If you don't even want it, don't sell it off just so you can get some big payout that you might not even get. Sell it to a DVD fan like yourself (I hope), that loves movies and was the reason we all got into this mess in the first place.

K
Experianced member vs. new guy.

Wow, 1st the knock."oh the dvd aight worth much" yadda yadda.

Then the offer "I'm nice enough to buy that worthless thing from you for a good price" yadda yadda.

Classic, just classic.
Old 10-11-03, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Just go code-free Cornelius, that's what I done. I'm a huge Depp fan and I gave up Disney releasing it again in the States and I also don't want to pay out the a$$ for a Region 1 copy.

I'm more than happy with my PAL SE of it.

XploitedCinema.com has them . That's where I got mine.
Old 10-11-03, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just picked up the NTSC version from CD Japan for $23. It looks like there's a low-priced version coming out in November for $18 in Japan.
Old 10-11-03, 08:40 PM
Defunct Account

Hey guywhotrades, you might want to be on the boards a little before you start slinging mud. Cornelius1047 has been an active member of DVDTalk for a while and has built up a good reputation.

The thing is, what he says is absolutely true. There is not that much interest in this disc right now. If he was lying, you might have a point, but he isn't, and you don't.

A new guy shooting his mouth off and looking like a jerk. Classic, just classic.

-Videophile
Old 10-11-03, 08:57 PM

RichardW-
You mentioned that you picked up a "NTSC" version from Japan..Does that mean, you can play this on any Region 1 player??? Either way, please let me know where you got this, I would be quite interested in looking into this. I too am a fan of the movie, Tim Burton and Johnny Depp and have been foaming at the mouth to get this into my collection ( But not enough to buy this off E-BAY)
Thanks
Old 10-11-03, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by guywhotrades
Experianced member vs. new guy.

Wow, 1st the knock."oh the dvd aight worth much" yadda yadda.

Then the offer "I'm nice enough to buy that worthless thing from you for a good price" yadda yadda.

Classic, just classic.
And yet the Experienced Member was correct. These DVD's aren't worth much today. The first month after the date it was supposed to be released it was going for a lot, but those days are long gone. Anyone who wants this movie already has gotten it through other means, usually well under $20.

free2002, could you post the features on the DVD? Interested to see how it compares to the R2 UK version, I believe it's the exact same but would like to know for sure. As for selling it, might want to reconsider and hang on to it for awhile. Something might happen that will generate high demand again.

Unfortunately what happened was that about the same time the rare R1 was being sold on Ebay for enormous prices, region free players started to flood the market at dirt cheap ($60) prices. People who really wanted this movie could buy a new player and the R2disc for less than the R1 DVD.
Old 10-12-03, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

wakwak007,

I guess I should have clarified my post a little better. While it is NTSC, it is also the R2 Japanese disc, so you'd need to have a region-free player to watch it. Sorry about that.
Old 10-12-03, 09:27 AM

Thanks for clarifying RichardW!
I have been wanting to get a region free player for awhile and one of these reasons is this movie...I guess I just need to saving ..Thanks for the info..
Old 10-12-03, 10:21 AM

If you are serious about wanted to sell your Ed Wood Region 1 DVD, please let me know. Thanks.
Old 10-12-03, 10:55 AM

