Four Criterions going OOP on December 31st

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-03, 10:59 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Four Criterions going OOP on December 31st

It's been rumoured for a while, but now it's official:

http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=5917

Don't fall prey to the Ebay sharks - buy them today!
Old 10-28-03, 11:02 AM

Damn, Straw Dogs sure wasn't out long.
Old 10-28-03, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The contract for Straw Dogs was a short one. They knew from the beginning that it would have a brief release window... that's why the disc cover says "Limited Release" or something to that effect.
Old 10-28-03, 11:32 AM

Do you think Straw Dogs will jump up in selling price once it goes OOP?

Or is the time for that kind of stuff pretty much over with?
Old 10-28-03, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts
For the lazy:

Criterion has announced on its website that four of their DVDs are to go out of print on December 31st 2003. The discs are Notorious, Rebecca, Spellbound and Straw Dogs.

All four discs contain the finest transfers available and copious supplements exclusive to each release. In this contributor's opinion, Stephen Prince's commentary on Straw Dogs is one of the most brilliant and insightful ever recorded.

The three Hitchcock titles are also available in a 5-disc giftpack Wrong Men and Notorious Women: Five Hitchcock Thrillers 1935-1946, which also contains The 39 Steps and The Lady Vanishes (neither of which are being discontinued in the near future), all for a considerable 37.5% discount.
Thanks for the heads-up ...I've got some shopping to do. This OOP business is getting ridiculous.
Old 10-28-03, 11:45 AM

Originally posted by Gyno Rhino
Do you think Straw Dogs will jump up in selling price once it goes OOP?

Or is the time for that kind of stuff pretty much over with?
The price will most definitely jump, money is money and we all want more.
Old 10-28-03, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks for the reminder - the only one I don't have is Spellbound which I just ordered from DeepDiscount for $28.76.
Old 10-28-03, 12:02 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
I've got all of them except Straw Dogs, which based on what I've read about it, is far to violent for my tastes.

Not that anyone asked.
Old 10-28-03, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Now I need to pick up the Straw Dogs that I have been putting off purchasing. I have no idea how I am going to fit that into my budget at this point. I can't even afford all the others Oh well.

Thanks for the heads up.
Old 10-28-03, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Chad
This OOP business is getting ridiculous.
I don't understand this logic. I have no problem with DVDs going out of print. It sounds like everyone in this thread is now only buying these DVDs b/c they "are going out of print". Nothing more, just the collector mentality & not the movie fan. If you liked any of these movies you would own them buy now & not just wait for them to be announced as going out of print for an incentive to buy them.
Old 10-28-03, 12:40 PM

Originally posted by JasonFliegel
I've got all of them except Straw Dogs, which based on what I've read about it, is far to violent for my tastes.
Jason:

I am not a fan of gratuitous violence either, but I think this Peckinpah film--and Criterion's excellent 2-disc set--are essential viewing. I had avoided this film because of its reputation, but Stephen Prince's excellent audio commentary and Criterion's supplementary materials really put the film in context: Peckinpah was criticizing violence in America, the macho attitude, and even the Vietnam war with this film.

I highly recommend this set.
Old 10-28-03, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Sessa17
I don't understand this logic. I have no problem with DVDs going out of print. It sounds like everyone in this thread is now only buying these DVDs b/c they "are going out of print". Nothing more, just the collector mentality & not the movie fan. If you liked any of these movies you would own them buy now & not just wait for them to be announced as going out of print for an incentive to buy them.
I think it adds a bit of urgency, but I'm not so sure that going OOP is, in itself, reason (for me anyways). If I know a DVD is going OOP, I'll re-think whether I want to buy it if it is one that I have previously considered, basically, because I know I'm running out of time to make the decision.

Essentially, it potentially gives a DVD a bump up on my priority list if I know it is going OOP.
Old 10-28-03, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Sessa17
If you liked any of these movies you would own them buy now & not just wait for them to be announced as going out of print for an incentive to buy them.
Oh really? Well then, I guess I'll just run right out and buy the 300 or 400 dvds that I want RIGHT NOW.... oh wait, I can't do that, I'm not rich.

For those of us who spend our budget on these damned things, sometimes oop status does become a factor in deciding which ones to buy at this moment.

There are many dvds out there that I would like to have, and by your logic, that I should already have in my collection. Thing is, I'm neither rich nor a thief, so when a dvd goes oop that I've had on the backburner due to my budget, it sails right to the very top.

