Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Guys with LOTS of dvd's.... (how do you store them?)

Community
Search

Guys with LOTS of dvd's.... (how do you store them?)

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-03, 10:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Guys/gals with LOTS of dvd's....

I dont mean like 100 or so, Im talking 500+.

How do you store them all? I have near or above 1000 dvd's and I have like NO room left. 2 Big book shelves filled, other assorted places have dvd's and the Floor.

What do you do?

Greg

Last edited by nexus_7; 10-22-03 at 11:05 PM.
Old 10-22-03, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
I'm having the same problem. 1,004 and counting.

I don't really want them in my living room, because let's face it, 1000+ dvds is kinda geeky and just retarded. I'm thinking of installing some shelves in my hallway closet. At least that would take care of about 700 or so, and then I may put the rest in my living room (which would be my latest purchases).
Old 10-22-03, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Shelves, and you don't necessarily have to have them all in one room.
Old 10-22-03, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
just a few under 1500 and I just have 1 room used for them all. I am remodeling my extra bedroom to relocate them to. it is a bigger room.
Old 10-22-03, 11:01 PM

I have been trying to convince this one company to make a Old style (looking) jukebox that has a compasity of 2000 dvd's. so far its a NO go. they say there isnt enough intreast in a product like that. I offcourse gave them the link to dvdtalk and said...um yea...NOT enough intreast, Sure there isnt. My guess is it would cost to much $ to produce for now atleast. But I think that would be an awsome product. and maybe have it expandable with like extra racks in other rooms or somethign hooked up over fiber or something. eithor way, they said no.

I have the majority of single sized boxes in my TV room (consisting of the 2 home made book shelves), then all the anime up by the spare TV, and the box sets elsewhere.

Maybe I will jsut have to make another bookshelve system for now.

Greg
Old 10-22-03, 11:03 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
guys with LOTS of dvd's have big.......

wallets.
Old 10-22-03, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by nexus_7
I have been trying to convince this one company to make a Old style (looking) jukebox that has a compasity of 2000 dvd's.
What a FANTASTERRIFIC idea.

And I don't use the term FANTASTERRIFIC often!
... mainly because it looks retarded.
Old 10-22-03, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by DonnachaOne
... mainly because it looks retarded.
Old 10-23-03, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Giles
guys with LOTS of dvd's have big.......

wallets.
Big

Empty

Wallets.

I'm pushing 700 discs. Had about 1000 vhs, most stored in those Sauder (I think) storage cabinets, two shelves tall and shelves inside the doors. If you take off the bases, they stack fairly nicely.

You don't need the door shelves, cause the cases don't fit, and they won't shut with snappers anyway.

76 Amaray/Alpha singles or 86 crappers in each.

Since I've sold most of my vhs, I've got plenty of compasity.
Originally posted by DVD Polizei
let's face it, 1000+ dvds is kinda geeky and just retarded.
Old 10-23-03, 12:42 AM

I don't have a huge number of disks (maybe a couple hundred) but I've already taken to storing most of them in binders and just storing the cases somewhere out of site. They don't get scratched up as long as you buy a quality binder and are careful with them. This way I can store my entire collection right on my coffee table if I want.

There are exceptions though. Some titles I keep in their cases but most go in the binder.
Old 10-23-03, 12:50 AM
Cool New Member

1000+ dvds?!!! dayam! when you count your collection, do box sets count as one? like say fotr extended edition...is that one dvd out of 1000, or 4 out of 1000? what about 2-disc special editions???
Old 10-23-03, 12:59 AM

thats 1. like star trek next gen season 1 is 1 disk not 7. I basicaly look at it like if you cant buy them seperatly then its 1. Atleast for the most part. Indiana Jones box set is 3 cause its 3 seperate movies. and movies that take up 2 disks are ONE, and I dont count bonus disks.

I havent counted in a while, maybe Ill do that tomarow. I always miss some though eithor at friends houses or something along those lines.

Greg
Old 10-23-03, 01:12 AM

I never got into VHS's, have a bunch of anime, lots of TV shows, and have watched most all of them. hay, my mini tv setup is right next to MY pc so I can do 2 thigns at once.

Greg
Old 10-23-03, 02:08 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
Lucian55,

But before you do, put me in your will.
Old 10-23-03, 02:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Right now I am storing my collection (nearly 1600 titles) in numerous oak shelves, and more spilling out of boxes, since I have run out of shelf space.