well i didn't actually buy it to sell for a profit, i like Tim Burton movies, even though imho his latest efforts haven't been as good as his earlier stuff like Beetlejuice. A friend mentioned to me after i bought it that its OOP. Not to say i wouldn't sell if i was at a point where i wanted something else and was using it to fund that, as its not exactly my type of movie. Seeing as its somewhat valuable i will probably hold onto it for awhile.
I understand what you are saying Cornelius but i think you may be assuming that because someone wants to know a dollar value of something in their collection, that they are wanting to sell it for profit. If an antique collector wanted to know the value of their rarest item they most likely would not want to know because they are going to sell it straight away but just to have the satisfaction in knowing that they have picked out a fine specimen. I get satisfaction knowing that i have something rare-ish, it makes up for all those new releases i pay top $ for on day of release only to have them plummet to half that price a few mths later, and if i ever want or need to sell them i lose money on them. I would never pay alot for something out of print if it was available in another region, Australia has been codefree pretty much since dvd players started rolling out, logically so as we have less titles to choose from in R4 and most collectors import alot from R1, hence the demand for codefree.
What i am really interested in is why it was withdrawn for sale? i presume that was the reason, not because it was un-popular so they didn't bother doing another run of them. censorship issues?
Old 10-12-03, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I didn't mean to imply that the only reason you had it was to make bank on it. I understand wanting to have the rarest (or close to) version of an item. It's why I sold off my paper sleeve T2: Ultimate Edition when I found the metal sleeve one. Sure, I lost about 3 bux in the deal, but at least I got the version I wanted most.

K
Old 10-12-03, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by LivingINClip
Just go code-free Cornelius...
This is what I think I'm going to do. Maybe as a Christmas gift to myself.

K
Old 10-12-03, 04:31 PM
Suspended

How is it not going for much lately??

what's your source?

It's pretty rare..
Old 10-12-03, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I never knew there was a R1 Ed Wood. Is there a cover shot anywhere?
Old 10-12-03, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
It was delayed at the last minute but some copies went out. I would imagen once it's anounced again to be released that the price will drop down to MSRP
Old 10-12-03, 09:56 PM
Banned

Originally posted by videophile
Hey guywhotrades, you might want to be on the boards a little before you start slinging mud. Cornelius1047 has been an active member of DVDTalk for a while and has built up a good reputation.

The thing is, what he says is absolutely true. There is not that much interest in this disc right now. If he was lying, you might have a point, but he isn't, and you don't.

A new guy shooting his mouth off and looking like a jerk. Classic, just classic.

-Videophile
FYI, I have been here longer than you. Just changed handle.

So keep that "new guy" bashing stuff to yourself.

What difference if I was here 1 day or 5 years. I see it as I do, and I say it as I see it.
Old 10-12-03, 10:02 PM
X
Administrator

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally posted by guywhotrades
FYI, I have been here longer than you. Just changed handle.

So keep that "new guy" bashing stuff to yourself.

What difference if I was here 1 day or 5 years. I see it as I do, and I say it as I see it.
What was your old handle?

We prefer to change someone's name for them instead of having them violate DVD Talk's rule against multiple accounts.
Old 10-12-03, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
This was posted 10/10 on the HTF ...

I saw a screening of Ed Wood on 10/3 and the writers of the film, Scott Alexander and Larry Karaszewski, said they had recorded a commentary for the dvd and that it would be released on March 23rd.
So to answer the OP question - if the above is correct - less now.
Old 10-12-03, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by free2002
What i am really interested in is why it was withdrawn for sale? i presume that was the reason, not because it was un-popular so they didn't bother doing another run of them. censorship issues?
None of the above. There was 1 run of these DVD's, and they were all sent out to stores. The day they were released in the US the studio did a recall on them. Some copies, like yours, were sold before the store got notice of the recall.

They were recalled because it had a feature from the R2 disc that wasn't licensed for North American release. This is why I'm really interested in you listing the extras on the disc. Please do that if you get a chance.
Old 10-13-03, 08:28 AM

ok i have just scanned the cover and you can view it at:

http://free2002.d2.net.au/edwood.jpg

in case the writings a bit small to read extras are:
'Making Bella' make-up featurette.
Production design feature 'Pie Plates Over Hollywood'
Behind the scenes 'Lets Shoot This $%^er!'
'the Theremin' documentary.
'When Carol Met Larry' cross-dressing introspective.
Audio Commentary with cast & film makers.

its in widescreen 1:85:1 & dolby 5.1. & also has a pretty kewl animated menu.
Old 10-13-03, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Thanks!
Old 10-13-03, 03:15 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Ahh, that cover. Another reason to grab the R2.
Thanks for posting it though. I was curious to see what they had planned.
Old 10-14-03, 06:50 AM

what do you mean 'that cover'?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.