Criticize that all you want, but to me, it seems only logical.
Old 10-28-03, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
now if only that $60 in bb rewards would get here so i could pick up the Hitchcock set already!!!!!!!!! dammit!!!!!!!!!!

and Mutley: exactly....i can't exactly afford the 50 criterions i'd love to own, or the 200 other titles on my wishlist...especially since i'm buying a house and can only pick and choose a couple of titles a month.
Old 10-28-03, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by JasonFliegel

Not that anyone asked.
Looking at your collection I don't see that being the case. Personally i didn't care for the film and it will probably be atleast a decade before I have any interest in seeing it again but the violence wouldn't appear to be a reason for you to avoid it based on your collection. I don't seem to recall it being equal or worse than some that youown (I saw the film for the first time almost a year ago).
Old 10-28-03, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts
Originally posted by talemyn
I think it adds a bit of urgency, but I'm not so sure that going OOP is, in itself, reason (for me anyways). If I know a DVD is going OOP, I'll re-think whether I want to buy it if it is one that I have previously considered, basically, because I know I'm running out of time to make the decision.

Essentially, it potentially gives a DVD a bump up on my priority list if I know it is going OOP.
Exactly. If I had the money and resources to go out and buy every single DVD I wanted to own on release date, I probably would ...but unfortunately I don't. Straw Dogs is a movie that I've always had an intention of owning, but somehow it just slipped through the cracks. Basically, I can wait longer and pay an ungodly amount on ebay, or buy it now and be assured of receiving it at a halfway reasonable price. I choose the latter.
Old 10-28-03, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Chad
Exactly. If I had the money and resources to go out and buy every single DVD I wanted to own on release date, I probably would ...but unfortunately I don't. Straw Dogs is a movie that I've always had an intention of owning, but somehow it just slipped through the cracks. Basically, I can wait longer and pay an ungodly amount on ebay, or buy it now and be assured of receiving it at a halfway reasonable price. I choose the latter.
Exactly. Straw Dogs is something I have wanted, and have had it in my hands plenty of times but there is usually another Limited Edition item that takes precedence, and anyone who collects anime DVDs knows how quickly some of those LEs go. Going OOP is not a reason to buy it, but if it is a movie you want (and have put it off) it will add an urgency to purchasing it.
Old 10-28-03, 01:23 PM

OOP Criterions are worth tons. I bought " Sid and Nancy " just before it went OOP for $66.80CDN. A month later it was selling for $135CDN.
Old 10-28-03, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've been wanting to get Spellbound since I'm a big hitchcock fan I haven't had a lot of extra $$$, but if it's going OOP then for $25 shipped from Overstock it's no so bad.
Old 10-28-03, 01:57 PM
Cool New Member

Strawdogs is SOLD OUT on overstock already??!!??
Old 10-28-03, 01:59 PM
SeeNo Member

I've been wanting Straw Dogs for a while and I finally have some extra money just in time to get it before it goes OOP.
Old 10-28-03, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,259 Likes on 837 Posts
Can always get the R2 Straw Dogs which is on par with the criterion Release. Well ok, almost:

http://www.dvdcompare.org.uk/compari...e.php?fid=1739
Old 10-28-03, 02:16 PM
Cool New Member

Do you guys think I could wait a month to buy Straw Dogs? If it is goin OOP in December then it should still be around until then without ebay going nuts right?
Old 10-28-03, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Mutley Hyde
Oh really? Well then, I guess I'll just run right out and buy the 300 or 400 dvds that I want RIGHT NOW.... oh wait, I can't do that, I'm not rich.

For those of us who spend our budget on these damned things, sometimes oop status does become a factor in deciding which ones to buy at this moment.

There are many dvds out there that I would like to have, and by your logic, that I should already have in my collection. Thing is, I'm neither rich nor a thief, so when a dvd goes oop that I've had on the backburner due to my budget, it sails right to the very top.

Criticize that all you want, but to me, it seems only logical.
Where did I criticize? All I said was I don't understand it & explained why. How is that criticizing? And I still don't understand the logic. The DVDs I really want are the ones I buy, if something is going OOP, & I didn't have it already, than I didn't want it that bad. Yeah, there are probably hundreds that I would like, but if I didn't get it already it obviously isn't that high on my want list, so if it's going OOP, oh well big deal. But in this thread when there is post after post of that are badically people saying, DAMN, it's OOP now I must get it. That just makes no sense to me & seems like a collector mentality. I'm not criticizing it, but despite how people explain it, that is all it is. Especially if they are people like you that "blow their budget on these damn things". If you are blowing your entire budget on DVDs, & you still don't have a DVD but once it's announced it's out of print you now must get it, I'm sorry but you clearly don't like that movie that much, you just want it b/c it's going OOP.
Old 10-28-03, 02:50 PM

So let's say some people want it just because it's going OOP. Maybe they'll try and sell it later for a net gain.

What's the problem?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.