However, that will be changing soon. I plan to convert many of my less "essential" titles into either binders or some other form of compact storage, with the cases stored in the attic. Of course, there are still many titles that require display in their cases, so those will obviously always be visible. But, do people really need to be able to see the case for my copy of Rain Man or Mission Impossible? I think, for most titles, having a page in an index binder (printed from DVD Profiler) would be more than sufficient, and would reduce my space requirements by about 80%.
Old 10-23-03, 04:16 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Lucian55,

But before you do, put me in your will.
No need to wait that long. In a few years you can buy them for a couple bucks a piece when everyone starts replacing them with HD-DVD versions.
Old 10-23-03, 04:25 AM
Uber Member

I just went over 700. This picture is from when I had around 500: http://images.andale.com/f2/115/106/..._shelves_2.jpg

My father in law installed them. I need another shelf now. I'll probably move the sub (lower left corner of the pic) and put it there. What I really like about it is that, when I have enough room, I can have a few titles face out which allows me to show off titles I particularly like or that have nice or interesting case designs.

FYI, I count mine by title, except for tv series, where I go by discs. So Indianna is 3, but Alias is 6. I figure that each disc of Alias (or most TV series sets) has well over 2 hours of content, and that's the equivalent of a single movie.
Old 10-23-03, 04:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have over 1000, I count box sets as 1. I store most of mine in Sorice B-300 cabinets with black glass doors. 5 in my main room, 2 in my bedroom. I have my family movies in my guest bedroom, those are on a bookcase. A while back I took almost all of my Amray single disc cases and converted them to thin pack cases, which almost doubled my space available.
Old 10-23-03, 05:27 AM
Banned

I currently have 510 DVD's in my collection. I count everything which has its own URL as a separate item. Thus, the Christopher Lee Collection is listed as four items as each disc has its own URL. I do not list the box set. On the other hand, the Nightmare On Elm Street Collection counts as only one item despite containing seven films as it has only one URL. I find that this allows for the greatest consistency.

I store my discs on small bookcases purchased from Suncoast Video which hold about 250 DVD's each. I currently have three as I store television programs separately from my film collection. This works well for me. Custom shelving may be my ultimate solution down the road.
Old 10-23-03, 06:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by RoboDad
Right now I am storing my collection (nearly 1600 titles) in numerous oak shelves, and more spilling out of boxes, since I have run out of shelf space.

However, that will be changing soon. I plan to convert many of my less "essential" titles into either binders or some other form of compact storage, with the cases stored in the attic. Of course, there are still many titles that require display in their cases, so those will obviously always be visible. But, do people really need to be able to see the case for my copy of Rain Man or Mission Impossible? I think, for most titles, having a page in an index binder (printed from DVD Profiler) would be more than sufficient, and would reduce my space requirements by about 80%.
Like you, I store select titles in boxes and only keep certain titles on display, I've considered binders, but I'm not convinced that I want to seperate the discs from the cases/inserts, etc. I have around 3,000 and absolutely no more room other than attic/basement storage.
Old 10-23-03, 07:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well, it seems I don’t have as many discs as I thought, since I count a disc as a disc and have quite a few boxed sets.
Old 10-23-03, 07:45 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I am just about to hit 300, and am about to buy some bookshelves from Ikea to store them in, Nice glass shelves to boot
Old 10-23-03, 10:46 AM

Well, Ill be looking into something thats for sure. lol.

Greg
Old 10-23-03, 10:51 AM

I have shelves everywhere but I'm starting to seriously run out of room. If I keep buying at my current rate I'm going to have to think about building a home out of keepcases.
Old 10-23-03, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I'm having the same problem. 1,004 and counting.

I don't really want them in my living room, because let's face it, 1000+ dvds is kinda geeky and just retarded. I'm thinking of installing some shelves in my hallway closet.
retarted? whatever. it makes you look like a film lover....proper titles included hopefully. when I did have the library in my LR...it looked great and I could care less what anyone would say. but hey....yer on the right track. I've been telling people to consider shelving up a walk-in closet for months now. a huge advantage!!!!

anyway....I have over 1,300 titles and will soon have nearly 2000...which should pretty much complete my library. I build it using personal enjoyment and reference as my tools. vet's of the board may want to stop reading...you've heard it all before.

I converted an old walk-in closet into my film vault. I built the shelving system, installed the locks and have trained my rottweiler well. perfect storage...perfect protection. too much $ invested to be screwing around half-assed. my personal library is more than a hobby. it's historical value is foaming at the mouth.

and no...I would never consider splitting up the collection. hey, wait a minute.....one genre per room...interesting.

Last edited by gutwrencher; 10-23-03 at 11:33 AM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.